Dual 12" OB H-Frame Construction

sortner

Re: Dual 12" OB H-Frame Construction
« Reply #80 on: 28 Aug 2014, 02:41 pm »
Jay,

beautiful looking system..................Any chance we can get a listen on you tube like Ron did, love to hear them sing..

nickd

« Reply #81 on: 28 Aug 2014, 02:50 pm »
Nice Work Jay,

I have had the pieces cut for a pair of OB subs for a couple of years now. I think you just inspired me to build them up and order the amps and woofers.

I have boxes already built and the aluminum woofers on hand for a pair of Rythmik sealed servo subs too. But after having the Super V's in my room for a year, the OB bass still has my heart.

I'm also a little jealous of your diffusors. :green: Not sure what they are made of but I like the shape!

Captainhemo

« Reply #82 on: 28 Aug 2014, 05:40 pm »
Jay,

beautiful looking system..................Any chance we can get a listen on you tube like Ron did, love to hear them sing..

Strange as it may seem these days, I actually don't have a camera that records decent sound.... I've been  trying  to get a decent sounding video using all the different  devices we have here  for a while now but  not having much luck.  My neice actually  just got one of those  mini, and I mean mini,   video cameas but the sound is awful.  Ron told me he used an HD camcorder ,  I'll have to try and borrow one.

nickd,
I'm already hooked on the OB subs too,  I'm so happy with the results :)
The diffusers were an experiment..... hoping to  replace them one of these days with some of Dave's (PI Audio) diffusers. 
The poly's were easy to make (after exploding the first attempt made with 3/16 ply)  I  ended up making the fronts out of  fiberboard ( I believ you guys down in the US call it masonite?)  with a  2/4" plywood back.      They are bent in 1/3 of a circle, have a 7" segment height,  and the interiors are stuffed with  rockwool.
Used a circle  calculator to determine all the measurements
http://www.1728.org/circsect.htm

Using  a couple of rachet style tie downs and  a few well placed blocks,  the panels weren't difficult to bend and then fasten to the bevel cut plywood  just using screws

Guy, 
I will hae to  have a listen to that   !!

-jay

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #83 on: 29 Aug 2014, 10:37 pm »
... not that I am planning on movng theiis much, it is  friggin' heavy.

I'm really curious about what the final weight is for it.  My single sealed servo sub came out to be around 54 pounds if I remember correctly. 

Your's looks heavier.  It looks killer too!  :thumb: 

Now I really want one!  :drool: :bounce: :notworthy:

Captainhemo

« Reply #84 on: 30 Aug 2014, 12:31 am »
Hey corndog71,  thanks  man  :)

The boxes of parts Danny sent were listed at 65 lbs according to UPS,, not sure what  all lthe packing itself would have weighed but I wouldn't think ovelry much.   I used  about 3/4 sheet of   3/4" MDF

I've never heard one of the  sealed servo subs so unfortunately, I can't make any ccomparsions for you

-jay

Guy 13

« Reply #85 on: 30 Aug 2014, 03:05 am »
Hi Jay.
My V1 are about 90+ pounds each,
that because all the walls are double thickness and the top part and bottom part are separated
and the Rythmik plate amplifier is built in.
That's the reason why they are still on rollers, I protect my spine.

Guy 13

Captainhemo

« Reply #86 on: 30 Aug 2014, 04:34 am »
Hi Jay.
My V1 are about 90+ pounds each,
that because all the walls are double thickness and the top part and bottom part are separated
and the Rythmik plate amplifier is built in.
That's the reason why they are still on rollers, I protect my spine.

Guy 13

You must have ued that lightweight MDF   :lol:

-jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #87 on: 30 Aug 2014, 06:53 am »

ThePriest

• 101010 = 2A
« Reply #88 on: 21 Nov 2014, 10:05 pm »
Hi Jay.
Just want to say thanks for the nice thread and pics.
I have my own set of GR woofers being delivered across the Atlantic, can't wait to have them finished.
I am in the process of making the frames, and have been using your build as inspiration, as I quite liked the slots in the sides for the baffle.
My own two frames have been glued, and will now need some sanding and filling, before I start priming them.

