I need a new hardware to record and play HiRez audio from computer USB

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
My old Macs are too old to support programs such as Songbird.  I still have to depend upon Macs that support OS9 because of the zillions of Pagemaker and Freehand and even Hypercard business files I still use.  That means Mac OS10.4 is as far as I can go with my present hardware.

The handwriting is on the wall regarding my needs above.  I am thinking my best solution is to get a new Mac notebook computer with as big an internal hard drive as it will take and download Songbird to allow output of high resolution music files from one of the new computer's USB ports.  I assume I can add a big external drive if I want later to archive my 3000 CDs for playback.

I would appreciate any suggestions regarding my thoughts about this.

Thanks,

Frank Van Alstine

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
If you need the portability of a laptop, the approach you outlined would make sense. If mobile computing isn't a real need, you should consider a Mac Mini. They make great music servers. I have a 2009 model I run headless with a 60 GB SSD internal and 8 GB of RAM for apps. Music is stored externally over firewire. Minis are also a lot cheaper than Apple laptops.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Frank, hi.  it was nice finally meeting you at RMAF and I was geeked that you were using my HDMI de-embedder strategy.  :)

I agree that if portability is not an issue go with a Mac Mini.  But a Macbook works great, it's what I have for now (Gordon sold me his with SSD internal drive).  Also, I'd do Pure Music instead of songbird, for better sonics, and a nice capability to do hog mode (exclusive DAC control) and iTunes GUI integration.

firedog

If you don't need the portability, the feedback seems to be that the best sound is a mini with 8gb or RAM, and using a program like Pure Music which has a memory player option.

HumanMedia

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Anyone tried Fidelia? Any good?

http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/fidelia/

Yeah, I'm in the beta test group.  It's good too (and now on sale for $20 basic, $50 for addtl hog mode, etc) but I still like PM better, more focused, better soundstage stability.

Nels Ferre

Frank,

Either a Mini or a MacBook will do what you need. Either way, when you are ready to buy, check the refurbished section of the Apple Store. Same appearance and warranty as new, and a great way to save a few bucks. I've purchased all of my Mac stuff (except the iPhone3G) and have had zero issues.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Well, I am making some kind of progress here, maybe.

I downloaded an older version of Songbird (V0.70) which will run on my Mac OS10.4 power PC computer.

My Audio Midi Setup application recognized Songbird and the miniSteeamer board and allowed me to set up the Mac to output 96K 24B 2 channel music files (FLAC) format to the USB output on my Mac, connected on to the miniStreamer USB input device.

Songbird actually played the 96K/24bit FLAC files!

However the volume out of the audio system was significantly too low (preamp vol control all the way up to get moderate listening levels) although the fidelity was just fine. This is not an issue playing 44K/16 bit files through the ministreamer with iTunes.

I did have as many output controls I could find cranked up to 100 percent.

What am I overlooking?  Is the output really 96K 24 bit (as the download source claimed) or is it being downsampled to 44K/16 bit somewhere in the process?

Again, any advice much appreciated.

Frank Van Alstine