Is a center channel needed?

WGH

Re: Is a center channel needed?
« Reply #20 on: 9 Dec 2020, 10:08 pm »
No matter how hard I try I can't hear any sound actually  coming from my speaker.  Its weird

I disconnected  my center yesterday decided to save money for a better reciever.

Perfect.

Although I was wonder if you ever changed the speaker layout in the menu from phantom center (4.2) to surround with center speaker (5.2). Unless you change to 5.2 the center would never have sound. If still no center sound in 5.2 then you have a bad connection somewhere and everything would sound really weird. Yea, stay with 4.2.

Toecutter

« Reply #21 on: 9 Dec 2020, 10:23 pm »
Perfect.

Although I was wonder if you ever changed the speaker layout in the menu from phantom center (4.2) to surround with center speaker (5.2). Unless you change to 5.2 the center would never have sound. If still no center sound in 5.2 then you have a bad connection somewhere and everything would sound really weird. Yea, stay with 4.2.
I turned off the center in my avr settings.  Its 4.2 now .

Woodsea

« Reply #22 on: 10 Dec 2020, 11:10 am »
Which receiver are you using?  It sounds like it is not working properly at all.  While timbre matching will be difficult, it shouldn't matter too much since your critical listening will be in stereo mode anyway.  Unless of course you are listening to multi-channel music.
Good luck

Toecutter

« Reply #23 on: 10 Dec 2020, 02:56 pm »
Which receiver are you using?  It sounds like it is not working properly at all.  While timbre matching will be difficult, it shouldn't matter too much since your critical listening will be in stereo mode anyway.  Unless of course you are listening to multi-channel music.
Good luck

I use 2 channel stereo for music and surround mode for television.  Its plays in either dolby plus or dolby digital depending  on what im watching.
Its an entry level onkyo 5.2  avr . Sucks a month ago I missed out in a marantz 5008 for 200 bucks on Craigslist  I hesitated and someone  else got it.

Woodsea

« Reply #24 on: 10 Dec 2020, 03:17 pm »
I have the Sony DN1080 that I picked up on Craigslist.  The gentleman didn't know how to set it up, so I picked it for a song.  He had unpacked it and then packed it back up again.  It has enough power for my tiny room and for my previous medium sized room.  Need to dampen the bass a bit (Cinderblock walls). 
Marantz are nice, I would like to get an Anthem 720, or the equivelent in a few years when we leave Brussels.  HDMI 2.1 will be very relevant in the next 5 years.  Lots of Bandwidth.  But, the feature is costly for such a small amount of material out there. 
$200 should be the sweet spot right now for a good 7.2.1 receiver without HDMI 2.1.   

Toecutter

« Reply #25 on: 10 Dec 2020, 03:27 pm »
I have the Sony DN1080 that I picked up on Craigslist.  The gentleman didn't know how to set it up, so I picked it for a song.  He had unpacked it and then packed it back up again.  It has enough power for my tiny room and for my previous medium sized room.  Need to dampen the bass a bit (Cinderblock walls). 
Marantz are nice, I would like to get an Anthem 720, or the equivelent in a few years when we leave Brussels.  HDMI 2.1 will be very relevant in the next 5 years.  Lots of Bandwidth.  But, the feature is costly for such a small amount of material out there. 
$200 should be the sweet spot right now for a good 7.2.1 receiver without HDMI 2.1.

Haha thats exactly  how I got my onkyo  guy lived in a small NYC apartment  . Bought the avr on Amazon didn't realize  how big it was. Packed it back up and forgot about it . I bought it on Craigslist  for 90 bucks new in the box.