Exodus Kepler SoundStage Reviewers' Choice Award

guest1632

Re: Exodus Kepler SoundStage Reviewers' Choice Award
« Reply #20 on: 3 Apr 2008, 09:07 pm »
The laws of physics would seem to state that the larger cabinet would go slightly lower, but believe me, it is not needed.  The curved cabinets are just so damned attractive, I wouldn't consider building the regular cabinet versions.  With the revised port tuning, however, I don't think there's a real discernable difference.  Kevin, please correct me if I'm mistaken. 

Your pretty much right.   The curved wall cabinets are so sexy that I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't use them.   The differences in extension are pretty minimal (once we adjusted the tuning frequency).    The only reason for using the rectangular cabinet is if that is what you cosmetically prefer.     

Hi Kevin,

I do remember reading in there that there was a slight mistune of the port, but that didn't seem to be a big deal. So we talking about a few Hertz or not even that much. So if you don't port it, then as a sealed cabinet, what does it measure out to? I presume it matters where you place that port tube or tubes?

Ray

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #21 on: 3 Apr 2008, 09:24 pm »
No... the port contribution is significant.    Without it you would have an F3 of something like 88Hz.   

The review sample was tuned to about 38Hz which was too low.   It caused the F3 of the system to raise but the roll-off of the response was slower.    With room gain, Colin was still getting good low frequency response.  It isn't like the thing went all to hell because of the lower tune.   The updated tuning is just better, more like a QB3 alignment and even though it is a higher tuning frequency, the bass response is stronger up to the tuning frequency.   

The in-room response is strong into the lower 40's with the current balance of box size & tuning frequency.   You're not going to significantly extend it without necessitating a re-design of the midwoofer.   Needless to say that isn't going to happen.    I'm happy with the choice of trade-offs I've made in the parameters and I'll have other drivers down the road that play deeper in larger boxes, with the resultant lower sensitivity and probably larger size.   

guest1632

« Reply #22 on: 3 Apr 2008, 09:32 pm »
No... the port contribution is significant.    Without it you would have an F3 of something like 88Hz.   

The review sample was tuned to about 38Hz which was too low.   It caused the F3 of the system to raise but the roll-off of the response was slower.    With room gain, Colin was still getting good low frequency response.  It isn't like the thing went all to hell because of the lower tune.   The updated tuning is just better, more like a QB3 alignment and even though it is a higher tuning frequency, the bass response is stronger up to the tuning frequency.   

The in-room response is strong into the lower 40's with the current balance of box size & tuning frequency.   You're not going to significantly extend it without necessitating a re-design of the midwoofer.   Needless to say that isn't going to happen.    I'm happy with the choice of trade-offs I've made in the parameters and I'll have other drivers down the road that play deeper in larger boxes, with the resultant lower sensitivity and probably larger size.   

Hi Kevin,

So what then do each of the two configurations, curved versus standard box tune to I somehow got the impression that the standard box has two ports, not just one like on the curved box. ?

Ray

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #23 on: 3 Apr 2008, 09:35 pm »

Hi Kevin,

So what then do each of the two configurations, curved versus standard box tune to I somehow got the impression that the standard box has two ports, not just one like on the curved box. ?

Ray

No... they just look different.   One port per box.   

guest1632

« Reply #24 on: 3 Apr 2008, 09:46 pm »

Hi Kevin,

Ray

So then like I asked before, are we only talking like a few hz or so? the difference between the standard box versus curved? I would not think the actual sound is different. Or am I just wondering about nothing?

Ray

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #25 on: 3 Apr 2008, 09:52 pm »

Hi Kevin,

Ray

So then like I asked before, are we only talking like a few hz or so? the difference between the standard box versus curved? I would not think the actual sound is different. Or am I just wondering about nothing?

Ray

You are chasing your tail Ray.  ;-)   

guest1632

« Reply #26 on: 3 Apr 2008, 10:15 pm »

Hmmm, will have to just look/feel behind me, hey, no tail! Then I'm not going to concern myself with it. I just figured since the standard box is a smidge bigger there would be some slight advantage, maybe a hz or two.

So balancing out the network for tube amps, what does that do to the sound?

Ray

Hi Kevin,

Ray

Ray

You are chasing your tail Ray.  ;-)