Using a portable DAP player as a source for your home stereo system?

rocker9999

Is anyone using a portable DAP as a source for your home stereo system? I know most of the DAP players from Astell/Kerns, Sony etc / have mini plug outputs - for connecting headphones. But, is their voltage output high enough to feed an integrated amp? Essentially the portable DAP becomes your server/player. Any feed back appreciated - thanks!

matevana

Yes!  It's amazing how few people are going this route, but it does make a certain amount of sense. I have a Fiio X5 3rd gen DAP which can store up to a half terabyte of music over two micro-sd slots. The player outputs S/PDIF through a 3.5mm mini jack, which also serves as a gain adjustable PCM line out. I have had no issues driving a variety of power amps and integrateds with the line out.

Another advantage is the players DC power source, and resulting lack of noise. The dual AK dacs are great; I alternate between using the player's internal circuitry and my own Schiit Modi Multibit DAC.  The Fiio can stream from a variety of apps over Wifi and is bluetooth enabled. I currently use the bluetooth feature with a handheld remote, that can provide basic functionality from another room. One final advantage is it's portability. It is small and lightweight (about the size of my iPhone) and my entire rig (including power amp) can be moved and transported in seconds.     

timind

• permanent vacation
I use a 7th gen ipod classic most of the time in my main system. My ipod has been modded to accept two sd cards in place of the hard drive. I currently have a pair of 256gb cards loaded with AIFF files. Instead of using the headphone out, I feed the digital signal to my dac through a Nuforce icon ido.
Using the ipod as a transport sounds every bit as good as the Mac Mini. Oh yeah, the digital signal is routed to the dac through a Monarchy Audio Super DIP. The flip of a switch at the DIP determines whether the dac sees the Mac or ipod.

electricbear

I know a few people using the Pono this way without any issues.

mcgsxr

I have experimented using an iPod Touch (3rd gen) as a source for my setup.

I added playback to iPeng, and the Touch becomes a wifi player for my whole collection via Logitech Media Server.

I have enjoyed using it for my headphone setup, and for my portable (backyard BBQ) tunes.

If I added a DAC (one of those iPod dock/DAC things from various vendors including Wadia, Peachtree, iFi etc) it could be a very enjoyable and simple setup.

mr_bill

I've used a Sony NWZX2 line out into my Integrated and it sounds extremely good and has enough output.

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
Hey Now,

I'll second the Sony ZX-2 line out, sounds terrific as a source; sometimes I run it through an iFi iTube. I am limited to a low allowance on my home satellite internet, so I download Tidal offline content to the ZX-2, 128gb of storage, on the company wifi. It has proven to be a very versatile DAP, though Android support is limited, it is becoming more and more just a DAP. I also have an iMod (5.5 gen) I use as a source in another system. Which works quite well.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

charmerci

I should try my Fiio x1 and my ODAC through my main system. I imagine it would sound pretty decent.

matevana

I use a 7th gen ipod classic most of the time in my main system. My ipod has been modded to accept two sd cards in place of the hard drive. I currently have a pair of 256gb cards loaded with AIFF files. Instead of using the headphone out, I feed the digital signal to my dac through a Nuforce icon ido.
Using the ipod as a transport sounds every bit as good as the Mac Mini. Oh yeah, the digital signal is routed to the dac through a Monarchy Audio Super DIP. The flip of a switch at the DIP determines whether the dac sees the Mac or ipod.

How do you extract a digital signal from your iPod classic? Does the NuForce ido accept a USB connector from the iPod, and if so, how does it sound?  I have used the Pure i20 dock with my iPod, and it wasn't too shabby for what it was.

Tacit

Yes!  It's amazing how few people are going this route, but it does make a certain amount of sense. I have a Fiio X5 3rd gen DAP which can store up to a half terabyte of music over two micro-sd slots. The player outputs S/PDIF through a 3.5mm mini jack, which also serves as a gain adjustable PCM line out. I have had no issues driving a variety of power amps and integrateds with the line out.

Another advantage is the players DC power source, and resulting lack of noise. The dual AK dacs are great; I alternate between using the player's internal circuitry and my own Schiit Modi Multibit DAC.  The Fiio can stream from a variety of apps over Wifi and is bluetooth enabled. I currently use the bluetooth feature with a handheld remote, that can provide basic functionality from another room. One final advantage is it's portability. It is small and lightweight (about the size of my iPhone) and my entire rig (including power amp) can be moved and transported in seconds.   

Sir, I plan to buy modi multibit and wonder if you or anyone else used portable DAP as digital transport with it? Thank you!

mrhyfy

I'm using a Sabaj DA3 behind my laptop running JRiver.  I Macgyvered a 2.5 mm TRRS cable to XLR's to feed my amp.  It sounds just about a good as anything that I have used previously.  Very impressed. Very cost effective.