Woke up to popping and static in left speaker...

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

Woke up to popping and static in left speaker...
« on: 13 Mar 2021, 10:34 am »
Woke up 3am to popping and static from left speaker. I leave my amp on 24/7 so I disconnect the inputs. Amp feels a little warm but it’s also not been making sound for 5 hours.

I moved the amp to a different outlet and still the same. Damn.

Before I call is there anything else I can try?

GeneS

Re: Woke up to popping and static in left speaker...
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2021, 02:24 pm »
Bummer!
I can’t remember if you have monoblocks or a stereo amp.
If monos, swap them around and see if the problem follows one particular amp.
The only other thing I would know to do in this case is swapping out interconnect and speaker cables to see if any of those changes makes a difference. Sorry!!

geerock

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2021, 04:31 pm »
I take it you are unplugging cables with the amp on.  That is never a good idea.

MatthewT

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2021, 05:11 pm »
I leave my amp on 24/7 so I disconnect the inputs.

Where on Earth did you get the idea to disconnect the inputs? As in disonnect the interconnect?
ETA: Your OP gives the impression you do that on a regular basis.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2021, 05:19 pm »
I take it you are unplugging cables with the amp on.  That is never a good idea.

I was eliminating it coming from the signal chain. Took seconds. Did not touch speaker cables. Moved it to another room, plugged back in and still same. I’m very careful. It is high voltage after all.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2021, 05:26 pm »
Bummer!
I can’t remember if you have monoblocks or a stereo amp.
If monos, swap them around and see if the problem follows one particular amp.
The only other thing I would know to do in this case is swapping out interconnect and speaker cables to see if any of those changes makes a difference. Sorry!!

Just a simple stereo unit. I flick it on, after say 5 seconds I hear a click from the unit and about 5 - 10 seconds later it’s crunchy time I the left speaker. Damn. Ironically enough it was 3-2018 when I contacted Klaus about getting an amp built.

Ahh well. If I didn’t have this kind of luck then someone else would I guess. I’ll call in a few hours and send it to be fixed.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2021, 12:34 am »
Yeahhhh...don't worry about that...I'll take care of it.

The guys are correct...ALWAYS  turn off the amp before touching cables...as for the static,  can be one of several culprits,  but usually it's either a cap going bad or something caused the offset to go haywire.....best case scenario is just a quick adjustment...worst case it's either replacing a cap or two or switching out a pre-driver transistor.  Not a biggie...............

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2021, 12:42 am »
Yeahhhh...don't worry about that...I'll take care of it.

The guys are correct...ALWAYS  turn off the amp before touching cables...as for the static,  can be one of several culprits,  but usually it's either a cap going bad or something caused the offset to go haywire.....best case scenario is just a quick adjustment...worst case it's either replacing a cap or two or switching out a pre-driver transistor.  Not a biggie...............
Thank you Klaus. I literally just emailed you seconds ago.
 :D