Linear Power Supplies

beowulf

Linear Power Supplies
« on: 12 Sep 2014, 01:41 am »
Hi Dave and all, I know it's not a ZenWave item (yet LOL), but this is a great forum for all things engineering and was wondering if you have you ever tried using Linear Power Supplies with any great effect?  I was thinking that what might be cool was a US made LPSU that could also separate USB Data and Power.  I have had some people on the Decware forums say that LPSU are a game changer and these are some cheap Chinese stuff that they got off eBay ... but I've never heard one.  I do have an Asus VivoPC that I use with JRiver MC 20 and stream from a WD My Cloud NAS.  I imagine that an LPSU ciould benefit both the power requirements of my PC and NAS, but also filter USB signals into my DAC.

Just throwing that out there if you're feeling creative Dave! :lol:

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: Linear Power Supplies
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2014, 02:13 am »
I'll chime in here, as I am likely one of the only ones around here that use linear supplies on my router and NAS.

Short answer, I would not be without them after hearing the difference on these 2 items.

Further: Dynamics became startling vs the stock supplies that came with them. Everything improved, bass slam, image focus, depth, height, tone, vividness, delineation, contrasts from soft to loud, 3D, etc... Night and day difference, and I believe it has to do with speed and power delivery vs. the stock supplies.

However, I am using all Paul Hynes linear supplies. These are great linear supplies and there really is nothing else like them for digital stuff. Trying some of the other offerings out there, and you will likely be better off with just the stock supplies. That's the reality of it. Just because it is linear vs a switch mode supply doesn't mean it will be better. It has to be a good supply, nonetheless.

I need to talk Dave at PI Audio into letting me try his battery solutions as I hear wonderful things about them. There are likely other great battery solutions as well, but I have no experience using any of them.

Filter USB? The Totaldac USB Cable/Filter does an exceptional job of that, and is the USB Cable to beat IMO.

beowulf

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2014, 05:10 am »
I'll chime in here, as I am likely one of the only ones around here that use linear supplies on my router and NAS.

Short answer, I would not be without them after hearing the difference on these 2 items.

Further: Dynamics became startling vs the stock supplies that came with them. Everything improved, bass slam, image focus, depth, height, tone, vividness, delineation, contrasts from soft to loud, 3D, etc... Night and day difference, and I believe it has to do with speed and power delivery vs. the stock supplies.

However, I am using all Paul Hynes linear supplies. These are great linear supplies and there really is nothing else like them for digital stuff. Trying some of the other offerings out there, and you will likely be better off with just the stock supplies. That's the reality of it. Just because it is linear vs a switch mode supply doesn't mean it will be better. It has to be a good supply, nonetheless.

I need to talk Dave at PI Audio into letting me try his battery solutions as I hear wonderful things about them. There are likely other great battery solutions as well, but I have no experience using any of them.

Filter USB? The Totaldac USB Cable/Filter does an exceptional job of that, and is the USB Cable to beat IMO.

Hi Paul, thanks for chiming in.  From what you said and what I heard from others this seems to be a great bang for the buck tweak/upgrade.  I have  a PC, Switch, and NAS that I'm sure would benefit from something like this.  It would be great if there was a modular design where someone could add up to 4 components for one box LPSU.

What I meant about the USB was something like the iFi iUSB device.  I was thinking it would be a 2 birds with one stone if something like an LPSU and USB PS could be in a one box design.  Since (if you think about it) this would be the power foundation for PC/Mac based music servers (a) PC/Mac via USB (b) Switch/Router, and (c) NAS.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2014, 08:05 am »
Might want to check out the Nuge's circle (Empirical Audio). He just started production of such a device using Hynes tech called the Power Block. Should be interesting if you need powered USB to your DAC, as well as filtering/isolation.

Problem with Multi Rail Supplies is it would have to be a custom job, as everybody has different voltage needs, but surely is possible. Hynes offers multi rail supplies as custom order, but I don't know if he would do the USB Power with it. Just inquire.

I'd be tempted to get a Hynes multi rail supply and one of Steve's new Power Block's if I was taking your approach. Pricey, but will likely be the best result your going to get.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2014, 01:17 pm »
Hi beowulf, I tried several PS for a small digital amp I have and preferred a linear supply, but beyond that I don't have much experience and absolutely no plans to offer power supplies. I'm booked with projects for the next couple years at least.  :green:   I also tried batteries, and added both electrolytic and film caps, but the linear supply was still better. I think, like most things, implementation is most important as there are examples of good PS of all kinds, but cheap smps should be avoided for sure.

On the USB power supply, I think ifi, Schiit and Empirical  have that area covered. One reason I like my Sony HAP-Z1ES music server is that a computer and USB cable are not part of the source, it makes for less to buy and less to worry about. I find simplicity leads to lower costs and better sound. :D

paul79, thanks for your posts  :thumb:

beowulf

« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2014, 03:29 am »
Thanks guys for the feedback, greatly appreciated!

xsb7244

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2014, 06:51 pm »

xsb7244

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2014, 07:02 pm »

beowulf

« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2014, 08:24 am »
@ xsb7244 ~ thanks for the links I will check them out ... in the mean time that looks to be a serious piece of hardware. :thumb:

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #9 on: 30 Sep 2014, 02:47 pm »
I've used linear supplies for years (mostly Astrons, 12VDC in the 30-50A range) with ham radio equipment because of noise issues on the lower bands. Longwave reception especially is sensitive to any extraneous noise, as it's mostly a game of getting the best S/N possible, and the "S" part is hampered by the antenna size.

Never thought about them for retrofitting existing audio gear, but I guess, why not...

xsb7244

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2014, 07:38 pm »
beowulf,

Here is a review of the UpTone JS-2 linear power supply.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/javascript-2-power-supply-installed-21122/

beowulf

« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2014, 11:24 pm »
beowulf,

Here is a review of the UpTone JS-2 linear power supply.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/javascript-2-power-supply-installed-21122/

Thanks for posstin that, that looks like a top notch product!  That is over my budget though for now.  I do think I will get something down the line after the new year though.  I have been looking at a Taiwanise company called KECES.  Have you heard of them?  The price is pretty good at $350 with shipping.