M2Tech HiFace 24/192 USB->S/PDIF penstyle interface

coops

Re: M2Tech HiFace 24/192 USB->S/PDIF penstyle interface
« Reply #20 on: 29 Nov 2009, 02:42 pm »
I have ordered a BNC version I will let you know, Keith.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 30 Nov 2009, 03:32 am »
Ok, have the HiFace drivers and Foobar 2000 latest stable version installed on my ASUS Netbook.  Added the Kernel Streaming driver as recommended for the higher bit rate files.

I have been able to playback all the sample rates and bit rates up to 24bit/96KHz without any issues.

Have it connected to a DAC that I know works with the Oppo DV981HD as a transport playing 24bit/176.4KHz DVD-A files.  Cannot playback these files with the HiFace.  Get intermittent clicking noises like it will not lock onto the sample rate.  Even set the playback buffer to 2000mS the maximum recommended and no changes.

Cannot see any other info on what to do to get the 24bit/176.4KHz or 24bit/192KHz files to playback with Foobar.  Still doing some research.

srb

« Reply #22 on: 30 Nov 2009, 03:47 am »
Is the kernel streaming driver ASIO, ASIO4ALL or WASAPI (or something else), and have you selected this driver in the Foobar File > Preferences > Playback > Output?

Steve

mgalusha

« Reply #23 on: 30 Nov 2009, 04:14 am »
Odd as that sounds exactly like what I'm doing. I am not using the 1.0 beta of foobar, it's whatever the latest 0.9x version is plus the KS driver. I have the buffer in mine set very low actually, I think 100ms, come to think of it I think it set itself there when I chose the KS from the output, I don't remember changing it. At work using the WASAPI output I did have to lower the buffer but I don't think I changed it for this one. Might have tho.

I have tried three different DAC's and all had no problem with any bit rate including the HRx and Kent Poon 24/192 samples. Be sure the HiFace is not the default sound driver for windows as it will try and grab it for system sounds. Supposedly the 1.02 driver supports windows direct sound so it's possible that the system is trying to use it.

I can screen shot my settings and post them if you like.

Ok, have the HiFace drivers and Foobar 2000 latest stable version installed on my ASUS Netbook.  Added the Kernel Streaming driver as recommended for the higher bit rate files.

I have been able to playback all the sample rates and bit rates up to 24bit/96KHz without any issues.

Have it connected to a DAC that I know works with the Oppo DV981HD as a transport playing 24bit/176.4KHz DVD-A files.  Cannot playback these files with the HiFace.  Get intermittent clicking noises like it will not lock onto the sample rate.  Even set the playback buffer to 2000mS the maximum recommended and no changes.

Cannot see any other info on what to do to get the 24bit/176.4KHz or 24bit/192KHz files to playback with Foobar.  Still doing some research.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 30 Nov 2009, 12:07 pm »
Mike,
A screenshot would be great.

I have the Foobar KS driver and HiFace 1.02 drivers loaded.  Have selected the KS driver under the options area in Foobar.

Windows is only using the motherboard soundcard. 

mgalusha

« Reply #25 on: 1 Dec 2009, 02:24 am »
Hal,

I had a thought this afternoon, it might be that your DAC won't support the higher rates and that the Oppo is down sampling the output to 24/96. Dunno if this is the case but it would explain the behavior. What DAC are you using?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 1 Dec 2009, 02:36 am »
Mike,
I setup the Oppo DV981HD to output 24bit/192KHz PCM.  So it should not be downsampling.

Tried the other suggestions with Foobar 2000 and still no output above 24bit/96KHz.

Started up MediaMonkey and it is playing back the Reference Recording HRx wav files just fine with the HiFace.  No easy way to tell if it is downsampling, but sounds better than the HiRez playback from the Oppo DAC.

Think it is working!  WOOHOO!

mgalusha

« Reply #27 on: 1 Dec 2009, 02:38 am »
Glad it's working, that is the important part.

Here is my foobar config, no doubt it looks just like yours. :)

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #28 on: 1 Dec 2009, 02:41 am »
Mike,
Yes,  Mine looks exactly like that.  Oh well.

