W-Defender constantly updating everyday

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
W-Defender constantly updating everyday
« on: 16 Dec 2022, 10:59 am »
Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.377.1007.0)
Iam having this update above supposedly from W-Defender daily sometimes twice a day for about 4 months now. Last week it was W-10 version 22H2 that MS installed under the hood without my permission, but now this KB2267602 keeps again installing some new version of W-10 without my permission in parcels.

Iam worried it might be some shit like W-11, Palladium or TPM.
Any advice ?

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: W-Defender constantly updating everyday
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2022, 06:59 pm »
Turn it off! 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2022, 07:11 pm »
It not safe due the perils of Internet.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2022, 08:46 pm »
It not safe due the perils of Internet.

Thats what an antivirus program is for.

You might see if you can uninstall and reinstall it.

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2022, 08:57 pm »
There are Defender updates most everyday and it's normal as new virus' appear almost everyday.  To upgrade to 11 you have to chose it and your machine has to be capable.  It won't update to 11 on it's own. The periodic 10 updates are normal too.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2022, 09:05 pm »
Does Windows Update History have any clues why KB2267602 fails to install properly?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=failed+install+KB2267602

You can download the update and try to manually install.

Security intelligence updates for Microsoft Defender Antivirus and other Microsoft antimalware
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates

TPM is a physical object, it can't be downloaded yet, although quantum entanglement may make it possible in the future
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/explorers-of-quantum-entanglement-win-2022-nobel-prize-in-physics1/

If the TPM chip is turned off on the motherboard then it has to be turned on through the BIOS or a firmware update. The last two computers I build 1-1/2 years ago had TPM turned off by default. Without TPM Windows 11 won't install although it may be waiting in the wings waiting for you to click "Install Now".

zoom25

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2022, 10:08 pm »
I've been using an Intel Nuc with Windows 10 for the past 3+ years and I've always had those KB security updates show up about 2 times a day from since I had the device with W10. The other big updates come every few weeks/months and those require a restart. These KB ones take a few second to complete. No issues here.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2022, 03:02 am »
Just power on the PC today, here is it again:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2022, 03:16 am »
This 602 update no even appear in the Defender historic, its a fully undercover update.

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2022, 03:29 am »
The version number of the latest update is bigger, from 1.377.1007.0 to 1.381.556.0

The latest security intelligence update is:

Version: 1.381.556.0
    Engine Version: 1.1.19900.2
    Platform Version: 4.18.2211.5
    Released: 12/16/2022 10:42:30 PM

More info here including who, what, where and why:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=KB2267602+version+1.381.556.0

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2022, 04:03 am »
There are Defender updates most everyday and it's normal as new virus' appear almost everyday.  To upgrade to 11 you have to chose it and your machine has to be capable.  It won't update to 11 on it's own. The periodic 10 updates are normal too.
I said it before in the W11 thread>
I dont recommend anyone to install W11 unless he is out of his mind or are 100% business computer, W11 is fully based on DRM or Digital Rights Management, It will control all your PC resources and all the activities you do on your PC such as the number of times you can watch a video, listen to music, open an installed program, open a PDF file, open an image, view a photo etc all based on DRM.

The TPM will not allow you to install a program without a valid certificate or an expired certificate. This TPM hardware is a chip that has been placed in every PC since 2006 dormant and now in W11 this inactive chip will be activated.

On W11 only TPM can communicate with CPU, HD, RAM memory, peripherals, led monitors etc etc... the TPM also will manage the certificates of the websites your internet browser visits via https to not allow you surf the internet on ''unsafe'' sites and TPM may also block your PC or Server or your hard drive if it is considered ''unsafe'', as is already done with any smartphone and still there is IPv6 to find you.

They already tried do the DRM/TPM thing in the past, it was called Palladium software, initially it appeared in Windows Vista and was removed due protests from users and the Microsoft community, now in W11 it came back renamed to TPM and is built into the motherboard hardware as a chip.
The TPM chip has been installed silently on all motherboards since 2006 if I remember well.

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2022, 05:03 am »
They dont say what this update/version do or why it repeats continuously.

I certainly hope you are installing the updates as they appear or like the bell noise when a new car's seat belt isn't buckled, it never stops nagging.

The last 2 updates was probably a little house cleaning   :dunno:

1.381.539.0 released today, 12/16/2022 at 1:48:18 PM did it's job. Microsoft is now protecting you from 70 or more new threats with just 1 update.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions/antimalware-definition-release-notes?requestVersion=1.381.539.0

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2022, 05:32 am »
I dont know if Iam on date with the MS schedule but have just checked now and there is no more updates awaiting to install.