Cheers

Mikkel

Captainhemo

« Reply #89 on: 22 Nov 2014, 12:52 am »
hey Priest
Glad you are finding the thread helpful :)
Using the dado's in the side panels makes assembly a lot easier, not to mention probably adds some streangth. I even thought about adding an extra 1/2" to the top and bottom of the baffle and  cutting a dado in  the top and bottom panels as well but in the end , didn't  go that far.
When you're all done, post  some pics for us   You are going to love  these, still find  it amazing !!

BTW, I've got the 2nd  frame done and recently placed the order for the  parts so soon both will be up and running  :hyper:

-jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #90 on: 10 Dec 2014, 12:47 am »
Hey folks
Here is a  brief update.   I finally placed the parts order with Danny for my 2nd H-frame.  Received  them all last week and this past weekend  I got it all assmebled, so..... it is up and running  8)

Right  away, there were  a couple things very apparent 1.  significantly more  "wieght" behind the bass , 2. An increase in both the  depth and width of my sound stage, this I was not expecting at all.  I shot Danny a  mail about this and he said  he has had similar experiences, he suggested playing around with the dampening  settings  as they can have an effect on the size of he stage  (I'm trying the low setting out   now Danny).

I know  bass is supposed to be omni directional but adding the 2nd H-frame definitly seems  to be creating more movement in the reproduction,  you really notice a drummer going   from one side to the other now.  This was present before but not to the same deree.

I listened quite late on Saturday night and didn't seem to notice much difference comapred  to the single H-frame at low volumes but,  listening late  again last night ( the subs now has  some time on it)   I'd have to say there is  even  more behind the bass at low levels.    Guess the bass just seems more  dynamic with more  ooomph

As I mentioned to Danny,  I'm finding the pair very impressive !!

Here's a couple of piccs, one without grills, one without

-jay

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #91 on: 10 Dec 2014, 01:00 am »
Jay, I remember when you started on this journey.... at least here at the GR Research Circle. Man have you come a long way, look at that nice set up, the speakers and subs look great together and I bet it sounds wonderful now. :thumb:

corndog71

« Reply #92 on: 10 Dec 2014, 01:36 am »
Awesome report!  This is what I'm looking forward to! :bounce: :rock:

Just have to wait to see what my bonus will be before I pull the trigger on the drivers, No Rez, and an amp.

They look great too.  :thumb:

Early B.

« Reply #93 on: 10 Dec 2014, 03:02 am »
I really like the grilles on the subs. I'm sure they sound great!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #94 on: 10 Dec 2014, 03:06 am »
Jay,

That's one heck of a setup :thumb:. I'm jealous (but I'll get there eventually :eyebrows:).

Mike

Guy 13

« Reply #95 on: 10 Dec 2014, 03:22 am »
Jay,
nice looking and sounding (I'm sure) set up.

Guy 13

Captainhemo

« Reply #96 on: 10 Dec 2014, 04:01 am »
Thanks fellas,  I appreciate all the comments.

Corndog,  you're going to love your subs,  they are   wonderful, and with the 8 ohm woofers, you'll be able to get a bit more output. 

Greg,   I  was sitting here listening  to  some tunes tunes on Sunday night  and  was remembering  the exact same thing.   Back when I was trying to decide between the AV and N3 series.  I had built  my first sub that summer and figured I could do a speaker upgrade , I had a  set of Fluance HT  speakers.  I did a google search and  found Danny (GR Research)  and  from there  found  AC . 
 Been lots of  fun not only learning, building and listening, but also getting to know many of you guys :beer:

To the next step  !!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #97 on: 10 Dec 2014, 04:09 am »
To the next step  !!

Which is? Enquiring minds want to know ...

Captainhemo

« Reply #98 on: 10 Dec 2014, 05:46 am »
Which is? Enquiring minds want to know ...

Sit back,  pop a cold one,, maybe  two,  and enjoy the music !
After that,  who knows  :scratch:

-jay

corndog71

« Reply #99 on: 10 Dec 2014, 05:47 am »
I just noticed the amp stands.  Great idea!  Gives me some ideas.   :idea: