SVS 16 Ultra wants to play with my X3's

MichaelHiFi

SVS 16 Ultra wants to play with my X3's
« on: 18 Aug 2022, 12:24 am »
Looking at the stock plate amps, I see a Spatial sticker covering up what is probably what the plate amp actually is. There are RCA & balanced jacks that do not tell me that they pass a signal. I see analog in remote and pass through on the the balanced side.

I can drag that beastly sub into my 2 channel room but thought I' might get a quick response here.

Thanks!

SoCalWJS

Re: SVS 16 Ultra wants to play with my X3's
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2022, 03:32 pm »
Hey there Michael!

How’s things going in UT?

I have no real answer (not familiar with which plate amp it is), but….. Which Preamp you using these days? Does it have more than one output? If not, could you split the signal? Either way, run one to the input of the SVS and give it a shot since you already have the Sub. Take care in placement, limit it’s range (keep it to the bottom octave/octave and a half), watch the output level. If it’s a sealed unit, fine, if it’s not, play with plugging the ports.

I’m sure it’s a PITA, but since you have it already, give it a shot. I LOVE clean, effortless bass when listening to music, especially when it is called for. Multiple subs even better to even out room nodes.

TomS

Jpdoyle3

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2022, 06:31 pm »
I believe those amps/inputs are "closed" by Spatial. The amps are integrated into the crossover and are not accessible by a user.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2022, 08:39 pm »
Hey SoCalWJS, how the music sounding these days.  :D

I'm using a Allnic T2000 30th Anniversary. It's big, powerful, nuanced and pure. No preouts. Yeah thought about Ying the output jacks. Rather find a better method but for the sake of "what if", maybe. No bass issues in my dedicated room. The SVS has builtin DSP and memory so I can store a program for 2 channel and HT. That and I have mucho room treatment including walls that float.

Southern Utah is AWESOME. Folks here are old school friendly. Very kid friendly. No BS. Just wish there were audiophiles in the area. Miss our posse.

I plan on upgrading the x-overs is the 47uf Mile cap ever becomes available again. I just wished to see what my SVS could do in my 2 channel system as it largely sits unused and that's a damn shame.

I was looking at upgrading the stock plate amps to the 501 version. Wonder if anyone has done that? The 501 is a bit bigger but a chainsaw would take care of fitment.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2022, 09:09 pm »
Actually, there are no output jacks on the Allnic  :duh:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2022, 01:32 am »
Yeah….that does make it tough. Integrated with no “Tape Monitor Loop” etc.

I bet it’s CLEAN. GREAT for 2 channel. Still in love with the Turntable? Hope so. Great Vinyl still is tough to beat.

Had some friends move to New Harmony several years ago and we visited them when it was pretty cold. Drove to CC for breakfast one day and hit a “Winery” place (actually - pretty good, regardless of where the grapes were actually grown). The view from their place was incredible - one of the “Alternative” entrances to the Park was due East. Sunrise/Sunset was SPECTACULAR (But geesh was it cold. A couple of inches of very dry snow fell)

Don’t think you have an easy solution for trying a Sub. A few Sub Amps have the option of using Speaker Wire as input and then pass along the signal, but I’ve never gone down that road. I know there are a few that have the option, but no clue how bad the signal degradation is…..

Good luck

Mr. Big

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2022, 02:08 pm »
Yeah….that does make it tough. Integrated with no “Tape Monitor Loop” etc.

I bet it’s CLEAN. GREAT for 2 channel. Still in love with the Turntable? Hope so. Great Vinyl still is tough to beat.

Had some friends move to New Harmony several years ago and we visited them when it was pretty cold. Drove to CC for breakfast one day and hit a “Winery” place (actually - pretty good, regardless of where the grapes were actually grown). The view from their place was incredible - one of the “Alternative” entrances to the Park was due East. Sunrise/Sunset was SPECTACULAR (But geesh was it cold. A couple of inches of very dry snow fell)

Don’t think you have an easy solution for trying a Sub. A few Sub Amps have the option of using Speaker Wire as input and then pass along the signal, but I’ve never gone down that road. I know there are a few that have the option, but no clue how bad the signal degradation is…..

Good luck

Actually, in my experience, an active sub with speaker connectors as well as RCA inputs, the ones with speaker connectors like REL and Martin Logans better subs all offer this option and for a good reason, not only do they sound better, then integrate better, but as well as taken on the same sonics as your main speakers due to being driven by the same amp. I always used RCA inputs till I read about going direct from the same amp as your main speakers and I tried it and I never gone back, seamless and better defined bass. Try it this way if you can.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2022, 01:53 pm »
 I'm setting up a second system upstairs where the living room and kitchen reside.

I've temporarily stolen the Allnic and the May DAC.. and the Project RS2-T to play music using the Buchardt S400 MKII's. Sounds great! But, given the size of the space, bass was lacking. I have a set of Adam SW260 MKIII's subwoofers in storage. But again, no output jacks on the Allnic. Here's where audio bravery steps in (or stupidity).

I fashioned a pair of speaker cables - spades on one side and RCA's on the other. I attached the spades on the speaker terminals and the RCA's on the input terminals on the subs. I carefully (like one can carefully flip switches  :roll:) turned the system on. No smoke but damn I got bass! Now we're rocking upstairs  :thumb:. This is a short term solution, a preamp has been ordered.

So one might say, well MichaelHiFi, what about your X3's downstairs in your dedicated audio room? You stolen most of your gear. Yeah, the gear has got to back. And upstairs is supposed to be a budget system. So I have a preamp on order, I've got the BMC sitting on the floor as well as an Oppo BDP105 (the weak link) and maybe, I'll get brave again and attach the SVS 16Ultra I have in my HT room and supplement with the X3's.

Note in the pic, cookbooks are keeping the Allnic from busting the shelf, more audio bravery?

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2022, 02:17 pm »
You were right in the idea of using the subs with no rca outs, but you are missing a couple resistors to convert that back to line level. I have a cheap receiver that has 2 sub outs but don't create stereo sound from the bass like I wanted, plus it forces using dsp which I didnt care for. That's why I fashioned a workaround. It takes speaker cables out to an rca jack, but the rca jack has a 1/4W 10k (or 13k in my system) resistor on positive leg to the speaker cable, and a 1/4W 1k resistor between the positive and ground leg on the jack. This will drop your speaker cable back down to a line level signal that your sub can accept a lot better. It's the exact same thing an integrated amp would do on their "sub out" connection, just that we're doing it outside the box.

Hope this helps.

-Lloyd

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2022, 02:52 pm »
Really good idea  :thumb:

I could do that, and I will downstairs with the X3's. I'd only be using one sub, the SVS 16 ultra and it would be borrowed from my HT system. Upstairs, I have a preamp shipping from Europe that has 2 sets of outputs, so problem will be solved.

Thanks for the tip!