Spatial Audio M or X with AGD Audions?

kayakerf

Spatial Audio M or X with AGD Audions?
« on: 16 Aug 2021, 12:42 am »
Anyone driving Spatial Audio M or X with AGD Audions?

I'm also curious if having an efficient Class D (assuming it's similar to Class A/AB audio quality) driving the X3/X5 makes sense since the X's have their own Class D amp for the LF driver.

consttraveler

• I think I won!
Re: Spatial Audio M or X with AGD Audions?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2021, 06:32 pm »
I'm also interested in this question (both parts).  I intend on having a pair of X-5's on-order today or tomorrow if I get a reply to other questions from Spatial's sales.

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2021, 06:51 pm »
The X5's work very well with Cherry amps, better than all the other class D's I tried. Clean, quiet, very neutral sounding, and terrific bass. I have both the Cherry King Desktop Maraschino monoblocks and a Modwright KWH 225i hybrid integrated, which is my primary amp.

It is worth noting that the X series sub amp's input is also driven from the X's primary speaker terminals, which are connected to your main amplifier, so there may be some sonic carryover there.

Mr. Big

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2021, 11:09 pm »
I listened to a Modwright KWH 225i hybrid integrated It was Very, Very Nice, sound meat on the bones unlike class D.which some like. I heard a PS audio P1200 and it was very good but still lacking in color and overtones, but a killer in other ways, but I felt a large part of the experience was lacking, I guess it is always a trade-off.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2021, 01:34 pm by Mr. Big »

morganc

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2021, 02:48 am »
Anyone driving Spatial Audio M or X with AGD Audions?

I'm also curious if having an efficient Class D (assuming it's similar to Class A/AB audio quality) driving the X3/X5 makes sense since the X's have their own Class D amp for the LF driver.
[/quote

You'll get many responses here.  I've owned 30 plus tube amps and love tubes but needed class d for the heat in the summer and used a DAC Megaschino with x-5 and a tube pre and it was world classs.

Nick B

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2021, 03:09 am »
The AGDs have received some very favorable comments by OCD HiFi Guy Mikey on utube fwiw
Here are just a few videos he’s done on AGD…
https://youtu.be/LKoDImM-e44
https://youtu.be/2iTtLFUtItI

jjss49

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2021, 05:06 am »
my agd audions work very well with the m3 sapphires...

franSSS

« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2021, 07:22 am »
Modwright KWH 225i hybrid integrated

Very, Very Nice, sound meat on the bones unlike class D, which is great for bottom-end and squeaky clean sound, which some like, bt is it like the color and overtones as live music? Heard PS audio P1200 and it was very good but still lacking in color and over tones, but a killer in other ways, but I felt a large part of the experience was lacking, I guess it is always a trade-off.

You mean Ps Audio M1200 mono blocks?

Mr. Big

« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2021, 01:31 pm »
Yes.

markmuse

« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2021, 09:53 pm »
I tried the ADG Audions on my X5's. They are indeed detailed without fatigue on the X5, but they were too thin sounding for my tastes. Yes, the X5's have powered woofers, but they derive their signal from the amplifier feed, not a separate line level from the preamp, so what the amp sends them is what they have to work with. So back to my Rowland.

You also asked about other class D amplification. My Rowland 535 is class D and I love it. In fact I have two of them. For me the ideal setup is tubes upstream of a good class D amp.

markmuse

« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2021, 09:56 pm »
I forgot to mention that I got my ADG's from Mike Powell (Mikey the OCD guy). Great fellow to work with. He is very helpful.

morganc

« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2022, 08:51 pm »
Anyone else with experience with AGD amps on the Spatials?