Stratos Capacitance

clif1

Stratos Capacitance
« on: 6 Mar 2021, 06:46 pm »
Does anyone know the capacitance on the "original" year 2002 Stratos stereo amp was and what cap upgrade was being offered?

I am thinking of going to mono blocks or having this upgraded as I am getting thirsty Magnepan LRS's

Thanks

davidldl

Re: Stratos Capacitance
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2021, 11:01 am »
Info from the way back machine:  60,000 uF.

Stratos Stereo:
Reference 60,000 uF expansion to 120,000 uF total capacitance   
$125.00
Stratos Mono's:
2nd pair of loudspeaker outputs for bi-wiring or tri-wiring option   
$50.00

https://web.archive.org/web/20020806183251/http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20020809115037/http://www.odysseyaudio.com/options.html

David

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2021, 11:26 am »
Perfect !!!!   mach with  the LRS's..and I don't think that people understand as how much control our designs actually have...even the standard Khartago or Stratos will have the Maggies completely under control,  but yes,  upgraded power supplies will be even better,  of course....

standard K or St:  60 K...upgradeable to the Stratos Plus or the Khartago Extreme is standard  120 K.  Then there is the Stratos Extreme with a minimum of 180 K.

Now,  as for caps,  we have been very busy in expanding and developing our line: AND GUYS<  CAPS ARE SUPER IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the hierarchy of our capacitors:

standard 15,000 uF cap made in Taiwan.They have a plant in China as well,  but I'm paying double just so that it's from Taiwan and not subject to Chinese standards and quality control.

second up is our new mid-line cap.  15 K.  Made in Germany by the same company who manufactures our SL caps.   As the Symphonic Line designed ones are so super expensive,  I worked with Germany to have a cap made that was closer in cost to the standard cap,  but much, much,  much better in performance and closer to the SL caps.  They are wonderful,  best bang for the buck for sure.

SL 15 K cap...first of the Symphonic Line designs and used as the reference on-board cap...  Step up from the midlines

SL 16 K screw in cap...First of the SL reference caps.  Only use them for off-board applications,  and definitely a nice step up from the ones above.

And now we're getting into NUTS territory:

Huge ass 35 K beer cans,  Symphonic Line designed....In 2019  Germany ok'd for us to have the 35 K designs made under our name from the same German manufacturer.  Ridiculously good,  albeit also ridiculously expensive.  I mean,  35,000 uF  !!!!!!!  obviously I can only use them as offboards,  but they actually fit into the Khartago as well.....barely,  but they do.

2 levels:  regular one,  and then the Hyper cap:  low tolerances, highest grade materials and electrolytics, etc.....quite a bit bigger than even the regular 35 K cap,  and simply the single best one that I have ever tried.....even better than the (more expensive) Scandinavian Jensen's I've gotten a couple of years back.....Super, super sounding capacitor.

Anyway kids,  the next story will all be about our transformers in order to round up parts quality show and tell of the power supplies.

Until then,  your uncle Klaus.....

clif1

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2021, 11:42 am »
Thanks to both this was great information.

Klaus I tried to get on your website and send you an email but the email bounced back and could not get on the website .Perhaps it was  down or a setting got changed.

Is there another email address to reach you at or can I text?
Clif

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2021, 02:20 pm »
I hope this doesn’t come across as a hijack, and, I know you didn’t ask for opinions, but Klaus your response above should be a sticky in your circle based in the amount of questions that come up about caps. Personally I look forward to hearing Uncle Klaus’s talk on power supplies when you visit again....

Oystein

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2021, 07:18 pm »
@Klaus

I guess you probably know yourself contacting you can be a challenge  :o
I tried e-mail last year and to call you in the evening (USA) would mean I have to set my wake-up alarm in the middle of the night (EU) which I avoided so far.

