Apple non-Mini system descriptions

Bigfishhk

Re: Apple non-Mini system descriptions
« Reply #40 on: 16 May 2012, 03:37 pm »
My Mac Audio System Description: All brand new within the last month

Mac model and processor: 24" iMac, 2.8GHz
Operating system version: Leopard 10.5.4
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): 1TB internal. External pending
Internal memory installed: 4GB

Monitor/keyboard: Wired
Wireless hardware: Mighty Mouse
Software music player(s): iTunes
Music file format: ALAC
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc): Stock remote

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): NuForce Icon
Pre amplifier: N/A
External DAC: NuForce Icon
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers: N/A
Speakers in this system: NuForce S-1
Interconnect types between Mac and X: USB Cable
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): Side room

Since your MAc is in side room and you connect via USB to the system, how do you do this?
thanks
T

applesource

« Reply #41 on: 9 Aug 2012, 04:51 am »
Mac model and processor: 2.4 GHz intel Core 2 Duo  MacBook 5,1;
Operating system version:10.6.8
Hard drive type: 64gb internal SSD; Ext USB 649gb, 5400rpm hitachi laptop drive 
Internal memory installed: 2X2gb

Monitor/keyboard: N/A
Wireless hardware: wifi internet connection
Software music player(s): Audirvana Plus
Music file format: AIFF
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc):Nil

Amplifier: Marantz Pearl Lite Integrated Amp
Pre amplifier:Nil
External DAC: Beresford BushMaster MK 2 , powered by a 12v, 6800ma LI-PO battery power pack, connected to a Musical Fidelity, V-Link II usb/coax converter.
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers:Nil
Speakers in this system: Richter Legend IV "Wizards" (ribbon tweeter) Australian brand 3 way floorstanders
Location of the Mac: Lounge Room

Also provide comments on these:

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system? Upgraded to 4gb ram and put all my music on an external Hitachi 500gb 5400rpm harddrive, deleted as much of the OS irrelevant to audio that I can, followed most of the various tips provided on this forum for improving sound quality, the MB is now a dedicated music player.
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)? Can't think of anything
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ? The SQ is now about where I want it  and the ease/speed of start up.  Audirvana Plus taking control of itunes and battery powering the  Beresford Bushmaster dac have had most impact to my ears. Adding the USB MF V-Link II as a change from the previous optical out has tightened the sound a little bit more particularly the bass, I feel.
d. Other comments: Just listening to music system puts a smile on my dial most days now. This may be frowned upon by many, but to my ears the best sound I have achieved is from setting itunes import setting at AIFF 16/48 and outputting at 24/96. Anyway I have all my library recorded like this and am happy with the results.
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2014, 09:51 pm by applesource »

AllynW

« Reply #42 on: 5 May 2013, 02:59 am »
My Mac Audio System Description:

Mac model and processor: MacBook Air 1.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Operating system version: 10.8.3
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): Western Digital 2 TB RAID 1
Internal memory installed: 2 GB DDR3

Monitor/keyboard:NA
Wireless hardware: Internal
Software music player(s):iTunes
Music file format: Apple lossless
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc): MacBook Pro.

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): VTL 450 MKII
Pre amplifier: Musical Fidelity 308cr
External DAC: CAL Alpha
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers: Mid line MIT cables
Speakers in this system: B&W 801 S3
Interconnect types between Mac and X: HagUSB converter.
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): Stereo only Man Cave

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system?
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)?
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ?
d. Other comments: I use the digital Equalizer program in iTunes to adjust frequencies to suite my room. When making the adjustments I used Final Vinyl as a starting point.

AllynW

« Reply #43 on: 9 Jun 2013, 01:21 am »
My old Mac Mini audio system is post in the Mini thread.  Since that post I've made a few changes to my over all stereo rig.  Gone is the mini, replaced by a MacBook Air. 

My Mac Audio System Description:

Mac model and processor: MacBook Air(2010) w/1.4GHz Processor
Operating system version: 10.8.4 (Snow Leopard)
Hard drive type: Western Digital MyBook 2Gig w/RAID1, USB
Internal memory installed: 2 Gig

Monitor/keyboard: Internal
Wireless hardware: NA
Software music player(s): iTunes
Music file format: Apple Lossless and a small amount of MP3
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc): Screen Sharing to MacBook Pro, iPad or iPhone.

