DAC/Streamers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
DAC/Streamers
« on: 28 Jun 2019, 11:02 am »
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to know how many of you have a combination DAC/Streamer (as opposed to a separate unit for each)?

The Bryston BDA-3 is a DAC only of course and the BDP-3 is a digital player and streamer currently in our lineup.

james

Rupret

Re: DAC/Streamers
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2019, 11:49 am »
I do ... Lumin S1

Pundamilia

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2019, 01:53 pm »
I have separates: BDA-3 and BDP-2.

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2019, 02:17 pm »
My Marantz 7702 processor will operate as both a dac and a streamer (plus do a bunch of other stuff).

DACs: TI PCM 1690 (24-bit/192kHz)

ngamountains

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2019, 02:18 pm »
Separates - BDA-3 & Sonore Signature Rendu SE

beeah

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2019, 02:42 pm »
Answering a different question, but while such a combination appeals to me my natural inclination is to anticipate some compromise on the streamer, the DAC, or both in an effort to keep cost down.
One might argue that sharing a chassis and power supply is a compromise in and of itself due to the possibility of various types of interference.
FWIW, I am a very happy owner of a BDA-1/BDP-1 combo.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2019, 03:00 pm »
Thanks for the followup to my thread elsewhere on AC.

I'm looking for family friendliness, getting away from computers, and willing to give up some SQ.

bjski

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2019, 03:04 pm »
BDP-3 & BDA-3, second system BDP-3 & BDA-2

witchdoctor

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2019, 03:20 pm »
Thanks for the followup to my thread elsewhere on AC.

I'm looking for family friendliness, getting away from computers, and willing to give up some SQ.

The BEST upgrade I did in the last 2 years was whole house audio via DTS-Play Fi ecosystem. They have dac/streamers ranging from $30 for a Klipsh Gate to $2000 for a Mcintosh MB 50. Couldn't be more family fun and if you shop you will find major deals. You can run your whole house from your phone.

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2019, 03:55 pm »
Still shopping for either.  Was using a laptop with USB to spdif converter to some older dacs and found the solution less than ideal.

The "mid-fi" streamers didn't give me confidence in their DAC or DAC implementation.  Most streamers also lacked the inputs/outputs to use the DAC or streamer as independent units.  I want to be able to use the DAC with CD transports or other sources, and send the streamer output to other DACs.

Calypte

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2019, 04:56 pm »
I have a BDP-pi and an Emotiva XDA-2 Gen II DAC.  If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably buy a combined DAC/streamer.  There is a particular product from another manufacturer that I probably should have considered more carefully.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2019, 06:20 pm »
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to know how many of you have a combination DAC/Streamer (as opposed to a separate unit for each)?

The Bryston BDA-3 is a DAC only of course and the BDP-3 is a digital player and streamer currently in our lineup.

james

Sorry, james, no combo. Just separates here. Brystons.

bobf

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jun 2019, 08:28 pm »
Hi Folks,

james
[/quot
Separate DAC (Chord) and streamer (BDP3). No interest in one piece.

bacmsl

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2019, 09:52 am »
I have a BDA-1 and use my laptop, but looking at upgrading to something like a Simaudio  390 or a one box peice

docder

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2019, 12:07 pm »
I have a BDP-3 which goes to,

1, Naim ND 555 [DAC/streamer],
2, Chord HMS [upscaler]/Chord TT2[DAC].

D

pdkm

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2019, 02:14 pm »
I *had* a single unit until a month ago for streaming Roon and DAC: PS Audio Directstream Jr. Pretty convenient to have stream/dac/pre all in one unit.

john1970

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jun 2019, 03:56 am »
I have both in the same system.  The separate units are the BDA3 + BDP3 and the combo unit is a SimAudio 280D.  I prefer the sound of the Bryston units, but the Qobuz interface for the SimAudio is easier to use.  Moreover, the SimAudio has additional optical inputs that I can use with my Roku and TV.

Best,

John

R. Daneel

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jun 2019, 11:19 am »
Hi James!

It would make more sense to make a digital player with a built-in DAC, a combination of BDP and BDA in a single chassis. Consumers who need only a DAC, even if they'll be a minority, will still opt for a BDA but consumers who want a streamer certainly WOULD prefer a single unit rather than two. This new product would outsell the current BDP, I am certain of that.

That said, keep in mind you'd be entering a hot marketplace. From a consumer standpoint, the choics are vast and it is almost impossible to make "the best" one.

Of all the products I'd like to see (a headphone amplifier ina BDP-Pie form-factor), for me, this would not be one of those products.

Hopw this is useful.
Cheers,
Antun

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #18 on: 30 Jun 2019, 12:35 pm »
BDA & BDP :thumb:

...and the dac-card of the BP17³ still deserves an usb input (with DSD)! can't understand why it should be impossible for Bryston to do it :scratch:. makes me think that it could be more a marketing feature that should be kept out of reach?? maybe it could stop customers to buy a BDA-3 then...???

al.

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #19 on: 30 Jun 2019, 08:06 pm »
alex,

In another thread a while back, James Tanner spoke of a new Preamp, based on the 17cubed and the BDA-3. Maybe this new preamp will have many of the capabilities of the BDA-3.