Active Crossovers

blueixus

Active Crossovers
« on: 15 Feb 2003, 12:05 pm »
I have just recieved some active crossovers I asked David White to build for me.

They are being used with Naim SBLs. Naim make an active crossover for this speaker and I have to say they comprehensively outperform Naims very expensive product.

Active systems are relatively rare but are a much better option that passive bi amped systems, where both amps handle the full signal ahead of the crossover, rather than splitting the sound ahead of the amps.

I have long felt that speaker manufactures comprimise their products with cross overs which muddy the sound.

If you thinking of a very cost effective upgrade this is a fantastic option. It is relatively easy process to remove the crossover from a speaker (you will be surprised at how the internal cabling of speakers is often of very poor quality cable - The inside of a Quad 11l is shocking cheap!)

Many thanks to david for this excellent product.

NealH

Active Crossovers
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2003, 09:28 pm »
Passive crossovers can also be "line level", in which case the benefits of bi-amping still apply (amplifiers direct to speaker drivers).  The line level crossover is inserted between the preamp and power amp.  The jury is still out on which of these methods (active or line level passive) is the preferred approach from a sonic standpoint.  

The line level passive approach benefits from the fact that the crossover is working into the stable and high-ish input impedance of the power amplifier and, no additional active circuitry is involved that could contaminate the signal.  The chosen components that make up the line level passive crossover can be smaller, less expensive and be equal or better quality than the larger speaker level crossover components that are working into 4 or 8 ohms.      

The active approach benefits from the ability to better and more easily define the individual filter characteristics, such as the filter type, slope, transient response, passband ripple, phase & group delay, etc., with readily available components.  When properly designed and implemented for a given speaker the results can be startlingly good.   But too often active crossovers employ the simper filter types employing op-amps and the usual mid-fi componentry.  So some of the theoretical benefits of the active crossover are compromised (a bit more noise, somewhat limited dynamic range, some electronic signature on the sound, etc.).  

Today we also have outboard digital crossovers and equalizers, i.e. Behringer, XTA and BSS units.  These loudspeaker management devices are competitively priced and offer quite a bit of promise for the engineer or hobbyist.  One can use this equipment to obtain the very best crossover characteristics for a given loudspeaker then, either continue using it as the active crossover or, build an equivalent line level passive crossover that employs the optimum filter characteristics derived from experimentation.  Or, even build a minimalist active crossover with the derived optimum characteristics.  

Anyway to get back on subject, being a minimalist, I tend to think the line level passive approach has the edge unless a lot of effort and diligence goes into the circuitry design of the active crossover.

Luis MC

Active Crossovers
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2003, 09:18 pm »
Quote from: rnhood
Passive crossovers can also be "line level", in which case the benefits of bi-amping still apply (amplifiers direct to speaker drivers).  The line level crossover is inserted between the preamp and power amp.  The jury is still out on which of these methods (active or line level passive) is the preferred approach from a sonic standpoint.  

The line level passive approach benefits from the fact that the crossover is working into the stable and high-ish input impedance of the power amplifier and, no additi ...

Hi rnhood,

It seems to me that designing a proper passive crossover line level is very hard work. I'm considering output and input impedances of preamp and amp, it is very easy to overload the preamp with a very low input impedance of passive crossover (I often run a tube preamp in my system with some high output impedance).

Have you any idea ?

Regards,
     Luis

davidw

• http://www.wnaudio.com
Active Crossovers
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2003, 08:34 pm »
Passive crossovers are ok for use with valve amplifiers because, in the main, their inputs are high impedance ( 1M )and essentially resistive. This is not the case with solid state amplifiers when the input impedance is relatively low ( 4.7-47k ) and usually has a significant capacitative component ( the input filter ). At high frequencies therefore the input impedance is very low. If you use a passive crossover with solid state amplifiers it usually has to be designed for one specific amplifier because there is no standarisation of input circuitry. In addition you still end up using large and expensive components because of the low input impedance of the amp at hf.
 Designing passive crossovers is not not an exact science and there will always be a large element of suck it and see, particularly with higher order crossovers. This is why low level passive crossovers are extremely uncommon.
 A properly designed active crossover willl drive pretty much any kind of amplifier and will have no more effect on signal quality than a passive crossover.

David