Golden Gate 2 at Positive Feedback

bmoura

Golden Gate 2 at Positive Feedback
« on: 17 Sep 2017, 07:13 am »
Some initial comments on the Golden Gate 2 with DSD512 from David Robinson at Positive Feedback.....

"Since time was limited, and the new LampizatOr Golden Gate 2 8x DSD DAC with its RCA-only output was in place in our reference near-field desktop system (details by clicking my byline name at the top of this article), and since I was in the middle of careful listening evaluations for my Positive Feedback DSD Sampler, Volume 2 project for NativeDSD.com, I put the UIT PMP RCA's in place between the GG 2 and the PASS Labs i250 integrated amp. This in turn fed a pair of Evolution Acoustics MMMicro One loudspeakers on Wave Kinetics Isolation Feet via Skogrand Beethoven Reference Speaker Cables. The configuration is a rough equilateral triangle for listening, presenting very detailed listening.

Before putting the UIT PMP's into place, however, I put them on our Cable Cooker for 2.5 days to condition them, as recommended by CC's Alan Kafton. Several days of general music followed, to let them bloom.

The LampizatOr Golden Gate 2, a truly superb 8x DSD DAC, used during the evaluation of tracks for the new Positive Feedback DSD Sampler, Volume 2. The UIT PMP's were the output cables during the completion of this project. (Photograph and image processing by David W. Robinson)

Once that was done, I was able to spend the next several weeks using the UIT PMP's while I did my track selections for NativeDSD.com. This involved listening to albums in Single, Double, and Quad DSD in near-field, a very demanding task. A cable that couldn't meet my minimum requirements would have simply irritated me, and it would have been sacked. I don't have time for mediocrity when I'm in the midst of a task like this one.

In the event, I wasn't tempted to pull the UIT PMP's while working. That in itself was a real sign of confidence, since I found the new cables to be quite respectable in their performance after they bloomed. In short, I found them to be quite detailed, with a generally fine tonal balance. There was no sense of grain, and none of smearing, and a pleasant lack of coloration throughout. Imaging and soundstaging was solid; harmonics were well integrated. They were certainly up to the job of helping me evaluate the DSD recordings."

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/brief-impressions-uit-perfect-music-purifier-series-rca-cables/