Headphone setup in conjunction with 2ch stereo?

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Headphone setup in conjunction with 2ch stereo?
« on: 3 Feb 2023, 03:33 pm »
So I recently spent a few bucks to get a basic setup for headphones with some Hifiman Sundara and a Schiit Magni+ amp. When I first set it up, I tried the simplest solution of placing it between my dac and integrated amp, but noticed a loss in sound quality when playing 2ch stereo. Not surprising given the $ investment of the headphone amp. I then decided to piggyback the headphone amp from my integrated binding posts through a line level converter. Only downside now is I have to unplug the + speaker cable when I want to listen to headphones. My question is if anyone else is running 2ch and headphones on the same system and how do you have them hooked up, or are you running 2 completely separate systems?

Any info is appreciated.
-Lloyd
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2023, 02:00 pm by nlitworld »

mcgsxr

Re: Headphone setup in conjunction with 2ch stereo?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2023, 06:03 pm »
I have always run completely separate systems for HT, 2 channel and headphone enjoyment.

There are many ways to do it of course, but I found for my own enjoyment and listening habits that separation was in the end better and simpler (if not less $).

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2023, 06:12 pm »
I recently picked up a Linear Tube Ultra linear Integrated amp.   When making the purchase with a eye to downsizing in the near future and I was completely elated as to how it's fitting in my setup.
https://www.lineartubeaudio.com/products/zotl-ultralinear-integrated-amplifier

I viewed this amp as the Swiss Army knife.  It uses all 10 tubes for headphone or speakers with the flip of a switch from speakers to headphones.
I spent a lot of time with the equipment at Pacific Audio Fest this last year.  I did listen with head phones at the show I don't currently own any I can see them in the future if I live with a shared wall residence.

Alan

brooklyn

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2023, 08:31 pm »
I'm using an iMac iTunes into a Schiit Magnius Dac then into my Schiit SYS.. from there, one output to my headphone amp and the other output to my audio system.. It works great but you must keep the volume knob on the SYS all the way up for it to work optimally.. The control button on the SYS will direct the music where you want it to go.. Headphone amp or 2 channel audio system..

newzooreview

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2023, 09:35 pm »
With Roon I can have a DAC for the main system and a DAC for the headphone system.

The Roon computer (on an Intel NUC box) is connected directly to the main system DAC by USB cable.

But anywhere on the home network I can setup a WiFi or ethernet connection to a streaming box to feed another DAC (or DACs).

Right now I am experimenting with an iFi Stream, but I also have used Allo streamers based on Raspberry Pi (which seem to be out of production for now due to supply chain issues).

I have had issues with high resolution (192/24) playback on Raspberry Pi streamers, even connected by gigabit ethernet, but otherwise Ropiee worked smoothly.

I have a Geshelli J2 AKM DAC and E2 balanced headphone amp on order to run from the iFi Stream. Nothing to report since things aren't in place yet.

Jon L

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2023, 09:59 pm »
This is the bane of my existence. 
I do not use a preamp and actively biamp my speakers with two different amps, so  I used to swap a bunch of cables and move my listening seat in order to listen to headphones  :o

Trying to make this more feasible, I now have a DAC with both XLR and RCA outputs, with one going to speaker system and the other going to headphone amp (Schiit Jot R amp for Raal SR1a ribbon headphones).  I don't have to swap any cables and use long XLR cable to reach Schiit near my listening seat  :thumb:

Delta77

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2023, 11:45 pm »
I suppose you placed the HP amp in between because there are no RCA outputs on your integrated, and only one set of RCA/XLR outputs on the DAC.

Maybe a set of RCA - Y splitters would work until you make a decision on the changes you want to make.

I only have the main system setup, the preamp a Decware CSP3, has a built in the HP amp. Only caveat is I need a 12’ HP cable to reach my seating position.

« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2023, 03:00 am by Delta77 »

bozebuttons

« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2023, 07:06 pm »
I have a balanced Lampi Pacific Xlr feeding my 2 Channel system RCA feeding My Eddie current Studio T,so no need to swap cables.
Jays audio CDT3MK3 as a transport for both.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2023, 09:04 pm »
I like the idea of upgrading to a dac with both balanced and rca outs. That would be a decent option down the road. Then I wouldn't have to use up tube lifespan on my integrated amp.

I did think about just diy installing a headphone jack in my integrated, but haven't mustered the motivation to tear it apart again. From what I can tell they're a pretty easy circuit to work into an existing unit. As it sits I already need an 8' headphone cable anyways, so what would another 2-3 feet bother me.

As of right now, my headphone listening is primarily for when my wife falls asleep early and I'm wanting to listen to music later into the night. Given any choice I enjoy speakers more, but that may change with time. Thanks for your input guys!

bozebuttons

Re: Headphone setup in conjunction with 2ch stereo or
« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2023, 03:39 pm »
I would recommend a extension cable instead of a longer headphone cable.Can be used with whatever head phone you use.
I have a Sonic Horizon extension Cable for that purpose. A splitter is also a option for your dac.

spawn350

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2023, 04:40 pm »
The easiest answer is to have a 2 channel amp with a good headphone amp built in. I discovered that my McIntosh MA252 sounds much better with my headphones than headphone centric amps. I was shocked, but it makes for a more streamlined solution stack.

audiobeck57

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2023, 09:56 pm »
Same challenge. How to with a 2-channel.

I've been considering making an acquisition of a Macintosh MB20 "transceiver" sending a Bluetooth signal to the new Focal Bathys. Anyone have any luck with either piece of equipment?

azimuth48

• Stereo Azimuth - YouTube
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2024, 02:43 am »
You need to use some Aux or Tape Out to your headphone amp from your integrated receiver. You’ll get much better SQ than the speaker to line level converters.