Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Spyman

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #920 on: 13 Jun 2015, 02:15 pm »
Hi Terry,

You can always find the latest versions of our manuals on our technical downloads page

http://bryston.com/pages/technical.html

The manic moose manual can be found here, but i'm not sure when it was last updated

http://bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/BDP-2_MM_Manual.pdf

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks, Chris!

MoPac

« Reply #921 on: 16 Jun 2015, 10:31 pm »
 Just want to thank Chris for fixing the "Playlist Delete" issue.  Bryston, by far, has the best service I have ever encountered.  :thumb: 

Thanks again, Rich

Marius

« Reply #922 on: 17 Jun 2015, 07:03 am »
HI Chris,

As of version S2.15 2015-06-13 MM shows a DB crash. Anything to worry about? Or any recommended action to take?

Also, updating seems a bit fickle. When clicking the red files' +-sign, the + and  'update' /clear/consume doesn't light up blue in the browser on the Mac. The + does light up blue on the MM iphone interface. Only command that does update the DB is a full update.

My network attached drive doesn't update at all, not through the files interface in MM, nor through the update command in the NAS-menu or the full update command.

Do you have a hint as to what to check?
thanks,
Cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2015, 12:47 pm by Marius »

Docere

« Reply #923 on: 19 Jun 2015, 08:53 am »
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but here goes...

I am almost ready purchase a new BDP-2 - my finger is poised to confirm the EFT... It is clear that the BDP-2 is some fine hardware and that Bryston's customer service is exemplary. However, my experience with software releases (unrelated to Bryston!) and the various issues raised in forums and ezines have me a touch nervous regarding the user interface/ "control point". For the $ involved I'd really like my player to be an enjoyable user experience and robust. Oh, I'd also like it to be robust! Does Manic Moose achieve this - I have seen a few issues raised - and if it does not suit, does MPad make for a solid, user-friendly control point?

If this is not the right place to post, please direct me!

Cheers!

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #924 on: 19 Jun 2015, 12:16 pm »
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but here goes...

I am almost ready purchase a new BDP-2 - my finger is poised to confirm the EFT... It is clear that the BDP-2 is some fine hardware and that Bryston's customer service is exemplary. However, my experience with software releases (unrelated to Bryston!) and the various issues raised in forums and ezines have me a touch nervous regarding the user interface/ "control point". For the $ involved I'd really like my player to be an enjoyable user experience and robust. Oh, I'd also like it to be robust! Does Manic Moose achieve this - I have seen a few issues raised - and if it does not suit, does MPad make for a solid, user-friendly control point?

If this is not the right place to post, please direct me!

Cheers!

Docere, I work for Bryston, so take my feedback for what it's worth. We try not to write bugs into our software, but sometimes we just can't help ourselves. I think the same goes for just about every other company out there as well. I use the Manic Moose web interface almost exclusively on my android phone, iPad, and desktop computer. It's way more mature than it was a year ago. The issues that are left are largely some incomplete tertiary features and a few minor annoyances that you may or may not even notice. One of the nice parts of the BDP over other systems that require proprietary control software is that if you don't like our interface, there are plenty of third party ones to choose from. The core functionality of the BDP is rock solid.

If you're new to file based playback, you're going to have a learning curve with any system. If you're not new to file based playback, but coming from another brand universe, I think you'll probably adapt pretty quickly to ours. When you do find bugs, report them here. There's a pretty high chance it'll get fixed in a near-term firmware update. We're averaging about 3 a month if you count the beta channel releases. I suspect that makes the Bryston the most well maintained system of any major brand.

If you're buying a used player, don't pay more for it than you think you can get on the used market if you hate it (not likely). If you're buying a new player from an authorized dealer. make sure your dealer knows how to use it and can coach you. Of course, Bryston and we on the forums are available to help too.

Nobody here is willing to tolerate crap useability even if it means having the best sounding player out there. I think you'll like the BDP. I absolutely love mine.

-Gary

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #925 on: 19 Jun 2015, 03:24 pm »
HI Chris,

As of version S2.15 2015-06-13 MM shows a DB crash. Anything to worry about? Or any recommended action to take?

Also, updating seems a bit fickle. When clicking the red files' +-sign, the + and  'update' /clear/consume doesn't light up blue in the browser on the Mac. The + does light up blue on the MM iphone interface. Only command that does update the DB is a full update.

My network attached drive doesn't update at all, not through the files interface in MM, nor through the update command in the NAS-menu or the full update command.

Do you have a hint as to what to check?
thanks,
Cheers,
Marius

Try the newer beta, or stable release later today

Docere

« Reply #926 on: 19 Jun 2015, 09:47 pm »
Docere, I work for Bryston, so take my feedback for what it's worth. We try not to write bugs into our software, but sometimes we just can't help ourselves. I think the same goes for just about every other company out there as well. I use the Manic Moose web interface almost exclusively on my android phone, iPad, and desktop computer. It's way more mature than it was a year ago. The issues that are left are largely some incomplete tertiary features and a few minor annoyances that you may or may not even notice. One of the nice parts of the BDP over other systems that require proprietary control software is that if you don't like our interface, there are plenty of third party ones to choose from. The core functionality of the BDP is rock solid.

If you're new to file based playback, you're going to have a learning curve with any system. If you're not new to file based playback, but coming from another brand universe, I think you'll probably adapt pretty quickly to ours. When you do find bugs, report them here. There's a pretty high chance it'll get fixed in a near-term firmware update. We're averaging about 3 a month if you count the beta channel releases. I suspect that makes the Bryston the most well maintained system of any major brand.

