silver or black?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
silver or black?
« on: 7 Aug 2008, 02:16 pm »

james,

what colour is the most wanted by the Bryston customers- silver or black? 8)

alex.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: silver or black?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2008, 02:45 pm »
Depends on the market - In the Far East it is all Silver, in North America about 70% Silver, In Europe about 50/50 and in Home Theater applications about 80% Black.

Overall: 19 inch faceplates about 30% - 17 inch faceplates 70%

james

denjo

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2008, 01:13 am »
James

Very interesting stats!

What intriques me is whether the choice of black or silver is prompted by practical considerations or simply that the person likes the colour, regardless of practicalities. I hail from the Far East and chose the silver over black simply because fingerprints and dust shows up much readily in black than it does in silver. As for the 17" faceplate which I chose, my other audio equipment are of the same "waistline" - in other words, slim! My hifi rack would not be able to accomodate the 19" version.

Just some thoughts!

Best Regards
Dennis

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2008, 02:07 pm »
James

Very interesting stats!

What intriques me is whether the choice of black or silver is prompted by practical considerations or simply that the person likes the colour, regardless of practicalities. I hail from the Far East and chose the silver over black simply because fingerprints and dust shows up much readily in black than it does in silver. As for the 17" faceplate which I chose, my other audio equipment are of the same "waistline" - in other words, slim! My hifi rack would not be able to accomodate the 19" version.

Just some thoughts!

Best Regards
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Yes what I find generally is customers will prefer a specific colour first and then make a decision based on application. 

For instance in a home theater setup if the gear is in the same room as the screen then people tend to prefer Black because it does not reflect the light in the room.

james

klao

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2008, 07:20 pm »
Hi James & all,

I couldn't get to see any good, large enough photo of BCD-1 with 17" faceplate and in silver.  The photos featured in Hi-Fi Choice review is 17" / black right?

Would anyone care to post theirs BCD-1 w/ 17" face in siliver please?

Thanks,
Klao

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2008, 01:29 pm »
17" Silver Bryston BCD-1 and Silver 3B ST

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2008, 04:50 pm »
Close up.

klao

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2008, 05:05 pm »
BCD-1 is a beauty in simplicity.  Looks almost as wide as the 3B, which I belive has got th 19-inch faceplate?  Or it mustbe the perspective thing from wide-angle shot.

Thank you very much, Mag.

pardales

« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2008, 05:23 pm »
How about a good pic (or a link to one) of a black faceplate DAC?

MOZ

« Reply #9 on: 24 Aug 2008, 12:20 pm »

Napalm

« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2011, 09:34 pm »
Depends on the market - In the Far East it is all Silver, in North America about 70% Silver, In Europe about 50/50 and i :green:n Home Theater applications about 80% Black.

Overall: 19 inch faceplates about 30% - 17 inch faceplates 70%

james

You should make some chrome and gold plated ones too. With mirror finish. Instant hit in Asia and America.

Nap.  :green:

ian.ameline

« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2011, 05:26 pm »
Nap, I saw a gold plated one (looked like a 14B or 28B faceplate) in the corner of James' office once.

Me, I prefer black, 19 inch rackmount. (I have the pro rackmount faceplates for all my bryston gear, amp, pre, and dac)

But the silver looks great too.

werd

« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2011, 07:12 pm »
You should make some chrome and gold plated ones too. With mirror finish. Instant hit in Asia and America.

Hey nap

Get off level 1 and get some Prestige

Here is some prestige

Get some prestige !!!!

Napalm

« Reply #13 on: 28 Feb 2011, 07:40 pm »
Werd you have no style. That combo deserves no less than the Dunhill Black Diamond USB key:

BrystonFan

« Reply #14 on: 28 Feb 2011, 11:07 pm »
Yup, I can see that combo in my system!   :)

I like the black...
BCD-1 & SP2 in 17"
9BSST & 4BSST2 in 19"

larevoj

« Reply #15 on: 3 Mar 2011, 06:21 am »
Hey nap

Get off level 1 and get some Prestige

Here is some prestige

Get some prestige !!!!

Hi Werd, is that mouse pads on the BDP?? Interesting...  :)

Napalm

« Reply #16 on: 3 Mar 2011, 12:09 pm »

It's the Werd-Shakti bit stabilizers  :lol:

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:16 pm »
I like either but prefer black in my set-up only because the other components I have are black and also I find silver more distracting when you have components as part of a home theater system.  With the low light the black just seems to disappear better to me

werd

« Reply #18 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:39 pm »

Hi

Yes they are and i use them for protection. Two fit the top of a bcd - bda - bdp perfectly. I am always putting things on my bdp so its protects the surface. It also protects it from drops since my cd's are right behind it and i reach over all the time.

I was using the mousepads under my bda (see pic). Took them out since the i want to stack the bdp/bda and the weight was just destroying the mousepads. They work good under one component. Its just calms the rack.  :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #19 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:43 pm »
Hi

Yes they are

The components will overheat and you'll get congested, shallow soundstage with un-detailed, grainy treble.

Nap.  :lol: