Meet the Magnetar speaker

HAL

Meet the Magnetar speaker
« on: 24 Nov 2019, 12:32 pm »
The next generation open baffle planar speaker begins. Meet the Magnetar open baffle planar wide range speaker.

Have been working with a new push-pull planar driver that is designed for open baffle use. Using a test folded baffle design, and doing the digital crossover with the dspMusikLCD 2x8, this is the farfield response in my room with first reflections removed. Adding in some first reflections goes down to 200Hz for crossover to the 3x12" servo subs wing the Rythmik Audio HX300-12OB servo amp and GR-Research 12" OB servo subs..This is not a speaker sensitivity measurement calibrated to 2.83V output.

The frequency response is +/-2dB form 300Hz to 22KHz and will be better than that at the low end. The driver specs are 103dB/1w/1m on a standard test baffle.

Will be working on the production baffle and working with the new dspNexus digital crossover as they become available. These will not be DIY kit speakers as The Monoliths are.

The initial listening sessions are these will be a force to recon with!

HAL

Re: Meet the Magnetar speaker
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2019, 02:17 am »
The Magnetar OB speakers can be stand mounted to separate them from the servo sub cabinets.  As in this picture with the servo subs near the front wall and the planars in more optimal spots for the mains.

Getting ideas for grill cloth to form fit it to the speaker baffle.

studiotech

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2019, 02:59 pm »
Very interesting. Seems like a Neo10 on steroids.

Are you planning the finished product running your custom planar all the way up top with no tweeter?  Using a single driver or in multiples?

Greg

HAL

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2019, 04:05 pm »
The Magetar will be a single planar on top a servo sub all open baffle.  Using a dspNexus for fully active system.

HAL

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2019, 04:06 pm »
The Magetar will be a single planar on top a servo sub all open baffle.  Using a dspNexus for fully active system.
It will be fully finished.

HAL

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2020, 03:27 am »
The Orchard Audio BOSC GaN monoblock amps have arrived and connected with 18" speaker cables to the single planar in the baffle.  Using the dspMusikLCD 2x8 as the digital crossover driving balanced inputs to the amps.

The crossover to a pair of 3x12 OB servo subs is working and will be tweaking levels.

So far very impressed with the amp sound driving the planars and integration with the servo subs.

The final baffles are still in work, so will take pictures once they are done.

jmpsmash

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2020, 08:26 am »
single driver planar, flat from 300-22kHz, 100+db. That's like a dream come true. When will this be available and what's your target cost?

HAL

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2020, 12:53 pm »
No target date or price at this time. 

Waiting on the dspNexus digital crossover and production style baffles to get the cost.

Angaria

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2020, 02:14 pm »
Very exciting development!  Will be interesting to see polar response, as getting a big enough planar to go low can sometimes mean it beams up high, but maybe you have a way to mitigate that.

HAL

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2020, 02:42 pm »
Will do off axis responses with the new baffles.

The last two HX300-12OB servo amps to run the servo subs are here and the Speakon connectors installed.  These are for the two 6x12 OB servo subs with 4 HX300-12OB amps. 

Will get the speaker levels dialed in this weekend. 

HAL

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2020, 12:41 am »
The four Rythmik Audio HX300-12OB servo amps are now running the two 6x12 OB H-Frame servo subs. 

A fun visceral experience with this bass with the Magnetar planar running everything above 200Hz.  The Orchard Audio BOSC monoblock amps are directly driving the planars. 

The dspMusikLCD 2x8 is doing digital crossover for the system with everything running balanced.  Absolutely no noise from the system in my room when nothing is playing.  Great black background.

HAL

« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2020, 07:38 pm »
The dspNexus 2x8 is now running the Magnetar speakers as a 2-way system.  Using the new AKM AK4499 DAC modules to run the system with two 3x12 OB servo subs.  The planars are driven directly by the BOSC amps.

After the measurements with the latest prototype open baffles for the planars, the updated digital crossover design sounds great mating to the servo subs. 

Now for a lot of listening to finish the voicing.   :D

studiotech

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2020, 10:25 pm »
Any updates to share?

HAL

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2020, 11:04 pm »
Very happy with the sound quality so far.   

I know of some improvements needing to occur, so working on those now.   

Arrgh

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2020, 02:20 am »
Is that a Mad 1 Planar? I'm having so much speaker envy right now...

HAL

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jun 2020, 02:28 am »
No, the planar driver is not a MAD-1. 

Arrgh

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jun 2020, 02:47 am »
I'm intrigued. Is it custom built, or do you think it will ever hit the market? I'd be interested in a pair for a much smaller, compact build. Looking forward to seeing your finished model!

HAL

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2020, 03:09 am »
The planar is an OEM unit that I obtained for testing.  It is in a prototype baffle at this point for testing.

It is similar size to a BG NEO10, but it will not be for a DIY open baffle planar, it will be for a production system. 

As with any open baffle speaker is will need at least 3' behind the baffle to work correctly.   

Will post here when it is ready.

Arrgh

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jun 2020, 02:54 am »
Sad that the planar is not going to be available for DIY, as it's the exact speaker I dream drool over having for my project (single driver planar dreams...), but still excited to see how this turns out. Looking at the specs your system is going be a hell of a listen.

Look forward to seeing what you do! 

scararabe

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jun 2020, 01:52 pm »
Sad that the planar is not going to be available for DIY, as it's the exact speaker I dream drool over having for my project (single driver planar dreams...), but still excited to see how this turns out. Looking at the specs your system is going be a hell of a listen.

Look forward to seeing what you do!

Hello, we are chatting on a DIY forum and I think many people will beg you to change your plans and offer this speaker for DIYers.
In any case I am also part of it!