If you're buying a used player, don't pay more for it than you think you can get on the used market if you hate it (not likely). If you're buying a new player from an authorized dealer. make sure your dealer knows how to use it and can coach you. Of course, Bryston and we on the forums are available to help too.

Nobody here is willing to tolerate crap useability even if it means having the best sounding player out there. I think you'll like the BDP. I absolutely love mine.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Gary - much appreciated. Perhaps I simply needed and slight push...

As someone who works closely with application developers in an enterprise data environment, I hear what you are saying regarding development defects. What you say about the core functionality being solid and that the web interface is now mature but still undergoing continued development gives me more confidence... not that it was really in doubt, but it is helpful to see it stated sometimes.

I will be purchasing the player new with the IAD board. The distributor and dealer seem to know the product well and should be able to help out if needed.

Your comments regarding crap useability reflect my own thoughts - the user experience makes or breaks these types of products. It sounds like Bryston has this well in hand.

Thanks again Gary.

Cheers.

Marius

« Reply #927 on: 20 Jun 2015, 08:19 am »
Hi Chris, thanks,
i'm using S2.16 2015-06-17. Updating the #beta shows this as the latest beta?

Marius

Try the newer beta, or stable release later today

ttsto

« Reply #928 on: 20 Jun 2015, 08:41 pm »
Hi

New firmware indicates some incompatibilities with BDP1. This means we (owners of BDP1) should not proceed with this update?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #929 on: 20 Jun 2015, 08:44 pm »
Hi

New firmware indicates some incompatibilities with BDP1. This means we (owners of BDP1) should not proceed with this update?

HI

BDP-1 is fine to update - just do not use MPD 19, MPD 17 and 18 are fine. 

james

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #930 on: 21 Jun 2015, 06:18 pm »
I am on the most recent build of Manic Moose 2015-06-19 and I am finding my BDP-2 to suddenly stop playing. The front panel controls are non responsive when this occurs. Rebooting either takes for ever and I am encountering the following on the front panel: Error 9 R03.0 2012-11-27 187. In this state I cannot connect to the BDP-2. Any ideas?

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #931 on: 21 Jun 2015, 07:08 pm »
The problem I reported above keeps repeating. When I finally get the unit booted, I can listen for a while and then the BDP-2 suddenly stops (mid-song or when switching to a new track). The front panel becomes non responsive and I have access to it via my LAN. Something must be corrupted in the firmware? If the unit is left on playing nothing it will also randomly freeze necessitating a reboot (or two or three).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #932 on: 21 Jun 2015, 07:59 pm »
The problem I reported above keeps repeating. When I finally get the unit booted, I can listen for a while and then the BDP-2 suddenly stops (mid-song or when switching to a new track). The front panel becomes non responsive and I have access to it via my LAN. Something must be corrupted in the firmware? If the unit is left on playing nothing it will also randomly freeze necessitating a reboot (or two or three).

Hi Ned

I will alert Chris for you - you may have to put it in service mode.

james

Marius

« Reply #933 on: 23 Jun 2015, 04:13 pm »
Hi Chris
Only now did I discover one can touch (click on) the cover of album being played ( on the MM iPhone interface). Not sure what's supposed to happen, but it seems to reload the cover.

Made me think and ask whether it would be possible to have both the cover and back of an album displayed, touch and toggle .

As someone who tries to keep his library complete with album art I'd certainly welcome the possibility.

Thanks,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #934 on: 24 Jun 2015, 01:04 am »
Hi Chris
Only now did I discover one can touch (click on) the cover of album being played ( on the MM iPhone interface). Not sure what's supposed to happen, but it seems to reload the cover.

Made me think and ask whether it would be possible to have both the cover and back of an album displayed, touch and toggle .

As someone who tries to keep his library complete with album art I'd certainly welcome the possibility.

Thanks,
Marius

Do you have a preferred file name to use?

Marius

« Reply #935 on: 24 Jun 2015, 06:17 am »
Do you have a preferred file name to use?

Hi Chris,

I always use cover.jpg and back.jpg.

Cheers
Marius

Rod_S

« Reply #936 on: 24 Jun 2015, 12:15 pm »
Hi Chris

Thanks,
Marius

That would be a cool option.

MoPac

« Reply #937 on: 24 Jun 2015, 02:23 pm »
S2.16 2015-06-19    Chrome on XP
Chris:
 Playlists delete OK with the exception of playlists that have a numerical name i.e. "88-24".  They drag to the center and turn red, but remain in the list after that function.  :scratch:

Thanks, Rich

Marius

« Reply #938 on: 25 Jun 2015, 08:14 am »
HI Chris,

Thanks for the latest beta update, back.jpg is showing on MM iphone! great. (though i cant get it to show on MM desktop :scratch:)

On the other hand, on MM iphone, the playlist won't show, while on desktop it is acting as expected. Is there a setting to change, or have i encountered a bug.

Cheers Marius

Marius

« Reply #939 on: 25 Jun 2015, 01:24 pm »
Hi Chris,

Been wanting to ask this for sometime, but forgot: when a playlist is cleared, the album art of the last track remains visible, no matter what i do. Clear the cache, reload the page, the image stays.
It must be the BDP because even when i fire-up another browser, without any browsing history, the image shows.

Also, with no track loaded or being played, twice a triple -1 is in view. Nothing to start a war over, but still, looks a bit silly really.

Hope you can/will iron out these little flaws.

Cheers,
Marius