Re: U2 Achtung baby
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2011, 04:39 pm »
UHHH make that Anyone instead of antone  :duh:

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2011, 04:54 pm »
I assume you mean the hirez HDtracks version?  Yes, we've discussed it on other threads here.  it's ok.

Alpha10

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2011, 08:04 pm »
it's ok.

Not the greatest of praise then?

I had hoped this one was going to be good, I really fancied the Delux edition on HDtracks, any more feedback on it?

Cheers

gkinberg

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2011, 08:37 pm »
I’m probably going to get lambasted for this but oh well.  My wife (and the rest of the world) loves U2 but I’ve never been a big fan. It is in part because I don’t feel that their albums are either particularly well recorded or well mixed, I’m not sure. Some of the instruments mask some of the others, presumably because they have been mixed in too hot for example.

I would love to get a remastered or HD CD that is generally considered recorded or mixed better than their normal studio recordings. Does this exist or am I nuts!

Garth

vhiner

« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2011, 05:49 am »
I’m probably going to get lambasted for this but oh well.  My wife (and the rest of the world) loves U2 but I’ve never been a big fan. It is in part because I don’t feel that their albums are either particularly well recorded or well mixed, I’m not sure. Some of the instruments mask some of the others, presumably because they have been mixed in too hot for example.

I would love to get a remastered or HD CD that is generally considered recorded or mixed better than their normal studio recordings. Does this exist or am I nuts!

Garth

Don't feel bad; I've loved U2 since their first U.S. tour, but even I have to admit that their recordings, mixes and mastering are nearly all seriously flawed. My theory is that Bono and the Edge suffer from significant hearing loss.  :lol:

It's really perplexing and a shame. Consider this: there are dozens of independent bands producing recordings right now in their living rooms that are of better sound quality than any of the multi million dollar U2 projects. I'd love to hear theories about why this is the case.

BrianAbington

« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2011, 06:40 am »
I personally love U2. I have original UK pressings of all but 4 of their albums. Achtung Baby is my favorite. Their masterpiece in my opinion, and the last album before bono's lyrics became rambling nonsense.

I want to compare my original vinyl to the remastered version. I really want the hd tracks version for my portable version.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2011, 11:52 am »
Don't feel bad; I've loved U2 since their first U.S. tour, but even I have to admit that their recordings, mixes and mastering are nearly all seriously flawed. My theory is that Bono and the Edge suffer from significant hearing loss.  :lol:

It's really perplexing and a shame. Consider this: there are dozens of independent bands producing recordings right now in their living rooms that are of better sound quality than any of the multi million dollar U2 projects. I'd love to hear theories about why this is the case.

U2 is one of my favorite bands (certainly my favorite of the last 25 years), and IMO one of the best live bands ever. I agree the original recordings, even on vinyl, leave a lot to be desired. However, I have the remastered vinyl editions of Boy, October, War, The Unforgetable Fire and the 20th Anniversery remastered The Joshua Tree. All are significantly better than the originals and all of the remastering was under the direction of The Edge. If there are hi rez editions of the remastered albums you might give them a try.

Laura
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2011, 05:21 pm by vinyl_lady »

vhiner

« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2011, 04:58 pm »
U2 is one of my favorite bands (certainly my favorite of the last 25 years), and IMO one of the best live bands ever. I agree the original recordings, even on vinyl, leave a lot to be desired. However, I have the remastered vinyl editions of Boy, October, War, The Unforgetable Fire and the 20th Anniversery remastered The Joshua Tree. All are significantly better that the originals and all of the remastering was under the direction of The Edge. If there are hi rez editions of the remastered albums you might give them a try.

Laura

Thanks, Laura. I'd heard those vinyl releases were better. I keep hoping they'll turn over the masters to someone like George Martin's son, who did such a remarkable job on the "Love" album of Beatles songs. The sound quality is better than the originals or even the official remasters by a WIDE margin.

I think Boy was the best original recording/mix of all of U2's albums...there was certainly no compression to speak of.