I am planning a capacitor refresh (2009 Khratogo with 120k) but sending the amp to the USA for an update will be very expensive. I prefer to replace the caps myself and would be very interesting to know the prices of the mentioned caps above as parts to ship to the Netherlands so I can decide how much I want to spend.
Please respond to my e-mail which I sent last year ... search for my name and I am sure I will be the only one in your mailbox .. reply to that if you can.

Thank you in advance  :thumb:

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2021, 08:30 pm »
Don't see your particular email.....not sure.  Then again,  I'm getting a flood of them every day.

Please send again.........and include your tel. #

Oystein

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2021, 08:42 pm »
Sent e-mail again a minute ago ...

clif1

« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2021, 03:25 pm »
I am not sure my email got to you but I am also thinking of having my "older" Stratos Stereo Extreme redone as well.
 will resend to odav@odysseyaudio.com now.  If there is another address to send to let me know.

Thanks
Clif

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2021, 08:38 am »
I hope this doesn’t come across as a hijack, and, I know you didn’t ask for opinions, but Klaus your response above should be a sticky in your circle based in the amount of questions that come up about caps. Personally I look forward to hearing Uncle Klaus’s talk on power supplies when you visit again....
+1.
Very interesting topic I will follow it. Will look forward the new transformers upgrades.

/mp

« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2021, 01:48 pm »
Perfect !!!!   mach with  the LRS's..and I don't think that people understand as how much control our designs actually have...even the standard Khartago or Stratos will have the Maggies completely under control,  but yes,  upgraded power supplies will be even better,  of course....

standard K or St:  60 K...upgradeable to the Stratos Plus or the Khartago Extreme is standard  120 K.  Then there is the Stratos Extreme with a minimum of 180 K.

Now,  as for caps,  we have been very busy in expanding and developing our line: AND GUYS<  CAPS ARE SUPER IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the hierarchy of our capacitors:

standard 15,000 uF cap made in Taiwan.They have a plant in China as well,  but I'm paying double just so that it's from Taiwan and not subject to Chinese standards and quality control.

second up is our new mid-line cap.  15 K.  Made in Germany by the same company who manufactures our SL caps.   As the Symphonic Line designed ones are so super expensive,  I worked with Germany to have a cap made that was closer in cost to the standard cap,  but much, much,  much better in performance and closer to the SL caps.  They are wonderful,  best bang for the buck for sure.

SL 15 K cap...first of the Symphonic Line designs and used as the reference on-board cap...  Step up from the midlines

SL 16 K screw in cap...First of the SL reference caps.  Only use them for off-board applications,  and definitely a nice step up from the ones above.

And now we're getting into NUTS territory:

Huge ass 35 K beer cans,  Symphonic Line designed....In 2019  Germany ok'd for us to have the 35 K designs made under our name from the same German manufacturer.  Ridiculously good,  albeit also ridiculously expensive.  I mean,  35,000 uF  !!!!!!!  obviously I can only use them as offboards,  but they actually fit into the Khartago as well.....barely,  but they do.

2 levels:  regular one,  and then the Hyper cap:  low tolerances, highest grade materials and electrolytics, etc.....quite a bit bigger than even the regular 35 K cap,  and simply the single best one that I have ever tried.....even better than the (more expensive) Scandinavian Jensen's I've gotten a couple of years back.....Super, super sounding capacitor.

Anyway kids,  the next story will all be about our transformers in order to round up parts quality show and tell of the power supplies.

Until then,  your uncle Klaus.....

Useful info for new web site.

geerock

« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2021, 11:35 pm »
I actually had Klaus build my Kismet in Stratos monos because I was having a problem finding something that I liked that would tame my Maggie 1.7i's.  Those Maggie's can chew up and spit out lesser amps.  The amps he built for me had the current and capacitance that is needed to control Maggie's and other difficult load speakers.  I'm sending the monos back to Klaus for the high end Hyper caps and the big mama trannies.  I just hate shipping those things cause you never know what's gonna happen.