Amplifier: VTL 450MKII tube mono blocks
Pre amplifier: Musical Fidelity 308Cr Pre-Amp.
External DAC: Esoteric D-07
Speakers in this system: B&W 801 Series 3

Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):My system is located in a dedicated listen room.  The dimensions  are 11' X 20' and it's on the 2nd floor.  I use 3/4” granite slabs under each speaker.

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system? NA
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)? I am pretty darn happy!
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ?  Like many here I really like having quick and easy access to all my digital music.
d. Other comments: The resent addition of the Esoteric D-07 DAC is a huge improvement over my previous Musical Fidelity 21 DAC.

gnuyork

« Reply #44 on: 28 Feb 2014, 04:04 am »
My Mac Audio System Description: This is not my main music system, but more of a work solution for monitoring audio...

Mac model and processor: Mac Pro 12 core 2.66 Ghz
Operating system version: 10.6.8 and Mavericks on a dual boot (not a fan of Mavericks yet)
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): Internal drives 4 +4 +3 +1TB SATA drives and 240 GB SSD for boot drive
Internal memory installed: 24 Gigs

Monitor/keyboard: NEC Spectraview 27" and Wacom Intuos tablet
Wireless hardware: Apple airport extreme, apple TV
Software music player(s): iTunes, Logic Pro
Music file format: Aiff, AAC, FLAC (for external use with a portable player)
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc): n/a

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Speakers are powered
Pre amplifier: built into my audio interface
External DAC: Focusrite Saffire LE
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers: n/a
Speakers in this system: Neumann KN120 (powered) on metal stands 3/4 filled with sand, speakers sit on top of Herbie's square dots minis
Interconnect types between Mac and X: nothing special, mogami gold balanced XLRs
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): beside my desk

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system?  SDD drive in sled located in 2nd CD bay
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)? more pci slots
d. Other comments: My system is overkill for audio only, but I am a video editor and graphic designer - I also do photography and mix audio as a hobby.

xit

« Reply #45 on: 22 Oct 2014, 10:15 pm »
hi

Here's my Mac Audio System Description:

Mac model and processor: mac book intel core 2 duo
Operating system version: 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
Hard drive: external USB 2 500 Go HDD
Internal memory installed: 4Go 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Monitor/keyboard: Samsung 21.5"
Wireless hardware: None
Software music player(s): Amarra Symphony 3.0
Music file format: Aiff
Other method of control: sometimes VNC controlled by some other laptops
                                     music is also loaded in the HDD thanks to the network

Amplifier, and type: Naim Nap 140 class B stereo amp with custom power cable made with:
                              Furutech Cu connectors/YARBO Double shield 3x4.80mm² cable
Pre amplifier: Naim Nac 32
External DAC: Focusrite scarlet 2i2 USB2 soundcard
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers: Dirac Live Digital room correction software
Speakers in this system: 3A Auditorat Phase plus
Interconnect types between Mac and X: normal USB cable with ferrites
                                                          custom neutrik jack stereo(soundcard)/mogami cable/silver plated dyn4 (preamp) cable

Location of the Mac: in the listening area, on the top a old 70s hifi rack with the soundcard and the monitor

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system?
    nothing for the moment
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)?
    more ram but i'm at the max, a SDD drive connected to a firewire dock for the music
    and for christmas a DAC like a Rega, Benchmark, Lavry, Prism (will come soon)

Amarra software + Itune library +  Dirac room correction software is a great combo
d. Other comments:
    I Love this setup but in summer the laptop is hot and a bit noisy so now it's on a coolermaster alu stand/cooler
    (without the fans). I'm going to make a custom silent cooled without screen case so it will be very quiet and cool

EricS

« Reply #46 on: 9 Jul 2022, 01:14 pm »
I'm using a Macbook Air M1 connected to a Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 3 audio interface. The Macbook seems to work well for audio, I use it with Audirvana. My plan is to upgrade my audio interface to a Focusrite Clarett+ 2Pre.