How long do drivers typically last?

User456101

How long do drivers typically last?
« on: 26 Sep 2021, 01:51 pm »
I am more of a long-term owner of audio equipment.  I am wondering how long a driver typically lasts before it needs to be replaced.  I realize this is a range depending on usage, proper quality amp, etc. but under regular use (but not continuous) with reasonable amp, a few hours a day, say 10-20 hours a week, how long would a tweeter or woofer last?  Similarly, if unused, what would be the approximate lifespan.  I am actually heavily considering the Cambridge Pedistale, but I am guessing the new old stock was built in 2013 or so, and has been on the shelf since then, so I am wondering how long the drivers might last before needing to be replaced, under regular use, and if replacement drivers would be available for them.  I guess this is a question directed at GR Research, but any insight from other members would also be appreciated.

consttraveler

• I think I won!
Re: How long do drivers typically last?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2021, 03:51 pm »
Right up to the time the cat get's ahold of them!

Seriously, I have a pair of open baffle speakers (Emerald Physics) that have been in use for +/- 10 hours a day, for over 13 years.  From critical listening, to background noise, to TV viewing they have been on all of the time!  Yesterday, I sat down with a couple of favorite albums and felt guilty for ordering a new pair of Spatial Audio X-5's last month.  Really!

No idea how long they will last after I gift them to my son.

Best regards,

Dave

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2021, 04:09 pm »
I've had speakers that were over 30 years old and still going strong.

At some point drivers will wear out. Usually the surrounds degrade first, depending on the material. If replacement drivers aren't available, most of them can be rebuilt. I've had mid-woofers rebuilt with new cones and surrounds and they worked like new.

I wouldn't be worried in the least about the Pedistales.

EdwardT

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2021, 12:16 pm »
I’ve only had speakers with foam surrounds fail from old age, cloth surrounds last for many, many years. I guessed that ozone broke down the foam over time but it was repairable and the speaker worked just fine after the surround was replaced. As with all things man made, if you can keep your speakers out of direct sunlight and in a climate controlled environment the gear should outlive you. I still listen to ADS speakers from the 70s in my not-climate-controlled shop and while they are not GR caliber they still work and sound ok.

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2021, 03:33 pm »
I bought a new pair of ADS L1290 in 1986.  Some years ago I gave them to a friend who uses them daily and they are still working fine. 👍

User456101

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2021, 06:10 pm »
I bought a new pair of ADS L1290 in 1986.  Some years ago I gave them to a friend who uses them daily and they are still working fine. 👍
Small world. I bought a pair of ads l1290s about the same time in Melbourne Florida. Sold them 20 years ago  but always wished I hadn’t.

Jack the cat

• At the gates of delirium
« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2021, 06:46 pm »
I have a bought-new-in-1978 pair of acoustic suspension speakers that have dual 1" dome tweeters and dual 10" woofers with neoprene surrounds still being used in one of my systems with no issues.

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2021, 06:48 pm »
Small world. I bought a pair of ads l1290s about the same time in Melbourne Florida. Sold them 20 years ago  but always wished I hadn’t.

Yep, great speakers.  :thumb:

I kept them over 25 years before I had any desire to replace them.  :)

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2021, 07:13 pm »
Usually its the surround of the driver that makes that determination. My Dynaco A25XLs are from 1974. Still like brand new.

Mr645

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2021, 08:52 pm »
I bought a pair of Vandersteen in 1999, used.  Still going today. I did repair one driver, one of the 6" midranges developed a separation between the cone and the surround. I glued it back together

SET Man

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2021, 09:55 pm »
Hey!

All depend on the materials the driver made from. Most speakers from the 80's and 90's with foam surrounds are likely to rotted out years ago. Also, where speaker are use also effect the life of the driver, like exposure to the sun... not good for paper cones and also any type of surrounds for that matters.

But in general drivers can last decades as proven by some of the posts here. My 6" Fostex FE167E drivers with paper cones and rubberized cloth surround I think are now 19 years old  still work fine and the surround still look fine and supple. I did treated the paper cones with thin coats of damar vanish though.

Buddy

jonbee

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2021, 10:38 pm »
The surround material is the most important. Rubberized cloth can easily last 50 or more years, neoprene as long. Foam is the worst, but not too difficult to replace every 15 years or so.
Another factor is ferrofluid in tweeters. It can change viscosity due to heat and harden, killing the tweeter. They can be rebuilt, too, with some success.
'lytic caps are another story.
I've been getting some late '70s B&Os, such as S75, M70, etc. for non-'phile family and friends that have neoprene surrounds and higher quality electrolytic caps and they can sound quite acceptable, for very little $. ADS is another (L1590 is my fave), although they used ferrofluid in some tweeters. Over 40 years old, and I'm sure they're good for another 20.