iPad: the new 24/192 transport? for FLAC?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
iPad: the new 24/192 transport? for FLAC?
« on: 27 Apr 2011, 06:33 pm »
I just thought I would post what I first reported on over on Computer Audiophile.

I was successful in getting true 24/192 FLAC music from my iPad, via USB (camera kit) to an Antelope Zodiac Plus DAC.  I used the new FLAC player app which uses Class 2 audio USB to send up to 24/192 out of the iPad to a Class 2-capable DAC. 
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flac-player/id390532592?mt=8

The sound is great, the sonics are somewhat comparable to my tweaked Macbook music server, and the setup was very simple.  The app uses iTunes file sharing capability to drag FLAC files (not folders) into its directory area.  The player then catalogs according to metadata in the FLAC files, including album artwork.

This is not exactly a terribly practical home application, as the iPad needs to be tethered to the DAC via USB, but in the case of capable portable hirez USB DACs you now have a VERY hirez way of getting FLAC music to your headphones or portable speakers.   :thumb:

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Re: iPad: the new 24/192 transport? for FLAC?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2011, 08:20 pm »
Does this involve playing files stored on the iPad or streaming the files from a network?  That's cool that you got it to work, but even with 64GB, that's not a lot of storage space for hi-rez files that take up 1 to 2 GB per album.

Would this solution work for my 32GB latest gen iPod touch?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2011, 08:25 pm »
The player plays locally stored files, not streaming.  I included the link to the site, which has an FAQ.  I assume the Touch works, check the site and the FAQ's.

adhesiv

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2011, 09:17 pm »
I'm definitely gonna download this app but was curious if the iPod app using Home Sharing outputs a bit perfect stream and do either of these options automatically change bitrate/frequency?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2011, 10:26 pm »
FLAc player automatically switches sample rate on the Antelope DAC, yes.

JDUBS

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2011, 12:40 am »
This is very intriguing especially (for me) the use of this program and an iPhone 4 with a portable USB DAC.  I wonder if the Emmeline Predator is Class 2 and 24/96?  I'm surprised there isn't more excitement on Headfi about this.

Up to this point, if you wanted a PORTABLE digital transport for flac files, you were really restricted to the iRiver H-120/140 with its mini toslink output and Rockbox. 

-Jim

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2011, 01:19 pm »
Up to this point, if you wanted a PORTABLE digital transport for flac files, you were really restricted to the iRiver H-120/140 with its mini toslink output and Rockbox. 

-Jim

I am currently using a Cowan J3 player and just copied my flac files over to the J3.  The J3 supports MP3, WMA, OGG, FLAC, WAV and APE audio formats; AVI, WMV, and ASF video formats (DivX/Xvid/WMV codecs); JPEG image format; TXT text files.  The J3 has a built in 32 GB capacity for about 4000 songs, 20,000 photos, or 20 hours of video.  Of course flac files drastically cut down on the amount of songs you can load on to the built in drive but the J3 also has a standard microSD card slot for expansion. :thumb: 

I need to look into if I could use a portable USB DAC with the J3 for 24/96 files? 

Sorry Ted, I know this thread is about a 24/192 transport...

Thanks,

Randy

doctorcilantro

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2011, 04:37 pm »
This is very intriguing especially (for me) the use of this program and an iPhone 4 with a portable USB DAC.  I wonder if the Emmeline Predator is Class 2 and 24/96?  I'm surprised there isn't more excitement on Headfi about this.

-Jim

I think Colorfly has a model that does 192kHz and can handle .flac

jwes

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jun 2011, 09:30 pm »
Any point of view on good portable USB Dacs?  I was looking at the streamers, but they need ac power.  I'm thinking airplane here.  Would love a way to listen high quality to the iPad while traveling.  Sounds like the software is there, but is there any Dac/amp solution that's small enough and bus powered?

Jim

low.pfile

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2011, 12:33 am »
Any point of view on good portable USB Dacs?  I was looking at the streamers, but they need ac power.  I'm thinking airplane here. Would love a way to listen high quality to the iPad while traveling.  Sounds like the software is there, but is there any Dac/amp solution that's small enough and bus powered?

Jim

Jim, I would like to know what you are using for headphones that give you enough isolation to appreciate the higher quality sound.

jwes

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2011, 12:45 am »
Jim, I would like to know what you are using for headphones that give you enough isolation to appreciate the higher quality sound.

Do you have any ideas on what I asked or are you just ridiculing me? I travel every week for most of the week, which includes airplanes and hotels.  My question remains.

low.pfile

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jun 2011, 04:51 am »
No I'm not ridiculing at all, just wondering what headphones isolate enough on a plane to be able to fully appreciate high resolution music. Whether the In-Ear type of noise cancelling. I just picked up the latter (mid range) and it wasn't that much better than my Ultimated Ears and Shures earbuds. I do not fly frequently. Again you just made me wonder if there was some great solution that doesn't cost $600.

And yes, I should've put an "OT:" preceding my question, as I do not have a answer for your question. Apologies sir, for any misunderstanding.

jwes

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2011, 05:53 am »
I can't remember the exact alphanumeric code but they are by Klipsch - x10i or something like that designed to work with apple mobile products.  They have a control for volume and skipping tracks.  Excellent sound and great bud design to cancel noise.  Really spectacular on a plane.  Klipsch - go figure...

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 4 Jun 2011, 02:30 pm »
My Etymotic 4RS's isolate the heck out of airplane travel.  I can't ehar anything other than background engine noise...but can clealry discern great recordings and great resolution.

Jim, I will do some digging as to good USB portable DACs.  My Meier Corda Move amp is wonderful but I don't use it's USB capability in the air, just as a headphone amp for travel.

jwes

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jun 2011, 02:44 pm »
My Etymotic 4RS's isolate the heck out of airplane travel.  I can't ehar anything other than background engine noise...but can clealry discern great recordings and great resolution.

Jim, I will do some digging as to good USB portable DACs.  My Meier Corda Move amp is wonderful but I don't use it's USB capability in the air, just as a headphone amp for travel.

Thanks Ted.  There was something on 6moons recently that looked like a 3 piece brick - an iPod, a similarly sized Dac and a similarly sized headphone amp.  Looked like 3 big iPods strapped together.  That might be the closest we have now.

However, the mini jack of the ear buds is critical for a plane as the in-ear buds which use those are what cancel the noise.

Please let me know if you find anything!

Jim

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 4 Jun 2011, 02:53 pm »
Yeah, Cypher labs is developing an all-in-one DAC/amp so you won't have to build such a huge portable equipment sandwich.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/aloaudio2/6.html

mbakes

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jun 2011, 03:35 pm »
Any point of view on good portable USB Dacs?  I was looking at the streamers, but they need ac power.  I'm thinking airplane here.  Would love a way to listen high quality to the iPad while traveling.  Sounds like the software is there, but is there any Dac/amp solution that's small enough and bus powered?

Jim

Headamp Pico DAC/Amp.