Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1020 on: 11 Aug 2015, 10:53 am »
Excellent. Here's some additional input. I am running the latest BETA (S2.17 2015-08-06) and now all of my tracks within an album sort like this:

1, 10, 11, ... 19, 2, 3, ... N

If you have more than 20 tracks in an album, it looks like:

1, 10, ... 19, 2, 20, 21... 29, 3, ... M

The tracks display this way and actually play back in this order. This is a new issue from this build.

No changes to the album art missing from folders named with spacial characters (I assume this is still in-progress).

HI

That is strange

Here are samples of mine at home:

I will let Chris comment but it must be your ripping program?  Which one are you using?

james

Marius

« Reply #1021 on: 11 Aug 2015, 12:35 pm »
Hi,

An issue that was there from the very beginning/development of the BDP in fact. On some recordings/rips. check for example this Chandos Thumbdrive of all Elgar vocal scores. I this case The Apostles. To see the real order look at the Finder screenshot.

Ive run into this on several occasions, most of the time it can be solved by numbering 01, 02, 03 instead of 1, 2 3.

Trying filenames over tag date in options might help on occasion. Not here:

This seems to be a tagging issue i cant resolve either way. Check what the BDP makes of it...

MPOD/Mpad don't behave without issues either....

Because i only now realized i hadn't changed the files names like stated above (01,02,03,04 etc) i changed them accordingly today. An even stranger result: the meaningless track titles in the playlist, and all in wrong order  :scratch:

must be the original tagging i suppose. Anyone here to know how to change that? (obviously the files in this folder belonged to 2 separate cd's joined into one folder by Chandos. Ill try to separate them again, playlist order might faal into place then)

Cheers, Marius

« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2015, 08:09 pm by Marius »

Krutsch

« Reply #1022 on: 11 Aug 2015, 02:05 pm »
HI

That is strange

I will let Chris comment but it must be your ripping program?  Which one are you using?

james

It's not my ripping program, which is XLD or iTunes, depending on how old the music is. And, to reiterate, I first noticed this with the latest build.

I looked at the Media Player settings, to verify that I have not selected "Use Files Names Over Tag Data":

Then, I navigated to Grateful Dead within the Artists View, and verified that the Bryston DB shows the correct song data (it does):

Then, I clicked on the Play Arrow to load the album; it loads and plays back in the correct order, as seen below:

Finally, I cleared the queue and navigated to the same Album Artists using the Default View and loaded the same album:

...notice that Truckin' (which is track 10 is now track #2, as in: 1, 10, 2, 3, ... N).

The default view is giving priority to the filename for sorting, as opposed to the track's meta data.

Thanks,

Ken

Krutsch

« Reply #1023 on: 11 Aug 2015, 02:09 pm »
One more item of note: see this image:

See if you folks can adjust the spacing between the track numbering and the track title. The spacing algorithm falls apart as soon as you reach double-digit track numbers (again, see 10/10Truckin;)

Thanks,

Ken

Krutsch

« Reply #1024 on: 11 Aug 2015, 02:17 pm »
As long as I am taking the time to be a Bryston test engineer  :thumb:

See the image below:

...wouldn't it be nice if "The Beatles" entry was indexed under 'B' instead of 'T'?

Just a thought...

Ken

Krutsch

« Reply #1025 on: 11 Aug 2015, 02:25 pm »
One more entry. This illustrates the special character issue I've mentioned before. See the Artists View:

...this is very typical for a classical title, in that the album name contains special characters (in this case, both accented letters and the hashtag as part of the symphony number). Every album I have with special characters in the physical folder name exhibits this problem: no art work. If I rename the folder to remove the hashtag, and rebuild everything, artwork appears.

Here's what this album's folder name looks like on the filesystem on the BDP-1:

Just posting as a reminder...

Ken

mv

« Reply #1026 on: 12 Aug 2015, 01:00 am »
Also, another quick concern:

The BDP-2 gives an error if rebootted with USB thumb drives inserted.
However, the BDP-1 had no problems in such cases.
Can this be fixed, so that the BDP-2 can also reboot without the need for users to
remove the USB thumb drives, and then re-insert them each time?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1027 on: 12 Aug 2015, 01:30 am »
Also, another quick concern:

The BDP-2 gives an error if rebootted with USB thumb drives inserted.
However, the BDP-1 had no problems in such cases.
Can this be fixed, so that the BDP-2 can also reboot without the need for users to
remove the USB thumb drives, and then re-insert them each time?

Hi MV

I do not seem to have that issue - when you say error what do you mean - it will not start?

james

mv

« Reply #1028 on: 12 Aug 2015, 01:36 am »
Hi MV

I do not seem to have that issue - when you say error what do you mean - it will not start?

james

It starts, but then I get an error message after the initialization:

Error 09

both of the above in the right side of the display, and the following the lower left corner:

R03.0 2012-11-27

It is impossible to use the unit after that.
I have to turn it off, remove all the USB thumb drives, and restart.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1029 on: 12 Aug 2015, 01:47 am »
It starts, but then I get an error message after the initialization:

Error 09

both of the above in the right side of the display, and the following the lower left corner:

R03.0 2012-11-27

It is impossible to use the unit after that.
I have to turn it off, remove all the USB thumb drives, and restart.

Do you have an internal drive installed as well?

james

mv

« Reply #1030 on: 12 Aug 2015, 02:02 am »
Do you have an internal drive installed as well?

james

No, I do not.

drummermitchell

« Reply #1031 on: 12 Aug 2015, 02:07 am »
I remember the dreaded 09 code,the main board or whatever went ,it had to go back to Bryston for a new one.
It always happens when you wanna get down with your tunes :(.

