How to treat an 85 " TV

Longandstraight

How to treat an 85 " TV
« on: 17 Feb 2021, 05:39 pm »
I have an 85" Sony 900 H in between my speakers. I want to build something to cover it for serious listening sessions. I know the sound is going behind it and making a mess also. I was thinking 12x12 panels glued together with maybe a sheet for a protective liner. I could wrap the tv and extend the edges  the 6 inches or so the Tv hangs of the wall.
Sound silly or like it may be an inexpensive fix?.
Thanks for the input

TomS

Re: How to treat an 85 " TV
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2021, 05:47 pm »

I put these 2 RPG panels up in front of my 65", just resting on top of the cabinet. They are very effective - light, stable, and easy to remove and put back.

JTF

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2021, 06:09 pm »
I did the same thing, I built a panel that sits in front of the tv.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2021, 09:00 pm »
I use a colorful Mexican blanket

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2021, 09:06 pm »

But Wayne, the stripes are 90 degrees off! :lol:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2021, 09:13 pm »
in my system, you will see barn door rollers that I attached Real Traps panels to slide in or slide out. You could ceiling mount this.

Or make a custom passive like JTF did for way less engineering. :duh:

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2021, 09:22 pm »
I made a panel out of the acoustic stuff I have on the walls.  But frankly, I never use it.  I just do not hear many of the things that fellow audiphiles say affect the sound.  Guess I just am not the subtle type.

veloceleste

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2021, 04:02 pm »

« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2023, 05:56 pm by veloceleste »

dpatters

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2021, 06:56 pm »

I used to hang PI Audio Group diffusers over the tv. Was a pain to be quite honest and I didn’t feel the improvement in sound was worth it. Life’s full of compromises.

Don P

Longandstraight

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2021, 03:59 am »
Thanks for the replies. I reached out to a few pros and they basically said to try to pull the speakers out in front of the display as far as possible and not worry. I am up almost 3 ft from the front of the speaker to the display  I will try a comforter first. But maybe not such I big deal.

jk@home

« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2021, 10:29 am »
We had power blinds installed in our master bedroom for the two large windows in there. Expensive as heck, but man are they so cool, just push a button to open or close them. There is probably some blind material out there you could use that isn't reflective, you could hang it over the tv and with a push of a remote, instant room treatment.

artur9

« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2021, 04:44 pm »
I made a panel out of the acoustic stuff I have on the walls.  But frankly, I never use it.  I just do not hear many of the things that fellow audiphiles say affect the sound.  Guess I just am not the subtle type.

The biggest effect I think is reducing/eliminating soundstaging.  Some say soundstaging is illusory anyway (I disagree).  Or precision imaging.

For now, I have separate systems.  The thing that really bugs me is not having dialog come from the TV so I used 2 centers.  That is also an atrocity according to some :-D

tamcongdinh

« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2021, 06:47 am »

It's nice idea, I do the same way at my home

Digi-G

« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2021, 01:55 pm »
I must be one of those people that can't hear the issue.  OR, I have my TV back far enough (8" from the wall) and speakers into the room far enough  (36"+) that it's not an issue.

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2021, 04:04 pm »
Here is an idea I saw on Houzz.com

Not my house

mick wolfe

« Reply #15 on: 20 Apr 2021, 05:38 pm »

This is my solution. But as someone has already mentioned, not sure I hear an immense difference with or without  :scratch:
I like the solution Wayne found in Houzz.com, but that's way above my pay grade :nono:

emailtim

« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2021, 07:36 am »
in my system, you will see barn door rollers that I attached Real Traps panels to slide in or slide out. You could ceiling mount this.

Or make a custom passive like JTF did for way less engineering. :duh:

I like the barn door roller idea.  Could easily swap out absorption or diffusion panels.

Looks like there are a few DIY hardware ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiORuP3nlM4