Lastest Neo 2X build

Ron

Lastest Neo 2X build
« on: 28 Oct 2009, 07:10 pm »
 I just finished building another pair of the GR Research Neo 2X monitors today. Attached are a few pictures to show how turned out. In my opinion, the Neo 2X monitors are really wonderful sounding speakers. They never cease to amaze me with their open,transparent sound quality with excellent imaging and depth. On well recorded program sources, especially female vocals, you can really get drawn into the music. The B&G planer tweeter is very smooth, clean, and natural sounding. Never harsh. Transient response is lighting fast. Bass response is clean,fast, and well defined ,but not very deep. Best used with a good subwoofer to extend the low end. The Neo 2X really does offer a lot of bang for the buck. A real bargin in high end audio sound. The ones I just built have the Mills resistor and Sonicap crossover upgrades,No-Rez internal sound damping, and Vampire input terminal post. These upgrades do add to the overall cost of the speakers ,but are well worth the investment.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
Re: Lastest Neo 2X build
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2009, 07:21 pm »
Ron,

Very nice work.   :thumb:

Lou

saisunil

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2009, 08:41 pm »
Very nice looking indeed ...

I agree with you ....
I think GR Neo 2x are the biggest audiophile bang for the buck speakers of 2009 and they don't shy away from playing with the big fullrange players as long as goes with the Rythmic Sub...

Cheers

Ron

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2009, 09:11 pm »
 Thanks Lou and  Saisunil for your compliments. I really enjoyed building them. They are finished in natural cherry with about six (6) coats of polyurethane. When the Neo 2X is combined with a good sub like the Rythmic they compete very well with other high end full range speakers costing thousands of dollars.

RogerB

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2009, 09:33 pm »
Wow Ron!!!  You never cease to amaze me!!  Those are gorgeous!!!  I wish I could afford another pair of N2X's because I would jump all over those!!  I fully agree with all comments about the sound of these speakers.  They are absolutely amazing!  As noted above, pair them with a good sub and they easily compete with full range speakers costing thousands of dollars.

Everybody has a sound signature they like and I guess when Danny designed these he had me in mind!!!

Roger

grubyhalo

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2009, 09:17 am »
Thanks Lou and  Saisunil for your compliments. I really enjoyed building them. They are finished in natural cherry with about six (6) coats of polyurethane. When the Neo 2X is combined with a good sub like the Rythmic they compete very well with other high end full range speakers costing thousands of dollars.

Man, you make sweet speaks! Very nice!

brother love

« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2009, 01:13 pm »
Beautiful fit/ finish. Nicely done Ron! I also appreciate your findings re: the Neo 2x's.

Some questions for you if I may ... 

What crossover setting did you like best for the Neo 2x's when paired w/ a sub?

What did you drive the Neo 2x's with ?

I own av123 ELT 525 towers/ center & Rythmik F12G sub (that I purchased from Danny). Have you compared the Neo 2x's to other speakers of similar ilk?

And lastly, how far off wall worked best for the Neo 2x's ?
Edit: Looks like these are sealed w/ no rear port, so I assume this is less critical.

Thanks!

Ron

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2009, 01:59 pm »
Brother Love,

1. Crossover setting that I am using on my sub is around 50 hz. Seems to work best for my room. Presently using a ACI Titan II subwoofer which is sealed. Eventually plan to go with a Rythmic sub.

2. Presently using a Parasound HPA-850 preamp and HCA-1000A power amp which I like very much.

3. I have not had a chance to do a side by side comparison of the Neo 2X with any other similar type speakers other than a pair of AV-1's and ACI Emeralds. The Neo 2X's were clearly superior.

4. The Neo 2X's enclosures are sealed. Bass response is - 3 db at 65 hz. I presently have them spaced 2 feet from the back wall, 2 feet off the floor,and 3 feet from the side walls. This location works best in my room and provides the best image. Being sealed,they could be located closer to the rear wall,but don't image as well.

Ron

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2009, 04:39 pm »
Beautiful work there, Ron :thumb:  And, they do make beautiful music, don't they?

Sparky14

« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2009, 05:26 pm »
Brother Love, I'll post my impressions since I own a pair of Ron's Neo2Xs.

I have mine setup in a definite non-optimal manner. Mine normally reside in a TV console, about 3 feet apart. When the kids are away, I will pull them out and on top of the console, about 4 feet apart.

Driven by a nice Yamaha receiver. Paired with an av123 ULW-10 sealed sub, xover at 80 Hz. This yamaha receiver has an auto EQ feature, just hook up the mike and it does the work.

My prior speakers were the av123 Onix Reference 1. They were rear ported, so there was a problem being in the sealed TV console with a big mid-bass boost.

The Neo2X are better than the Ref1 in just about everything. The Ref1 has a bit wider horizontal imaging while the Neo2X has more vertical imaging. The Ref1 with no sub goes a bit lower. With the sub included, the Neo2X setup is just outstanding. Especially when the kids are away :)

Ron

« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2009, 06:56 pm »
 Thanks guys for comments about my Neo 2X's. Greatly appreciated.

Ron