Question: MW TP as DAC and Pre or 36.5 with Cullen DLIII DAC??

Big Red Machine

Now that I have my new Pass amp and the sound is glorious with my SB3 (dig mod) and Bel C DAC3 and Moon Audio Silver Dragon IC's I think the BC is the weak link.  So with Dave's excitement over the 36.5 and he and Ted both using the MW TP as well, I am confusal'd on the most economical direction to take.

Is the MW TP as DAC and pre gonna make it happen or should I jump to the 36.5, use my SB3, and keep my recent order (Saturday) for a Cullen modded dac open and make that the combo?  I can't justify 3500 for a TP and 5k on top of that for the 36.5.  I'd have 1600 in the Cullen unit and can get decent money for the BC DAC/pre.  Probably looking at a 2k delta.

So beyond the money issue, it wouild seem the 36.5 is magical.  But is it magical for Dave and Ted because they are mating it with the MW TP?  Would it be as magical with the PSA unit?  I need a DAC outboard of the SB regardless.  Would the stock TP and 36.5 be a better interim step?  Stock TP's can be had for 1.4kish.  I am not comfortable that the stock TP DAC is up to the task.

What say you folks?  Did I ask enough questions?  One more, you say.  Okay, when it comes to stewed prunes; when is one not enough and two too many? (Fletch)

And one more for extra credit:  why is when everyone is gone from a GTG does your system sound the best? :scratch:

IronLion

Out of curiosity, is the Cullen modded DAC a modded Digital Link III like 6moons reviewed or did Rick figure out a way to mod the output stage of your Bel Canto DAC 3? 

EDIT: Whoops, just saw that the answer is in the thread title.  Did you get the level III or level IV mod? 

Big Red Machine

I ordered the level 4 mod of the PSA unit after Rick sent back my Bel Canto w/o modding it because he was not finished designing the output circuit.  He said the rest of the BC was fine and was impressed with it.  I needed it back and he wasn't ready to do it so I jumped on the PSA unit mod because I liked the stock unit I did have so much I was sure the modded unit would be killer.  But with all this talk about TP's and 36.5's I am unsure what the heck to do.  This death spiral of chasing the rainbow is nerve racking. :bawl: :violin:

rydenfan

Now that I have my new Pass amp and the sound is glorious with my SB3 (dig mod) and Bel C DAC3 and Moon Audio Silver Dragon IC's I think the BC is the weak link.  So with Dave's excitement over the 36.5 and he and Ted both using the MW TP as well, I am confusal'd on the most economical direction to take.

Is the MW TP as DAC and pre gonna make it happen or should I jump to the 36.5, use my SB3, and keep my recent order (Saturday) for a Cullen modded dac open and make that the combo?  I can't justify 3500 for a TP and 5k on top of that for the 36.5.  I'd have 1600 in the Cullen unit and can get decent money for the BC DAC/pre.  Probably looking at a 2k delta.

So beyond the money issue, it wouild seem the 36.5 is magical.  But is it magical for Dave and Ted because they are mating it with the MW TP?  Would it be as magical with the PSA unit?  I need a DAC outboard of the SB regardless.  Would the stock TP and 36.5 be a better interim step?  Stock TP's can be had for 1.4kish.  I am not comfortable that the stock TP DAC is up to the task.

What say you folks?  Did I ask enough questions?  One more, you say.  Okay, when it comes to stewed prunes; when is one not enough and two too many? (Fletch)

And one more for extra credit:  why is when everyone is gone from a GTG does your system sound the best? :scratch:

Pete, there is no doubt that both the modified Transporter and the 36.5 are special pieces; however I feel the 36.5 would be the better fit for you. Last night I set up my Otari Pro DAT machine so I could run something besides my MW TP into the 36.5 and I am equally impressed. The difference to me is that the Transporter is amazing for what it is, while the 36.5 is in a realm of almost intangible gear. I have heard the ARC REF3, the CJ ACT 2, and some other very high end line stages, the 36.5 is easily on par or bests all of them. with the modifications to the TP Dan has extracted everything possible from it but much of the design is someone else's, the 36.5 is all him baby  :thumb:

I love that you and I are in the exact opposite but also the same situation. You added the Pass and now your pre is not up to the task; I added the 36.5 and now my amp is not up to the task  :duh:

Big Red Machine

I'm warming up to the idea of the 36.5.  What is the wait to get one?

rydenfan

I think that would be an amazing system!

My wait was less than 3 weeks.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Get the 36.5.  All everything sounds glorious through it.  I use my modded Red Wine SB3 (with Vinnie's own linear ac power supply, cuz I kept killing batteries) in via analog and it sounds very good.  I use it when I want to run something 24/7 so I don't waste tube life, then I end up listening to it sometimes just for fun.  And my Modwright Denon 3910 (for 2 channel SACD and DVD-A)...wow.   I also have a home theater, so the HT bypass is crucial too.

I've heard a stock DacIII and liked it.  The modded one, with an SB3 front end, will be very very nice into the 36.5.  Go for it.   :thumb:

Big Red Machine

Me bad.  Dan good.  36.5 on the way!!!  :tempted:                                    :hyper:

IronLion

Whoa, no lead time on that unit?  In any case, congrats!  I just ordered a MW Transporter in black but have 3 weeks to wait.   

yooper

Wow!  Congrats Pete!  I have been really been wanting to hear the 36.5.  Hey... I see a Dodd battery pre vs MW 36.5 shootout happening!!!!!!!   :duel:   I should have my Dodd in a couple more days   :drums:

That will be fun, and I'll bet the guys would love to hear about it.  aa

Stay tuned...............

EDIT- Uh Oh, I just realized I posted in the MW forum, and if you guys feel it was wrong of me to post the above jibber-jabber, I will gracefully withdraw the post.

Mark
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2008, 11:03 pm by yooper »

rydenfan

Me bad.  Dan good.  36.5 on the way!!!  :tempted:                                    :hyper:

Congrats Pete! I had a feeling that might happen  :icon_lol:

s_cervin

Wow!  Congrats Pete!  I have been really been wanting to hear the 36.5.  Hey... I see a Dodd battery pre vs MW 36.5 shootout happening!!!!!!!   :duel:   I should have my Dodd in a couple more days   :drums:

That will be fun, and I'll bet the guys would love to hear about it.  aa

Stay tuned...............

EDIT- Uh Oh, I just realized I posted in the MW forum, and if you guys feel it was wrong of me to post the above jibber-jabber, I will gracefully withdraw the post.

Mark

Please let me know when this happens!  I'll provide the drinks.

Scott