"Miss Beautiful Spine"

Eric Strasen

• Midwest S-16
"Miss Beautiful Spine"
« on: 22 Jun 2014, 12:50 pm »
As evidenced by this 1956 Chiropractic pageant, some people will enter ANY contest, including one requiring them to pose with their X-rays. These gals must be well into their 70's by now, but thanks to the internet (which wasn't even around in 1956) their spines are immortalized forever.

Goosepond

• Virna!
Re: "Miss Beautiful Spine"
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2014, 01:29 pm »
Wow! Imagine that. In 1956 the world was getting along (sorta) w/o the Internet. And me, too!  :thumb:

Gene

Eric Strasen

• Midwest S-16
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2014, 03:39 pm »
When I first ran across this, I suspected some sort of spoof. A quick Google search shows it's on the level, however. Some chiropractic association, apparently in search of licensing for its members, ran these contests for several years in the 50's and 60's. An alternate title for the winner was "Miss Correct Posture."
There's a site with a whole bunch of photos from this contest, so if one doesn't mind the lack of the usual beauty contest bikini but really gets turned on by X-rays, this would be the site for you.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2014, 03:56 pm »
I wonder how many of those contestants acquired cancer because of un-necessary X-rays.

Doc

Eric Strasen

• Midwest S-16
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2014, 04:24 pm »
Probably a good number of the contestants would have traded potential ill-effects from the X-rays for the brief moments of "fame" (certainly not Andy Warhol's 15 minutes) associated with these contests.
During the 1950's, where I spent my callow youth, my rapidly growing feet necessitated frequent trips to the local shoe store. On each visit, I dutifully stuck my feet into the foot X-ray machine to be sure of a correct fit. These devices have since been banned. Fortunately my toes haven't dropped off yet.
The 1950's were innocent years, for the most part. Most of us were unaware of the dangers of radiation. After all, our teachers told us all we would have to do in case of nuclear attach is duck under our flimsy wood desks and everything would be OK.