Help - Suitable replacement for Record Research Labs cleaning solution

GregC

I have a VPI HW 16.5 cleaning machine and I have always used Record Research Labs cleaning solution.  I am almost out of the RRL cleaning solution (after more than a decade).  I looked where to buy more and found that it is no longer available. 

I see that "Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab - One Record Cleaning Solution" is available and looks like a similar product.  Is it made by RRL, and if not, has anyone used it with success with their VPI cleaning machine?

Thanks in advance for feedback.

Photon46

For what it's worth, I too used RRL products in the past. For the last few years, I used "L'Art du Sond" cleaner and have found that to work much better than RRL, especially on lp's that need extra deep cleaning attention. I've saved some previously unplayable unplayable lp's with it. It requires a second wash with clean water after the first step but one should really be doing that anyway with any cleaning solution IMO.

twitch54

For the last few years, I used "L'Art du Sond" cleaner and have found that to work much better than RRL, especially on lp's that need extra deep cleaning attention. I've saved some previously unplayable unplayable lp's with it. It requires a second wash with clean water after the first step but one should really be doing that anyway with any cleaning solution IMO.

X2, along with my VPI 16.5 I've added a DeGrittor ultrasonic into the mix.

GregC

Thanks for the suggestions.  In the past I have not done follow up cleaning with distilled water after cleaning a record with RRL (but I probably should).  Most of the time I just use a brush for casual listening, and only clean a record on the VPI when it is particularly dirty or I am recording the album. 

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
For what it's worth, I too used RRL products in the past. For the last few years, I used "L'Art du Sond" cleaner and have found that to work much better than RRL, especially on lp's that need extra deep cleaning attention. I've saved some previously unplayable unplayable lp's with it. It requires a second wash with clean water after the first step but one should really be doing that anyway with any cleaning solution IMO.

I second that... LArt du Son Record Cleaning Fluid

Cheers,
Pete

GregC

I second that... LArt du Son Record Cleaning Fluid

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks Pete, good to get another endorsement.  It is a concentrate so it should go a long ways.

twitch54

Thanks Pete, good to get another endorsement.  It is a concentrate so it should go a long ways.

Greg it most certainly does and along with it this is the water I use ........

https://www.grainger.com/product/Water-Reagent-100-Concentration-49WC15?opr=PDPRRDSP&analytics=dsrrItems_8FV27

GregC

Greg it most certainly does and along with it this is the water I use ........

Thanks, I appreciate the link.