JVC HSW1101-01A Ribbon (leaf) Tweeter replacement? Burned it out.

davidc1

So, what would be a good recommended replacement for the JVC HSW1101-01A Ribbon (Leaf) Tweeter?

I literally burned them out with sparks and flame the other day.

The crossover is at 15kHz

I'm probably looking for something with good power handling. With my most recent audiogram, I can barely hear above 12kHz anyway.

Would the Bohlender Graebener Neo3 PDR be a  good choice?

Or perhaps the Foster-E100T10-Ribbon

We sit about 10-15 degrees below the mounting point of the super tweeter, and about 10-15 degrees from the horizontal axis as the speakers are toed in a bit. We sit about 17 feet from the speakers. Our listening positions don't change.

Thanks all.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Numerous well regarded speakers through the years have employed super tweeters, don't believe everything someone tells you.

davidc1

« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2022, 06:06 am by davidc1 »

josh358

I think I'd go with a true ribbon if possible, they're a bit better than the Neo 3, not that the Neo 3 is bad. Maybe look at the Heil drivers too. I'm not really up on what's best -- you can look at Parts Express and do some research. (Actually, the Raals are best but they're very expensive.)

Also, don't forget to check the sensitivity of your speaker and make sure the ribbon isn't less sensitive. Try to get a tweeter with the same impedance as the existing driver, which is probably fairly close to the nominal impedance of the whole speaker -- but look up the driver specs, if you can. You want to match impedance and sensitivity so that the crossover works correctly. (There are ways to correct for this but you'll need to build a new crossover, and needless to say that's a bit of work.)