Platform mods? What do you use to block resonances?

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
Re: Platform mods? What do you use to block resonances?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2022, 01:55 am »
3-inch Butcher Block Acoustics Midnite black with Isoacoustics Gaia II feet under my SME 15.

mav52

« Reply #21 on: 13 Feb 2022, 02:05 pm »
I use a Timbernation solid maple 4 tier rack along with Herbies Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots at the base of the rack. .  All of this sets on a poured 5" concrete floor.  No vibrations at all a the top (3") turntable level..

SET Man

« Reply #22 on: 13 Feb 2022, 07:56 pm »
Hey!

For years I've been using 3/8" granite slabs I picked from Home Depot and bicycle inner tubes lightly inflated underneath it all. I also have a zip lock bags filled a bit with sand on top of the slabs.

I recently got another turntable so I moved the granite slab from under my CD player and got the IKEA cutting board just to see since it seems to be very popular right now. But I think I like the sound with the granite slab better, guess I'll have to go to Home Depot to get a new one.

Buddy

RonP

« Reply #23 on: 14 Feb 2022, 02:14 am »
  For years I've been using 3/8" granite slabs I picked from Home Depot and bicycle inner tubes lightly inflated underneath it all.

that seems pretty brilliant to be honest!

SET Man

« Reply #24 on: 14 Feb 2022, 09:38 pm »
that seems pretty brilliant to be honest!

Hey!

Thanks! Well, I can't afford some expensive fancy schmancy $$$$$ Hi-End audio platforms so these would do :icon_lol:

By the way, all shelf have ringing at specific freq. so you can fine tune it by how much you inflated the inner tube.... I'd put my left hand on the top of the granite and knock the bottom of the shelf, 3/4" MDF in my case and I could feel the vibration though the set up. I just add or let out air until I feel the least amount of that knocking through the set up. Simple!

By the way, I using the same method with my monoblock SET amps on the floor between my speaker but with 2" thick 18"X18" patio concrete slap with larger inner tubes.

Buddy

rotarius

« Reply #25 on: 14 Feb 2022, 10:54 pm »
Hey SET Man, you are on the right track.  To move away from pseudo science, two things need to happen.
Determine the amount of air needed in the tube for that particular load to get the correct deflection.
Constrain the movement of the load in the vertical direction only, no movement laterally, side to side or front to back.
Since sonic improvements have to do with your brain perception anyway, you can ignore all that and enjoy the music. :thumb:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #26 on: 15 Feb 2022, 01:26 am »

Granite slab does an excellent job.

Phil_S

« Reply #27 on: 15 Feb 2022, 01:51 am »
I keep my turntable & electronics as far as I can from the speakers, currently about 20 feet with a soft sofa in between.   I don't understand the practice of keeping the equipment anywhere near the speakers unless you have no other choice due to the aforementioned resonances and vibrations.

Early B.

« Reply #28 on: 15 Feb 2022, 02:42 am »
Will these methods also work for CD transports?

I have a transport that is sensitive to vibrations. Unfortunately, it sits on an audio rack close to the right speaker. I have about 8 lbs of weight on top of the unit that reduces the problem, but it's a short-term solution. I tried a thick, wood slab with these isolation feet underneath, but that didn't work: https://www.turntablelab.com/products/isonoe-isolation-system-turntable-feet-25-kg-version-4-units-black?s=rec&w=p

I was thinking of trying a heavy granite slab like Bob2. Any other ideas?

Bob2

« Reply #29 on: 15 Feb 2022, 11:39 am »
My room is a stand alone building with 6 inch thick concrete floor.
The only component I have near my speakers is my Stratos Extreme amp.  All other gear is on opposite end of the room.
The tt uses Gaia lll feet on top of the 18X18X3 in granite surface plate. TT weighs 71lbs. granite is 100 lbs..
 No detectable vibrations at the tt. Blue Jeans interconnects from source to amp. CD player would likely benefit from sitting on a granite slab or homebrew concrete slab.