Man these HRx recordings sound good!   :D

mgalusha

« Reply #29 on: 1 Dec 2009, 03:53 am »
Oh yeah, the HRx recordings are amazing.  :thumb:

TomS

« Reply #30 on: 3 Dec 2009, 08:49 pm »
Mike,

TweekGeek's out of BNC versions and I also just realized my Bolder Cables digital cable is actually directional (RCA --> BNC) so maybe I'll just go with RCA version anyway. 

Do you think it would be a big deal to swap it to a proper 75r BNC if I decided to do it later?

I'm also wondering about various nettops, a totally new world to me.  Ideal would be a cheap nettop w/Linux, foobar(?) sitting on the rack and remote session from a laptop browser or iTouch/iPhone.  No linux drivers yet, so maybe Mac mini would have to do as Mac iTunes with Amarra support is officially released now for the HiFace.  So many choices...

Tom

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #31 on: 3 Dec 2009, 10:40 pm »
Got mine today, thanks Mike G. Plays 176/192 right from the start using Foobar--confirmed with my TacT. Sounds very good--clean and clear. A little lightweight as far as midrange body and bass (extended, just not full), but its right out of the box and should improve as it breaks-in. A best buy for anyone interestd in trying hi-res playback from their computer.  :thumb:
Chris H.

coops

« Reply #32 on: 3 Dec 2009, 11:17 pm »
I don't believe mac drivers are quite ready, we tried the 'beta' version yesterday with Amarra and there was just one little niggle to report, soon though I am sure,
Keith.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #33 on: 4 Dec 2009, 02:40 am »
I think I have found the issue.

If I boot the ASUS Netbook PC with the HiFace installed I have the problem of not being able to playback the 24bit/176.4KHz files. If I boot the PC first then install the HiFace it works correctly.  This is probably why I had problems with Foobar 2000 as I would normally have the HiFace installed at boot.

Probably something about the USB driver and this PC.

Oh well, easy enough to deal with.

Sounds great so far! :)

mgalusha

« Reply #34 on: 4 Dec 2009, 03:48 am »
Do you think it would be a big deal to swap it to a proper 75r BNC if I decided to do it later?

If you could find the same BNC they are using to fit the board it wouldn't be too bad - except that it's very likely the housing will be damaged opening it up. I bought a few of them with plans to hack one and pull the I2S off to feed my Sabre32 dac with. I had to butcher the housing to get into it. It's either glued very well or ultrasonically welded and I couldn't get it apart without killing it. On the bright side adding the wires to pull the I2S was pretty easy thanks to some very good photos and text on diyaudio.com. Of course that assumes one is comfortable with soldering 30 ga wire to surface mount chips. :-)

Mike

mgalusha

« Reply #35 on: 4 Dec 2009, 03:49 am »
Hal,

Good to hear you have it sorted out.

BPT

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 6 Dec 2009, 03:20 pm »
Could the M2Tech be connected to a wireless USB hub? That way you could do everything from a netbook sitting on your lap with no "strings attached", similar to an Squeezebox :)

BPT

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 7 Dec 2009, 10:13 pm »
Another neat trick for the M2Tech. Here is a USB A/A extension cable http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-EXT-2X.html so you can move the M2Tech off of your computer (it is a little heavy and long to be sticking out and if you just barely nudge it chances are you will lose lock). The neat thing about this cable is it can power your unit from the computer like a regular USB connection or it has an input for an option 5VDC supply. Now you can power your M2Tech from a really good supply (battery anyone) without tearing the unit apart and see what this puppy can really do.
Chris H.

srb

« Reply #38 on: 7 Dec 2009, 10:29 pm »
Here is a USB A/A extension cable http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-EXT-2X.html so you can move the M2Tech off of your computer

But that won't work for the people who feel you need a $300 - $500 USB cable to maintain USB signal quality.

Steve

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #39 on: 7 Dec 2009, 11:59 pm »
Very interesting USB cable indeed!  Will be picking up one to try.  aa