APPJ mini2013 vs. APPJ PA1501A Mini Tube Amplifiers

MCM_Fan

I'm looking for an inexpensive tube amp for a friend who is interested in giving tubes a try. I will be loaning her a pair of Klipsh KG4's to start out, as they are the most efficient speakers in my stable. If she likes the sound, we'll either upgrade my KG4s (Crites diaphragms and recapped crossovers) or maybe track down some even more efficient speakers.

There are two currently offered on Massdrop:

APPJ PA1501A Mini Tube Amplifier ($149.99 + $9.50 shipping):

Upgraded Tube Amp

Released earlier this year, the APPJ PA1501A is the latest tube amplifier from Gemtune. Based on the PA0901A with a host of upgrades, it features two 6AD10 tubes in a Class A configuration for improved noise performance, frequency response, and power output. This amp is beautifully built with a solid metal chassis, and delivers enough oomph to drive your favorite bookshelf speakers.

Specs

Gemtune
Tube: 6AD10
Power output: 3.5 W + 3.5 W at 8 ohm
Frequency response: 30-40 kHz (+/- 1 dB)
Input sensitivity: 500 mV
Signal-to-noise ratio: -80 dB / 3.5 W
Residual noise: < 0.5 mV AC
Input AC voltage: 100-250 V AC
Power consumption: 38 W
Input impedance: 10 kohms
Output impedance: 8/6/4 ohm (Japan Z11-EI48*24 output transformers)
Input: RCA jacks
Output: Banana jacks
AC: Standard IEC jack with fuse protection (2A fuse)
Dimensions: 6.3 x 5.3 x 4.9 in (16 x 13.4 x 12.5 cm)
Weight: 5.5 lb (2.5 kg)

APPJ mini2013 6J1+6P1 ($99.99 + $9.50 shipping):

New Mini Tube Amp

Featuring two 6J1 driver tubes and two 6P1 power tubes, the new mini2013 6J1+6P1 mini tube delivers great noise performance, frequency response, and power output for the price. It’s beautifully built with a solid metal chassis in your choice of color, and provides enough oomph to drive your favorite bookshelf speakers.

Specs
APPJ
Driver tubes: 6J1
Power tubes: 6P1
Power output: 3W + 3W at 8 ohm
Frequency response: 30–40 Khz (+/- 1 dB)
Input sensitivity: 500 mV
Signal-to-noise ratio: -80 dB / 3 W
Residual noise: < 1 mVac
Input AC voltage: 100–350 Vac
Power consumption: 35 W
Input impedance: 10 kohm
Output impedance: 8/6/4 ohm (Japan Z11-EI48*24 output transformers)
Input: RCA jackets
Output: Banana jacks
AC: Standard IEC jack with fuse protection
Dimensions: 4.9 x 5.2 x 6.5 in (12.4 x 13.2 x 16.6 cm)
Weight: 3.7 lb (1.7 kg)
Power cord not included

So, has anyone heard both? If so, which did you prefer and why? The mini2013 has been around longer and seems to be well regarded for the money, but the PA1501A claims to be an upgraded/improved design. I like the looks/form factor of the PA1501A better, but that's not really all that important. The real question is, does it actually sound better than the mini2013?

Also, which model would be better for (affordable) tube rolling? The 4-tube (2 each 6J1 + 6P1) mini2013, or the 2-tube PA1501A (2 each 6AD10).

ohenry

Re: APPJ mini2013 vs. APPJ PA1501A Mini Tube Amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2016, 08:44 pm »
I joined the Massdrop for the  PA1501A.  I've heard the older version of what was called the Miniwatt and I hope this one is a bit better.  I'll stick it in a bedroom powering a pair of small wide-range speakers I made from stoneware.  I doubt it'll rock, but that's okay.    8)

Update: I bought some NOS RCA tubes on epray for a little under $20 delivered.  Some retubing shouldn't be bad at all.   :)
« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2016, 10:59 pm by ohenry »

e311

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2017, 11:06 pm »
How'd those new 6AD10 tubes treat you?  I have the older EL84 APPJ and am considering this new one if it's a true upgrade ... but I worry there's not as much tube-rolling fun to be had  :D

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2023, 11:16 pm »
I've had this little APPJ PA1501A Mini Tube Amplifier for years, I bought it used for $50.00. Coincidently, I come across this post and felt compelled to share my experience. Last year, I built some nice GR Reseach NX-STUDIO's. I was curious how this little amp might sound with these monitors and 2 Powered Subs, I was pleasantly surpirsed. It would works really well in a smaller room environment.  If you find one used, it's a bargain. Granted, it's not what I typically use alongside my GR Research NX-Studio's, but it was a blast setting up this litlte pint sized amp. I was impressed how good it sounded, to think I bought it for practically peanuts, makes me continuously laugh. This "Little Rascal" delivers the goods impressively well. Highly recommend for those seeking a mini budget entry desktop tube amp.

I also tried them with a old pair of Vandersteen 2CE's as well, equally impressed.

« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2023, 04:20 am by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2023, 10:53 am »
I've enjoyed the original S-1 since it was first reviewed here many years ago. It has the diode mod which was the popular upgrade back in the day. I've rolled many tubes and adaptors through the MW and finally settled on the big smokey Ken-Rads. I've had the three tube version but IMO the original four tube version is better. Back in 2009 the S-1 sold for over $200 and now it's about half that. I've been surprised at it's ability to drive less efficient speakers and at it's low price it may be the best C and C audio bargain of all. If there's another new single ended tube amp out there at this price I haven't seen it.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2023, 04:57 pm »
I've enjoyed the original S-1 since it was first reviewed here many years ago. It has the diode mod which was the popular upgrade back in the day. I've rolled many tubes and adaptors through the MW and finally settled on the big smokey Ken-Rads. I've had the three tube version but IMO the original four tube version is better. Back in 2009 the S-1 sold for over $200 and now it's about half that. I've been surprised at it's ability to drive less efficient speakers and at it's low price it may be the best C and C audio bargain of all. If there's another new single ended tube amp out there at this price I haven't seen it.

I bought one for my daughter's PC system, along with a Shiit DAC and Preamp/Headphone amp.  It's a great little system.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2023, 10:45 am »
Don't consider the APPJ/MW as just a nice little desk top amp. It's right at home driving large efficient speakers like my Lowther MLTL's. In this original review from 6moons it was paired with several exotic floor standers.

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/miniwatt/miniwatt_2.html

Poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2023, 11:10 am »
Sold the Omens but kept the MW as it deserved better.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2023, 09:09 am »
Love the S-1 driving the Zenith 49CZ alnico's in open baffles. Here I'm trying the great sounding 6AQ5 ( 6v6 equivalent ) in their adaptors. Source is a Fire Stick 4K streaming Amazon HD through an HDMI extractor into the DAC.