BLEEP the website, hi rez source...

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: BLEEP the website, hi rez source...
« Reply #20 on: 31 Dec 2010, 04:44 am »
Ted, my point is that if you give me a ripped redbook 16/44.1 file, and I upsample it to 24/96 (with no real gain in file quality or resolution), the reprocessed file will show 24/96 in the file properties, foobar and any other player's file info.

Jamesg11, I will have to do a little research, but I believe mgalusha here on Audio Circle posted some frequency screenshots comparing files that were from 24/96 masters and files from upsampled 16/44.1 files.

Steve

But you DIDN'T upsample it!  Just check the sample rate.  But to answer the larger issue that has cropped up...that is, whether this album is fake hirez (upsampled redbook) that can not easily be determined since even Audacity can show errors.  But in theory if the spectrogram is showing a brickwall at 22k, then yes it's likely a redbook source.  I can do that once I have a copy.  Does someone want to dropbox me a song?  If so, PM me with your email and I'll invite you to my dropbox.

srb

« Reply #21 on: 31 Dec 2010, 04:45 am »
A secondary issue is whether the files are upsampled from original redbook or are true hirez.....is there a direct reason why we are asking this?  Do they sound less than what folks were expecting, and therefore suspect a faux hirez upsampled example?

If it's the album I think was downloaded, there was no reference to the sampling rate, only the bit depth, so I was curious (and perhaps a little skeptical) about what was actually being sold.

Steve

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #22 on: 31 Dec 2010, 04:51 am »

If it's the album I think was downloaded, there was no reference to the sampling rate, only the bit depth, so I was curious (and perhaps a little skeptical) about what was actually being sold.

Steve

But the sample rate (even though there was no reference) will show up in any music player, like foobar (as my screengrab shows).  What am I missing here??  Just look at the sample rate...that will tell you what you bought, period (which is a question being asked over 4-5 times on this thread). It will, of course, NOT tell you what the original master tape or sourced file was....that's a whole different question which can be evaluated, to some extent, with Audacity, but is not foolproof.  Brian Eno has done plenty of hirez before, but I've heard nothing to that extent on his latest project, Small Craft On A Milk Sea.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #23 on: 31 Dec 2010, 04:58 am »
The files sound good to me, we were just curious about how high the high res was and if we could somehow figure it out from looking at something that would be displayed along with the file properties. Curiosity on my part.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 31 Dec 2010, 05:28 am »
The files sound good to me, we were just curious about how high the high res was and if we could somehow figure it out from looking at something that would be displayed along with the file properties. Curiosity on my part.

The answer is yes, the file properties show the native sample rate.  No figuring out needed.

srb

« Reply #25 on: 31 Dec 2010, 05:30 am »

Although iTunes doesn't have a column for sample rate and bit depth, the Bit Rate column can be used to indicate it.  For uncompressed WAV or AIFF files

1411 kbps = 16/44.1
1536 kbps = 16/48
2116 kbps = 24/44.1
2304 kbps = 24/48
4232 kbps = 24/88.2
4608 kbps = 24/96
8464 kbps = 24/176.4
9216 kbps = 24/192

Steve
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2010, 07:19 am by srb »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #26 on: 31 Dec 2010, 05:35 am »
Dumb Question... Can music files purchased online be burned to a CD and be played back on a CDP?

srb

« Reply #27 on: 31 Dec 2010, 05:38 am »
Dumb Question... Can music files purchased online be burned to a CD and be played back on a CDP?

Yes, if they are 16-bit/44.1KHz files (or down-converted) which is the limit of a CD Player.

Steve

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 31 Dec 2010, 05:42 am »

Although iTunes doesn't have columns for sample rate and bit depth, the Bit Rate column can be used to indicate it.  For uncompressed WAV or AIFF files

1411 kbps = 16/44.1
1536 kbps = 16/48
2116 kbps = 24/44.1
2304 kbps = 24/48
4232 kbps = 24/88.2
4608 kbps = 24/96

Steve

(This the weirdest thread I've ever been a part of)  Steve, why would you say iTunes doesn't have a "sample rate" column...it does, always has!  No need to do any math.  This whole thread has been about finding the sample rate of a bought or downloaded file; it is very easy, it is present in all metadata, or in iTunes, or in foobar or anywhere you play the file.  I only sound frustrated cuz I've been saying this since my first post but no one believes me.  :(

srb

« Reply #29 on: 31 Dec 2010, 05:55 am »
Steve, why would you say iTunes doesn't have a "sample rate" column...it does, always has!

Sorry, there is a Sample Rate column, but not a Bit Depth column.

Steve

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 31 Dec 2010, 05:56 am »
By the way, I just downloaded a song from Brian Eno.  It's a 24/44.1k file.  Sounds very good, too...Audacity won't show much cuz frequency response in a spectrogram isn't much higher than redbook, just 24 bit.

srb

« Reply #31 on: 31 Dec 2010, 06:05 am »
By the way, I just downloaded a song from Brian Eno.  It's a 24/44.1k file.  Sounds very good, too...Audacity won't show much cuz frequency response in a spectrogram isn't much higher than redbook, just 24 bit.

Ted, sorry to frustrate you!  I know you must have a pretty good assortment of high res files (I don't have very many yet).  Have you personally found that the biggest improvement is increasing the bit depth from 16-bit to 24-bit, and that the increase in sampling rate from 44.1KHz to 96KHz makes much less of a difference?

Steve

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 31 Dec 2010, 06:20 am »

Ted, sorry to frustrate you!  I know you must have a pretty good assortment of high res files (I don't have very many yet).  Have you personally found that the biggest improvement is increasing the bit depth from 16-bit to 24-bit, and that the increase in sampling rate from 44.1KHz to 96KHz makes much less of a difference?

Steve

Yes, Steve, I've found that the bump to 24 bit is a big one.  The next biggest jump is to 192k from anything 96k or below.  YMMV. 
BTW, I guess I'm just tired...my bad.  I'm going to bed, now.   :)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #33 on: 31 Dec 2010, 06:49 am »

Yes, if they are 16-bit/44.1KHz files (or down-converted) which is the limit of a CD Player.

Thanks Steve,

Not sure about my CDP which serves has a transport - but my DAC (Beresford) says it can do 24-Bit/96-kHz - so I'll try a high res file and compare it to a 16-bit/44.1KHz file. 

kyrill

« Reply #34 on: 17 Jan 2011, 10:22 pm »
Since my modded hiFAce MK2 i have bought ( mostly HD tracks) 96 Khz aand 88.2 Khz files and most ( yet) to my bitter  disappointment.
I anticipated more 3D, more air, more transparency..
MORE  important during the AD conversion is the clock "quality" of the AD converter completely unrelated to to bit depth or sample freq.

I dare to say that a very low jitter clock conversion to red book CD specs sounds superior than  96 or 192 khz recorded with standard  "inferior" clocks with mediocre pws.
I will list this week the files i find inferior to my best 44.1 16 bit CD's. Luckily i did find some 96 khz files which were marginally better and one which was superior

It is a dream to believe the majority of recording studios will really focus to strive for lowest jitter even during recording 384 khz*

This is my experience with some HD material selling websites incl (HD tracks, http://www.2l.no)  though I have NO exp. yet with BLEEP
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2011, 07:36 pm by kyrill »