OB W-frame build

aceinc

Re: OB W-frame build
« Reply #40 on: 6 Apr 2017, 08:42 pm »
My KEF 105.4s have the original MFR casters, and I appreciate them when moving them.

I have wood floors in the listening room, spikes are out. If I do ball casters I will put them in "cups" when I position them.

I have no base on the woofer cabinets (W frame), I did extend the outer cabinet by 3/4" front & back to handle a grill cloth, however.

BTW, I would post more pictures, but nobody even commented on my "large woofer" in the last pictures, so I assume no one cares.

Danny Richie

« Reply #41 on: 6 Apr 2017, 10:51 pm »
BTW, I would post more pictures, but nobody even commented on my "large woofer" in the last pictures, so I assume no one cares.

Not everyone that views the pictures make a comment. But a lot of people look and like to see build pics. So far 2,190 have viewed your thread.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 6 Apr 2017, 10:59 pm »
I've had a couple subwoofers (sub = smaller in this case, Basset hound & Basset/Begal mix) in my pics in the past.

It's always nice to see our supervisors, uhh furry friends in the shop. Unfortunately I quite frequently have to chase mine out because they are either right under my feet or between me and where I want to go (and with no inclination to move I might add).

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #43 on: 6 Apr 2017, 11:03 pm »
Ace, I doubt the lack of responses indicate a lack of caring...for sure that's not the case for me.  I actually had to go back and see what the "big woofer" reference was!

Folks here (including me) like process photos. I like to think it helps to propel their own projects or perhaps spur imaginations.

Over the years, I've posted of many what I thought were clever comments on my build blogs that fell on deaf ears, or so it seemed. But I guess someone's looking in, as you've got a couple thousand views.

Remember that most of us here are introverted, basement-dwelling trolls!

Not all will get that reference, but it will be funny to some.

Oh, and nice dog.

aceinc

« Reply #44 on: 7 Apr 2017, 01:35 pm »
One question I have that I keep forgetting to ask is, "Has anyone else built the W frame version?"

I think I looked for a build thread earlier, but didn't find anything.

Danny Richie

« Reply #45 on: 7 Apr 2017, 01:49 pm »
One question I have that I keep forgetting to ask is, "Has anyone else built the W frame version?"

I think I looked for a build thread earlier, but didn't find anything.

Yes, a lot of people have.

aceinc

« Reply #46 on: 7 Apr 2017, 02:37 pm »
Is tinning the leads before putting them in the spring clips on the woofers the best approach to connecting the woofers?

If not what is the best way to connect the leads to the woofers?

Since I have chosen to mount the amplifier on the back of the cabinet (against sage advice) I notice that there is a close proximity between the magnet on the woofer and the torroidal transformer on the amplifier.
Will this be an issue?

If so what ameliorates this problem in traditional sealed cabinets?

Danny Richie

« Reply #47 on: 7 Apr 2017, 02:56 pm »
Is tinning the leads before putting them in the spring clips on the woofers the best approach to connecting the woofers?

If not what is the best way to connect the leads to the woofers?

Since I have chosen to mount the amplifier on the back of the cabinet (against sage advice) I notice that there is a close proximity between the magnet on the woofer and the torroidal transformer on the amplifier.
Will this be an issue?

If so what ameliorates this problem in traditional sealed cabinets?

I tin the leads of the wiring and slide them into the spring loaded clips on the woofers.

I don't know and can't say if or how much of a problem having the woofer magnet so close to the transformer will be. I try to avoid it.

Captainhemo

« Reply #48 on: 7 Apr 2017, 03:36 pm »
Our "woofer" likes to hang out in the shop as well, seems    like it's a  pretty common thing. She used to always sneak up  behind me and lie   just behind me feet.... not any more afte a few pileups she has learned   that's not a good spot to lie   :lol:

I had to look back too, sometimes we aren't really focused on the  additonal things in a picture and  totally miss them.  what kind of b"big woofer' is that  ?

jay

aceinc

« Reply #49 on: 7 Apr 2017, 03:53 pm »
It's a Gerbian Shepsky (German Shepherd/Siberian Husky mix).

aceinc

« Reply #50 on: 7 Apr 2017, 03:53 pm »
Well the good news I have built the amplifier boxes so they are detachable with 4 screws, so if it behaves badly I can detach them.

