Any update on the new arrays?

wshuff

« on: 19 Apr 2005, 06:46 pm »
With April coming to a close, I was just wondering if there is any news.

Also, Danny, the LS-6 is said to be about 5 feet 4 inches.  I'm figuring that's probably about 48 inches of Neos.  Give a couple of inches for the base, and another couple for the top, I'm guessing that in the configuation you're thinking about, the Neos and woofers start a foot or so off the floor.  I suppose that 64 inches is more than sufficient for seated listening, but probably not for standing.  As long as the cabinet volume stayed the same, would there be any problem making the cabinet taller by adding a bit more base.  Maybe raise it 8 inches or so, so that the total height is about the same as the Alphas.  The difference being that the line of Neos and woofers would start higher up on the cabinet.  I'm just thinking that I would prefer to cover people standing and maybe give up the ability to sit on the floor, although even altered I can't imagine being able to get lower than the lowest drivers.  Anyway, just wondering if this would be a problem.

Danny Richie

« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2005, 03:17 pm »
With April coming to a close, I was just wondering if there is any news.

Well the woofers were pretty well done and all specs looked great. Then I had them add the XBL^ motor structure and they are still trying to get it all figured out. This motor structure technology is still pretty new.

This has delayed the project some.

I know, everyone is waiting on these, but so am I.

I'm figuring that's probably about 48 inches of Neos.

Yep.

I'm guessing that in the configuation you're thinking about, the Neos and woofers start a foot or so off the floor.

Yep, again.

I suppose that 64 inches is more than sufficient for seated listening, but probably not for standing. As long as the cabinet volume stayed the same, would there be any problem making the cabinet taller by adding a bit more base. Maybe raise it 8 inches or so, so that the total height is about the same as the Alphas. The difference being that the line of Neos and woofers would start higher up on the cabinet. I'm just thinking that I would prefer to cover people standing and maybe give up the ability to sit on the floor, although even altered I can't imagine being able to get lower than the lowest drivers. Anyway, just wondering if this would be a problem.

One other thing to consider is that an ideal listening height is with ear level being near the center of the array. You would not want listening level to be at the bottom or top edge of the array.