AVA HumDinger DC Blocker Available Now! $140

cmvinyl22

Re: AVA HumDinger DC Blocker Available Now! $140
« Reply #100 on: 10 Mar 2020, 10:21 pm »
I have a HumDinger on order and should arrive soon.  Hoping it will help with some hum issues I have.  It's possible my issues are not DC related but I am hoping this will do it.

Lkdog

« Reply #101 on: 20 Oct 2020, 09:23 pm »
Question-

Am getting a pair of these to try on my Odyssey Kismets which are picking up some random DC noise once in a while.
Got two of them as the Ksimets have oversized 850VA transformers.

I am assuming that I can either do:

A) Wall>Humdinger>Monoblocks
or
B) Surge protector>Humdinger>Monoblocks

Do the Humdingers work the same either way??

« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2020, 11:40 pm by Lkdog »

Randy

« Reply #102 on: 20 Oct 2020, 10:18 pm »
I have one I don't need anymore. Will sell for half off retail.

It has been sold.
« Last Edit: 8 Nov 2020, 01:03 am by Randy »

uncola

« Reply #103 on: 21 Oct 2020, 09:18 pm »
lkdog correct you can put the dc blocker in between your surge protector and the amps.  My kismet in khartago monos have never picked up dc noise that I can tell.. bulletproof amps really.  I think mine have the older 600 or 650VA transformers not the new 850VA ones..  I did pick up a dc blocker for my folsom 7297 amp but it wasn't dc noise it turns out the hammond ei transformer was just naturally noisy :(

Lkdog

« Reply #104 on: 25 Oct 2020, 05:56 pm »
OK, Update for those interested or who might have a similar issue in their AC line.

I got a pair of AVA Humdingers. They have two receptacles in them so I tried one to begin with.
I was not sure if they would get hot, or stressed with both the Kismets plugged in.
The one is running cool and I have been running music and video for a couple days so no worries there.

So far so good after two days............... :popcorn:   

Will let you know if that changes, but usually I would hear an episode of DC hum even if just for a little bit every day or every other day.
And if you were wondering- no impact on sound.

avahifi

« Reply #105 on: 25 Oct 2020, 09:57 pm »
I am glad that our amazing little Humdinger solved another hum problem.

Note that Humdingers are built into all our big power amplifiers at no extra cost.

Frank
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2020, 08:14 pm by avahifi »

Lkdog

« Reply #106 on: 31 Oct 2020, 06:00 am »
Well, it has been a week.
No DC hum.

This product works great.  :thumb:

Gyosa

« Reply #107 on: 26 Nov 2020, 06:35 pm »

Frank ,
Which “big” amps would those be ?

SET 400 ?

Thanks

Bk

I am glad that our amazing little Humdinger solved another hum problem.

Note that Humdingers are built into all our big power amplifiers at no extra cost.

Frank

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
« Reply #108 on: 26 Nov 2020, 07:08 pm »
Any power amp in a big chassis with a push button on/off switch will have a built in Humdinger.  This includes the SET400, FetValve 400 and 600, DVA SET600 monoblocks, and DVA 850 hybrid monoblocks.  All older amps with the red rocker style on/off switch do not have a built in humdinger.

Dan

WarmColors

« Reply #109 on: 29 Apr 2021, 04:29 pm »
Hi all,

Can these still be made custom? Or what is being offered the only option?

Really interested on my setup. I have an Strato Odyssey amp.

avahifi

« Reply #110 on: 29 Apr 2021, 06:18 pm »
There are no custom HumDingers, just the good old standard one at $140.00

Note that a HumDinger should be used after any other line conditioner, not ahead of one in the AC line. Some line conditioners have unusual input impedances that can cause the HumDinger to overheat.

Frank

WarmColors

« Reply #111 on: 29 Apr 2021, 06:40 pm »
Thank you for the quick response,

No power conditioners, i would just connect it to the wall and my amp.
I believe my PS audio DAC has a toroidal transformer? Do you think it would be safe to connect that too?

Dan

avahifi

« Reply #112 on: 29 Apr 2021, 07:23 pm »
Toroid power transformers are the ones most likely to hum from low level DC on the AC power line that the HumDinger is designed to block.

So of course the HumDinger works just fine with other equipment with toroid power transformers.  This is what it is designed to do.

Frank

eichlerera1

« Reply #113 on: 30 Apr 2021, 03:35 am »
What is the maximum steady-state current a HumDinger can handle?

OldSchool1948

« Reply #114 on: 30 Apr 2021, 01:10 pm »
My PS Audio BHK 250 amp has a slight hum.  I ordered the HumDinger; it should arrive tomorrow.  Fingers crossed.  :D

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
« Reply #115 on: 30 Apr 2021, 11:27 pm »
>>What is the maximum steady-state current a HumDinger can handle?

The recommended fuse is 10 amps, but the internal circuitry is rated for much more.  The case is used as a heat sink to remove heat from the internal circuitry, so as long as the box is not getting hot you should be ok.  Up to and including when the home circuit breaker pops.

Dan

WarmColors

« Reply #116 on: 5 May 2021, 09:54 pm »

I purchased a Stratos extreme that I recently received from Klaus. Will the humdinger be able to power my subwoofer (rhythmic subwoofer, GR Research) and my amp without blowing the fuse? It sounds like your powering both of your mono blocks on one humdinger?

I just received mine today, everything seems to be working fine! No noise from the amp it self. (though I did not really have any issues, I just want that extra protection or peace of mind. Eventually I will get a power surge protector.) I am using another power cable that is a lot beefier than what it originally came with.

OK, Update for those interested or who might have a similar issue in their AC line.

I got a pair of AVA Humdingers. They have two receptacles in them so I tried one to begin with.
I was not sure if they would get hot, or stressed with both the Kismets plugged in.
The one is running cool and I have been running music and video for a couple days so no worries there.

Will let you know if that changes, but usually I would hear an episode of DC hum even if just for a little bit every day or every other day.

WarmColors

« Reply #117 on: 5 May 2021, 09:55 pm »

I purchased a Stratos extreme that I recently received from Klaus. Will the humdinger be able to power my subwoofer (rhythmic subwoofer, GR Research) and my amp without blowing the fuse? It sounds like your powering both of your mono blocks on one humdinger?

I just received mine today, everything seems to be working fine! No noise from the amp it self. (though I did not really have any issues, I just want that extra protection or peace of mind. Eventually I will get a power surge protector.) I am using another power cable that is a lot beefier than what it originally came with.