I'm a believer in using mass to dampen vibrations where applicable.
Only issue with using the granite surface plate is the shipping cost.
Grizzlyhttps://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-18-x-18-x-3-granite-surface-plate-no-ledge/g9653

sunnydaze

« Reply #30 on: 15 Feb 2022, 04:40 pm »
About 20 yrs ago I bought a Machinist stand and 18 x 24 x 3 granite surface plate from Grizzly.  IIRC I paid about $250 total including freight shipping, so I had to drive to a local freight depot to pick it up.  Looks like it's about double that now!  Times have changed.

https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=surface+plate

I painted it black and put a small 3 shelf MDF unit inside it.  Worked great under my Townshend Rock table. 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #31 on: 15 Feb 2022, 04:46 pm »
I use an Isoacoustics ZaZen under my TT. It works well.

Bob2

« Reply #32 on: 15 Feb 2022, 06:02 pm »
sunnydaze, nice stand! I'm sure that works well.
Yes, prices have gone up since I purchased the surface plate.

I use an Isoacoustics ZaZen under my TT. It works well.
I have no experience with that. I sure that works well also.

The Isoacoustics feet on my tt work well enough but I haven't noticed any improvement over the sorbothane footers I had previously.

sunnydaze

« Reply #33 on: 15 Feb 2022, 06:30 pm »

Great functionally, but sold it years ago.  Didn't look "nice enough", and my system had somehow outgrown the rack.   :scratch: :lol:

I currently use the DIY rack you see in my avatar.  More photos in my Gallery.
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2022, 01:07 pm by sunnydaze »

Bob2

« Reply #34 on: 15 Feb 2022, 07:33 pm »
I checked that out in your gallery awhile back. Very nice indeed.

I needed more room so I found a Salamander cabinet for a low price. Had a local cabinet builder make me a riser to go on top of it.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #35 on: 15 Feb 2022, 08:35 pm »
Yes, prices have gone up since I purchased the surface plate.
I have no experience with that. I sure that works well also.

The Isoacoustics feet on my tt work well enough but I haven't noticed any improvement over the sorbothane footers I had previously.

I recently replaced my oak wood floors with Hickory and put down a dampening underlayment pad underneath the floor. However, after the install my TT was very sensitive to foot steps and when I sat on my listening sofa about 14 feet away, I could tap on my thigh and hear it through the TT.  The ZaZen took about 85% of that away.  I already have sorbothane feet on my TT and it is well dampened with GT Mat lining the plinth which is made from cocbolo wood.  I then added a Herbies Way Excellent TT mat which helped about another 5%.  My TT is on a 6 tier rack that has about 200 pounds of gear on it.

Bob2

« Reply #36 on: 15 Feb 2022, 09:56 pm »
I recently replaced my oak wood floors with Hickory and put down a dampening underlayment pad underneath the floor. However, after the install my TT was very sensitive to foot steps and when I sat on my listening sofa about 14 feet away, I could tap on my thigh and hear it through the TT.  The ZaZen took about 85% of that away.  I already have sorbothane feet on my TT and it is well dampened with GT Mat lining the plinth which is made from cocbolo wood.  I then added a Herbies Way Excellent TT mat which helped about another 5%.  My TT is on a 6 tier rack that has about 200 pounds of gear on it.
I think that 200 lbs. is a good thing! Sounds like you have it figured out.
Thanks for sharing that info. Always interested in how others tackle problems. Hope you're playing some good Boogie on that TT! 8)

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #37 on: 16 Feb 2022, 08:18 pm »
I think of it as tuning not blocking(under all equipment) . different notion  can lead to better solutions.
My turntables are on a long wide older glass and sand filled metal tube TV stand. A Rega and a Kuzma sit up on on top glass with base 22" x17 x 1.5" hard Maple, on Kuzma side then a 17" x  15" x 3"Walnut. On the Rega side the second base is Hard maple. All placed after a lot of listening.
Between the blocks of wood are four tiny sorbothane pads in a trapezoid pattern.
The blocks of wood are to resonate as they do, not to stop them from resonating.
This is not happy news for most Audiophiles who abhor anything different.  :thumb:

jschwenker

« Reply #38 on: 17 Feb 2022, 03:00 am »
Here's a whole lot of detail and lots of pictures on a rig that I built to solve an LF feedback problem. Basically is a compact variation on the old "suspend the TT from the ceiling" line of thought. Excellent isolation from dancing around on the floor is another side benefit! Also, others chime in there with their favorite types of solutions. Good luck!

One Hz isolating wall mount:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82514.msg1306519#msg1306519

Cheers, John

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #39 on: 17 Feb 2022, 08:57 am »
Hey Phil and Bob,
Do you guys run long interconnects or speaker cable?
Would love to hear your experiences. Thanks