Marius

« Reply #1032 on: 12 Aug 2015, 08:40 am »
HI Chris, All,

Adding to the discussion above on track title display and order, please check this:
Choosing file names over track data does change the file title display in the current song, but not in the Playlist, which seems to display the tag data in both settings.

Chris, could you change that please, or is it a setting we can adjust in MM,

Cheers,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #1033 on: 12 Aug 2015, 01:40 pm »
I have high hopes for Roon Server which will de-couple UI development from media player development, while elegantly integrating your local library with your TIDAL subscription. Kind of like Spotify Connect, but for your personal collection of music, as well as TIDAL.

If you haven't played around with Roon, you should look at it - it's a real step forward in music library management (no, I don't work for Roon).

I really, really, hope the folks at Bryston are looking into this, because building a digital player appliance is something Bryston is very good at; leave the user interface software to someone that makes it their core competency and primary focus.

afblaster

« Reply #1034 on: 12 Aug 2015, 05:29 pm »
Hear, hear, I couldn't agree more!! I've been saying this ever since I had an early BDP-1.

I now have a BDP-2 and have abandoned attempts to come to terms with Bryston's Media Player and mPad; I now use the BDP as a renderer with Squeezelite service enabled,
and stream Flac music files from Daphile (Logitech Media Server) running on a NAS.
This works very well, without any of the frustrations you are experiencing.
But I agree with you that Roon Server appears to be the biz.

Krutsch

« Reply #1035 on: 12 Aug 2015, 05:52 pm »
Hear, hear, I couldn't agree more!! I've been saying this ever since I had an early BDP-1.

I now have a BDP-2 and have abandoned attempts to come to terms with Bryston's Media Player and mPad; I now use the BDP as a renderer with Squeezelite service enabled, and stream Flac music files from Daphile (Logitech Media Server) running on a NAS.

Serious question: do you think it sounds as good? FWIW, I experimented with the Shairplay and the DLNA client (GMediaRender?) and came to the conclusion that the sound quality wasn't on-par with MPD playback. But, I know my mind plays tricks on me with respect to expectation bias (and, it's not possible to do a blind test, as GMediaRender takes-over the sound card - you can't quickly flip back and forth).

Have you experienced anything like this or have an opinion?

- Ken

Marius

« Reply #1036 on: 12 Aug 2015, 07:20 pm »

I now have a BDP-2 and have abandoned attempts to come to terms with Bryston's Media Player and mPad; I now use the BDP as a renderer with Squeezelite service enabled,
and stream Flac music files from Daphile (Logitech Media Server) running on a NAS.

Hi,

Very interesting, is any Logitech hardware required for Daphile? Or
Would it be possible to install on a Nas and communicate with the Bdp directly.
Thanks
Marius

afblaster

« Reply #1037 on: 12 Aug 2015, 09:07 pm »
Hi Ken,

Yes I think it is as good, however I've not tried Shairplay or DLNA because pre the BDP-1 I was using Daphile and a Squeezebox Touch to stream my music, and the BDP replaced the Touch.

I have 'isolated' the BDP-2 from the network by using a fibre optic ethernet link to connect it to my network, and use batteries to power the fibre converters.

I've listened to the BDP-2 (fitted with an internal SSD) using Media Player and I could not detect any difference in sound quality when compared with using it as a squeezebox player.

Benefits are that album art is displayed much more reliably, Daphile's web page is clear and easy to use, and the apps for Apple and Android devices are all much better than mPad.
I would not go back to using Media Player or mPad which I think are 'clumsy' in comparison.

Some years ago I made the point both to Bryston and their agents in the UK, PMC - this product requires properly sorted and reliable apps for iOS and Android devices, which all of its competitors provide as an essential part of their products.

Your comment "I really, really, hope the folks at Bryston are looking into this, because building a digital player appliance is something Bryston is very good at; leave the user interface software to someone that makes it their core competency and primary focus" sums up the situation very well.

Regards, Richard

afblaster

« Reply #1038 on: 12 Aug 2015, 10:21 pm »
Hi Marius,

Daphile doesn't require Logitech hardware.  It is a dedicated linux program which I run on an HP Proliant Miniserver housing a 2Tb HD for the Daphile software and my music files.
Daphile doesn't need a NAS, a dedicated PC on the network would serve just as well.  Once installed and running Daphile recognizes any device running Squeezelite on the network, and you can then stream your music to that device.  For example I stream to the BDP-2, also to my Touch and my Android 'phone and a Raspberry Pi.  You can operate it from its web page or from apps on your iOS or android devices.  It is an dedicated version of Logitech Media Server (LMS),  - which can be run as a program on Windows, Linux or Apple PCs.
There is a Slim Devices Squeezebox forum and Wiki if you need more information.
If Chris hadn't incorporated Squeezelite as a service, and with it the possibility of using the BDP-2 as a renderer, I would have given up on it.
Fortunately he did and I'm very happy streaming to it.

Regards, Richard

mv

« Reply #1039 on: 12 Aug 2015, 10:31 pm »
I remember the dreaded 09 code,the main board or whatever went ,it had to go back to Bryston for a new one.
It always happens when you wanna get down with your tunes :(.

James,

So, then I have to send my BDP-2 to you for repair.

(I just bought it in early July, encountered this problem on the first day when I received it,
and actually emailed you about it.)