I should have these bad boys in my living room for testing before Monday. As I mentioned somewhere, initially I will stick a couple of KEF 101.2 bookshelf speakers on the top and tune the combination to play full range using speaker level in.

I haven't really looked at the one page documentation that came with the amps, but does it give a good definition of all the controls and how to use them?

My first step will be to use REW and a microphone to tune the woofer enclosures to the room, first one at a time, and then together to get the phase correct. Once that is complete I will connect the KEFs in parallel to the woofers and adjust the gain and crossover freq on the woofer to best match the KEFs.

The initial tuning will be done with line level in and actual "production" use will be speaker level in, will that cause any issues? If so, I could fire up and old Adcom GFA 555 II  amp I have laying about and do everything using speaker level in. It will eventually be driven by Emotiva XPA-1 Gen 1 amps.

aceinc

« Reply #51 on: 8 Apr 2017, 10:56 pm »
Help

In one cabinet I have the amp in and everything wired up properly as far as I can tell. I have the volume tuned to Min.

If I switch the amp from off to "Auto" nothing happens even with a signal. If I move the switch to "On" I get a VERY LOUD sound. If I had to guess about 30 Hz almost sounds like a square wave. I have tried it twice turning the amp off within a second.

Is it possible to achieve this by wiring something wrong? Could I have the sensor coil wired incorrectly?

I have the other box ready to go in my garage, wired the same way. I'm afraid to try it.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: OB W-frame buildi
« Reply #52 on: 8 Apr 2017, 11:13 pm »
I had something similar happen awhile back and it turned out I had the servo coils wired incorrectly.

The servo coils are wired in series. If both drivers are hacing forward the positive (red) wire from the servo board (thinner wires attached to the little board that is attached to the main moard) is connected to the positive terminal of one driver. The negative terminal of that driver is connected to the positive terminal of the second driver. The negative terminal of the second driver is connected to the negative (black) wire of the amp's servo board.

Mike

aceinc

« Reply #53 on: 8 Apr 2017, 11:34 pm »
The drivers are facing in different directions.

The wiring looks like;

Danny Richie

« Reply #54 on: 9 Apr 2017, 02:07 am »
The red wire from the sensing coil should go to the first woofers positive unless it is facing the other direction.

The same goes for the driver coils.

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #55 on: 9 Apr 2017, 02:53 am »
The drivers are facing in different directions.

The wiring looks like;

How about the driver coils?   The driver coils are in parallel. But the driver coil of the "reverse" woofer needs to be reversely connected. Please also show the driver coil side connection. 

aceinc

« Reply #56 on: 9 Apr 2017, 02:58 am »
I "believe" the "W"and "H" frames (with drivers firing in opposite directions) will wire the same.  Below is Danny's wiring for the "H" frame.

Best,
Ed

Danny, I was following this drawing, is it incorrect?

If you have a correct drawing for a W baffle with one speaker facing front and one facing back, can you point me to it, please.

Danny Richie

« Reply #57 on: 9 Apr 2017, 03:16 am »
Danny, I was following this drawing, is it incorrect?

If you have a correct drawing for a W baffle with one speaker facing front and one facing back, can you point me to it, please.

The drawing is correct.

aceinc

« Reply #58 on: 9 Apr 2017, 03:19 am »
Here is the full picture.

There appears to be a minor difference between as built vs diagram supplied by ebag4. To correct I believe I need to switch the "power leads" on both speakers. Correct?

Danny Richie

« Reply #59 on: 9 Apr 2017, 04:02 am »
On the top woofer you have common polarity on the driver coils (red to red and black to black).

But you have flipped the sensing coils. The sensing coil on the top woofer should also be red to red. 

And that's if the top woofer is facing forward.