could the 'Led ZEPPELIN' really fly again??!!

2bigears

could the 'Led ZEPPELIN' really fly again??!!
« on: 28 Jun 2007, 08:56 am »
i think i heard the boys may stand close enough to play a few shows,one of their sons to play with them.Anyone heard where they will play?? :D
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2007, 09:13 pm by 2bigears »

Gordy

Re: could the Led ZEPLIN really fly again??!!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2007, 09:52 am »
There's been off and on rumors of Jason joining them for years but, who's on first first, er, bass?  Can you post a link?    8)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2007, 02:45 pm »
.......maybe.......story date 6/25/07... :guitar:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2007, 02:56 pm »
I hope they don't.   :evil:  If they tour, my wife will absolutely insist on going.  That will probably set us back at least a grand.   :thumbdown:

boead

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2007, 07:34 pm »
I hope they don't.   :evil:  If they tour, my wife will absolutely insist on going.  That will probably set us back at least a grand.   :thumbdown:
I saw Page and Plant at Jones Beach arena (tiny outdoor theater) on Long Island, NY.

That was good enough for me.

mcullinan

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2007, 08:05 pm »
GREATEST (COVER) BAND EVER?
Denny Somach came in to talk about how Led Zeppelin “borrowed” practically every note of their first record from other artists. Denny said he was the world's leading expert in classic rock and accused Led Zeppelin of “using” other people's songs. Denny said Zeppelin stole from a Joan Baez version of Ann Breeden's “Babe I'm Gonna Leave You,” for their own song also titled “Baby I'm Gonna Leave You.” Howard played both songs and agreed it was a “dead rip-off.” Howard then played a song by Jake Holmes called “Dazed and Confused” that was identical to Zeppelin's version. Jake opened for the Yardbirds when Jimmy Page was in the band, and that's where music historians claim Jimmy first heard the song.

Howard also compared clips of Bert Jansch's “Black Water Side” and Zeppelin's “Black Mountain Side,” and the riffs were the same. Howard then played Eddie Cochran's “Nervous Breakdown” and Zeppelin's “Communication Breakdown,” which were shockingly similar. Denny then asked Howard to play a Spirit song, and everyone immediately recognized the riff from “Stairway to Heaven.” Denny then handed Howard his ticketstub from a Led Zeppelin concert from 30 years ago that they both had attended. Denny said Howard hasn't changed much in 30 years, as he even left the Zeppelin concert early. Howard admitted that he left early, saying he only did so because people were setting off M80s in the theater.

acresm22

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2007, 08:48 pm »
I believe it was Pete Townsend who once said the Led Zeppelin perfected the concept of the 4 piced rock and roll band, and all others were just imitators and pretenders to the thrown. Interesting comment, given your observations about LZ, and especially interesting coming from Pete, who isn't known for his humility. I was watching a documentary recently on the making of Who's Next, and he kept referring to things that he'd written for that album as "brilliant." Okay he's right, it was brilliant, but still...

For true originality in 1970s rock and roll, look no further than Jethro Tull (like my avatar??)  :thumb:

acresm22

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2007, 09:03 pm »
allow me to correct a few typos in that last, hurriedly-typed post:

4-piece rock and roll band
pretenders to the throne

nathanm

Re: could the 'Led ZEPPELIN' really fly again??!!
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2007, 09:42 pm »
You could have edited your other post and no one would've been the wiser, but it's too late now because I replied to it.  Nevertheless, the effort is appreciated.  Now we just have to get people to fix their loose\loses! Ha!  Fat chance...

nathanm

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2007, 09:45 pm »
Isn't there a blues album of Zep covers done in order to get poetic justice on their thieving ways?  I forgot the name of it.

Midnite Mick

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2007, 12:12 am »
I am not a Zep fan but, doesn't every band thieve/emulate, especially in the beginning.  Who cares.  If ya dig it, that's all that matters.

Thanks,
Mike

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2007, 12:18 am »
With due respect to his son, without John Bonham there is no Zeppelin...

AMEN!!!

I have seen Plant and Page, and while it was ok, it didn't "seem" like Led Zep (can't say for sure since I never saw them play).

George

jermmd

caddisgeek

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2007, 03:41 am »
Not sure if there was ever a blues album of Zep covers, but I do remember a band from the early 90's called
'Dread Zepplin' who had an Evis impersonator for a lead singer and did reggae style covers of zep tunes (dread zepplin.... reggae.... get it :lol:) Like Homer said when he and Marge where on the London Eye, "look honey there's big ben, and the tower of london, and look its Jimmy Page, the greatest plunderer of American music in history". Yes, Zepplin were shameless bald faced rip off artists, but my god Led Zep II is a good album

Possibly a new thread, greatest  musical rip offs of all time?