Can you stream Apple Music to sPlayer?

phoward

Can you stream Apple Music to sPlayer?
« on: 17 Jan 2022, 09:56 pm »
Love Roon, and am doing a 3 month trial of Apple Music.

I can select splayer from iPad using AirPlay, but no sound.
Do I need to  configure sPlayer  differently?
Saw the instructions for using iTunes, but using iOS - not Mac.

Thanks in advance!
 :D

jsalk

Re: Can you stream Apple Music to sPlayer?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2022, 03:01 pm »
Love Roon, and am doing a 3 month trial of Apple Music.

I can select splayer from iPad using AirPlay, but no sound.
Do I need to  configure sPlayer  differently?
Saw the instructions for using iTunes, but using iOS - not Mac.

Thanks in advance!
 :D

I don't happen to have an iPad here at the shop right now to test.  But I played Spotify on my iPhone using airplay directed to my StreamPlayer just now.  At first, it didn't seem to work.  Then I swiped up and noticed that the volume level for the splayer in airplay was set low.  Once I raised it to 100%, all worked fine.  I don't know if that is the issue you were having, but you might check it out.

- Jim

phoward

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2022, 12:09 am »
Thanks Jim - i'll give that a shot!

Saturn94

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2022, 05:27 am »
My spouse successfully uses an iPad mini to stream Apple Music to our Salkstream III via AirPlay, so it should work fine.

Good catch about checking the volume control on the iPad.  Hopefully, it’s as simple as that.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2022, 12:35 pm »
If  nothing else works, try this (Mac)

https://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

maplemusic

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2022, 04:50 pm »
I read somewhere on the interwebs that airplay streaming with roon is limited to CD quality and not
 high res.
On the splayer side, I only see spdif/optical output. Is there a way to have splayer output through HDMI if the downstre5device is capable of taking HDMI?

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2022, 06:50 pm »
I read somewhere on the interwebs that airplay streaming with roon is limited to CD quality and not
 high res.
On the splayer side, I only see spdif/optical output. Is there a way to have splayer output through HDMI if the downstre5device is capable of taking HDMI?

Yes.  In Roon Audio Settings, you should be able to enable an HDMI output and choose the enabled output for your audio device.  This should work although I've never used it this way.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2022, 07:38 pm »
Yes.  In Roon Audio Settings, you should be able to enable an HDMI output and choose the enabled output for your audio device.  This should work although I've never used it this way.

- Jim

Yep!  HDMI out of my Salkstream III works great, including for multichannel music!  :thumb:

maplemusic

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2022, 01:41 am »
Thanks Jim and Saturn,

It worked like a charm. Not to open one more thread on a similar ask... I guess this worked because the streamer has a connection to the AVR with HDMI. If I want to stream Roon to another AVR in a different room, do I need to have the Roon  bridge like a rasberry pi with ropiee if I want to avoid airplay?  I am currently able to stream to the other room with airplay fine though.

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2022, 02:24 am »
… If I want to stream Roon to another AVR in a different room, do I need to have the Roon  bridge like a rasberry pi with ropiee if I want to avoid airplay?…

I believe that is correct assuming the other AVR isn’t “Roon Ready”.

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2022, 02:45 pm »
Thanks Jim and Saturn,

It worked like a charm. Not to open one more thread on a similar ask... I guess this worked because the streamer has a connection to the AVR with HDMI. If I want to stream Roon to another AVR in a different room, do I need to have the Roon  bridge like a rasberry pi with ropiee if I want to avoid airplay?  I am currently able to stream to the other room with airplay fine though.

Yes, you would need a Roon bridge of some kind to stream to another device in most cases.

- Jim