Mod Potential?

nature boy

Re: Mod Potential?
« Reply #80 on: 17 Dec 2020, 09:15 am »

displayname

« Reply #81 on: 17 Dec 2020, 01:46 pm »
Here's a link to the TAS article on the CXN V2.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/cambridge-audio-cxn-v2-network-audio-streamer-and-cxa81-integrated-amplifier

NB

Thanks, that was a good read. I think it answers a lot of questions I've seen around the dacs in the CA integrated amps too.

I was a little surprised to see such a desire for MQA inclusion. I've never lived with MQA, but heard it many times in other systems and it's never done anything too special for me.
All in all a very positive review though. I think a lot of people will end up hung up on his comments about the pairings and frequency peaks unfortunately, but then again if the Modwright mod fixes those peaks without taking away anything else, that could further validate this mod.

plakey

« Reply #82 on: 27 Dec 2020, 09:52 pm »
I’m really considering ordering one of these! I’m debating this or a Teac NT-505. How do I decide  :duh: :? :|

nature boy

« Reply #83 on: 28 Dec 2020, 09:59 am »
P,

If you want a multitude of upsampling and filtering options then the TEAC is for you. If you want the best user experience (ease of use), Swiss army knife-like flexibility, and the option for Modwright tube modification then the Cambridge.

The stock units are pretty close in SQ. The modified Cambridge SQ is just exceptional. FWIW, I replaced a modified TEAC NT-503 with the Modwright modified Cambridge CXN V2.

NB

plakey

« Reply #84 on: 29 Dec 2020, 01:13 am »
Thank you for the insight. Darko has a nice review of the Cambridge as well. I'm still trying to decide! Pros and cons on both sides. I think I might buy both and do a shoot out! Return one at the end of 30 days.

displayname

« Reply #85 on: 27 Jan 2021, 01:19 am »
Tidal Connect has finally arrived for the CXN and other Cambridge streamers. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but confirmed it is showing up on the device. If you're like me and mostly using Tidal, this is a potential game changer!

morganc

« Reply #86 on: 24 Feb 2021, 04:15 pm »
I have a few questions:
1. Can you use this unit with an external DAC?
2. Are most of the mods done on the streaming side or the Dac side of the unit or both? 
3.  Any more user/owner feedback?

I’m running an Auralic Aries mini into a Audio Mirror Troubador Se Dac and curious what this unit might add.

Thanks in advance.

modwright

« Reply #87 on: 24 Feb 2021, 04:23 pm »
The mods are intended to improve it as a streamer/DAC, i.e. standalone digital solution. It can be used with an external DAC, but our mods would not benefit it.

It is an amazingly flexible unit with Roon, Tidal, Spotify connectivity and just about any other way to connect to local or network storage and plays all high-rez formats (not sure about MQA).

My goal was to make it a fantastic all-in-one solution for about $2500, in a world in which digital is simply changing very fast. There is no need for a dedicated server, as you can use a NAS, locally connected HD or connect to any network via WiFi, Chromecast, ethernet, etc. It is also a fully capable Roon endpoint.

Thanks,

Dan

morganc

« Reply #88 on: 24 Feb 2021, 04:29 pm »
Thanks Dan.  One more question. How does this sonically compare to your Elyse DAC?  Just trying to get an idea of the sonic signature.
Thanks

modwright

« Reply #89 on: 24 Feb 2021, 04:35 pm »
The Elyse DAC is a bit better, albeit at $7K, but the Elyse DAC does not have DSD capability nor the ability to interface with any of the new hi-rez formats and networking like the Cambridge CXN.

Thanks,

Dan

displayname

« Reply #90 on: 24 Feb 2021, 08:15 pm »
I have a few questions:
1. Can you use this unit with an external DAC?
2. Are most of the mods done on the streaming side or the Dac side of the unit or both? 
3.  Any more user/owner feedback?

I’m running an Auralic Aries mini into a Audio Mirror Troubador Se Dac and curious what this unit might add.

Thanks in advance.
It would be really great to hear comparisons of an Aries Mini + Troubadour SE vs the Modwright CXN.
Both streaming elements are highly reviewed and praised.
Both have a true tube stage.
Both options come in near the $3K mark. (Modwright CXN has the advantage here)

Obviously not exactly the same with a lot of design differences. But they are comparable and it would be really interesting to hear these separates vs the compact Modwright CXN.

senna1a

« Reply #91 on: 11 Mar 2021, 12:22 am »
Alright. I’m ready for an upgrade. My CXN shipped out for mods this morning.

displayname

« Reply #92 on: 11 Mar 2021, 05:54 am »
Alright. I’m ready for an upgrade. My CXN shipped out for mods this morning.
I'm excited to hear another review!
Did you already own your CXN, or is a new unit shipping straight to MWI?

senna1a

« Reply #93 on: 11 Mar 2021, 02:52 pm »
I’ve owned my CXN since last may. It is a great all around streamer. I had been feeding it into a separate DAC to open the soundstage and provide better depth. I’ve since sold the DAC and this all in one solution appears to be what I need. I’ll be sure to provide my thoughts once all complete.

modwright

« Reply #94 on: 11 Mar 2021, 04:13 pm »
Thanks, you will be pleased!

Dan

nature boy

« Reply #95 on: 11 Mar 2021, 04:56 pm »
Dan is being modest. You'll be AMAZED!!!

NB

modwright

« Reply #96 on: 11 Mar 2021, 06:43 pm »
Thanks!

senna1a

« Reply #97 on: 11 Mar 2021, 07:25 pm »
I’m sure I will be more than pleased. Now what would be amazing is if You include one of those fantastic ceramic mugs you’ve been crafting.  :lol:

modwright

« Reply #98 on: 11 Mar 2021, 10:54 pm »
I'm sure that could be done  :D. Just let me know what your color preferences are.

I appreciate your business.

Dan W.

senna1a

« Reply #99 on: 11 Mar 2021, 11:37 pm »
I am joking on the free coffee cup. I do want to pick one up (and pay for your hard work), so I will share separately on that front.