MQA Update - From Soundstage Magazine

Pundamilia

Re: MQA Update - From Soundstage Magazine
« Reply #20 on: 10 Oct 2018, 02:33 pm »
I am no fan of MQA (just another money grab with negligible audible benefit, as far as I can tell), but to be fair, the MQA folks did have a point in that the presenter was ostensibly presenting an "objective" overview of MQA and yet, much of his presentation was unsubstantiated and reflected his opinions. Unfortunately, the audience microphone seemed to disappear halfway through the presentation, making it difficult to hear the questions that he did or did not answer. If one knew nothing about MQA before the presentation, I don't think it was as convincing as it could have been.

My $.02   :|

witchdoctor

« Reply #21 on: 10 Oct 2018, 03:58 pm »
Hey witchdoctor can you pm me re an old post you made regarding the efficacy of using mapleshade footers with your tbi sub. Thanks

My PM doesn't work. The TBI sub is now sitting on an Isoacoustic subwoofer stand with great results. The footers worked too but I changed some thins around.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 19 Oct 2018, 04:13 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSv0lcHlawk

Yah I had to stop watching about half way through, I felt like I was watching a looped video. Its a shame I was really looking forward to hearing Chris's full presentation on MQA, it sounded like he was being very open about what he had intended on presenting.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2018, 05:17 pm by unincognito »

skunark

witchdoctor

« Reply #25 on: 20 Oct 2018, 10:28 am »
Blind test indicates MQA is kinda dead, and stereophile lost the last bit of credibility they had.

MQA is alive and well thank you. Look at all the new vendors adopting the standard. Whether or not you prefer MQA is up to the listener.
I love Bob Carver and have my Bluesound Node wired to a Sunfire TG3 preamp, and a Carver AV 505 amp, It sounds fabulous.
I liked the article James posted by Bob, thank you. I am sure all of these vendors adopting MQA have done due diligence as well and have decided to adopt it. While I respect Bob I think MQA sounds fantatic...through HIS products. I guess he came to a different conclusion as did all of these vendors who afdpoted the tech:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/mqa-announces-new-products-and-partners

My Sunfire TG3 and Carver amp:

Pundamilia

« Reply #26 on: 24 Oct 2018, 07:43 pm »
Here are Archimago's further thoughts on Chris Connaker's MQA presentation at RMAF (yes, the one with several MQA reps in the room):

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/10/musings-on-rmaf-2018-mqa-talk.html

He also discusses the issue of "anonymity" and "credentials"

Just to keep the discussion going!  :scratch:

witchdoctor

« Reply #27 on: 24 Oct 2018, 10:12 pm »
Here are Archimago's further thoughts on Chris Connaker's MQA presentation at RMAF (yes, the one with several MQA reps in the room):

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/10/musings-on-rmaf-2018-mqa-talk.html

He also discusses the issue of "anonymity" and "credentials"

Just to keep the discussion going!  :scratch:

Chris is biased against MQA and bans members from his site that don't oppose it. Only 30 people showed. no surprise there. :lol:

As for Archimego I like his writing style, it's amusing, and he doesn't take himself too seriously at least.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

Pundamilia

« Reply #30 on: 9 Nov 2018, 07:39 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Seems to be a balanced honest review.

If U.K. prices are any indication, non-compressed Qobuz won't be cheap in North America.

Mike-48

« Reply #31 on: 9 Nov 2018, 09:16 pm »
I think what's interesting about Archimago is that he actually measures what's going on, instead of relying on demos put on by manufacturers or entirely trusting his ears.

I have seen no sign of CC's banning anyone from his site because they didn't agree with him on MQA.

Anyone whose presentation has been scheduled last in any conference will have a small audience. I've been there, and I sympathize.

witchdoctor

« Reply #32 on: 13 Nov 2018, 03:47 pm »
If you have time PLEASE check out the Beatles 50th Anniversary release of the White Album in MQA.
I think I can say that Bob Stuart has realized his goal of giving people the experience of hearing the master tape after listening to this remix version in high res/MQA. If you don't like MQA you can buy the 96/24 high res album (around $100) LOL.

https://www.iheart.com/content/2018-09-24-the-beatles-expand-white-album-with-50th-anniversary-release-details/

Krutsch

« Reply #33 on: 13 Nov 2018, 06:11 pm »
If you have time PLEASE check out the Beatles 50th Anniversary release of the White Album in MQA.
I think I can say that Bob Stuart has realized his goal of giving people the experience of hearing the master tape after listening to this remix version in high res/MQA. If you don't like MQA you can buy the 96/24 high res album (around $100) LOL.

https://www.iheart.com/content/2018-09-24-the-beatles-expand-white-album-with-50th-anniversary-release-details/

I did yesterday that on my new streamer w/ full MQA decoding. Wow, I have to admit I was impressed with sound. I can't compare this version with the FLAC hi-res equivalent, because I don't own it. And that is sort-of the point with MQA, in my opinion.

A high-res PCM file MQA-encoded will be about three times smaller than a comparable high-res FLAC file. For downloads, I could say "who cares", as storage is so cheap that it's almost free. But for streaming providers that have to bear the bandwidth cost, and are struggling to make a profit, the savings are real.

Honestly, I've read many of Archimago's blog posts (and I like his writing, as well) and looked at the graphs, as well as the lengthy post/discussion on Computer Audiophile. I just don't care anymore. I suspect that is why Bob Stuart doesn't respond to the endless technical critique and anecdotes, because he is sick of feeling the arrows from technically illiterate posters.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #34 on: 13 Nov 2018, 06:14 pm »
If you have time PLEASE check out the roughly 50,000 comments about the deception called MQA.
I think I can say that Bob Stuart has realized his goal of making more money off people that believe the MQA hoax. Any smart and intelligent person would simply buy the standard resolution version of this album, because it's just not worth the money LOL.

https://youcanyoga.nl/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/head-up-ass.jpg

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #35 on: 13 Nov 2018, 06:16 pm »
because he is sick of feeling the arrows from technically illiterate posters.
Gawd witchdokrutch, you are *positively* hilarious...

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #36 on: 13 Nov 2018, 06:42 pm »

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #37 on: 13 Nov 2018, 07:06 pm »

I just don't care anymore. I suspect that is why Bob Stuart doesn't respond to the endless technical critique and anecdotes, because he is sick of feeling the arrows from technically illiterate posters.

Then why are you posting here?

It's not because BS is "sick...".
Could be because BS knows it's....BS.
[he's probably too busy enjoying all that $$$ from suckers who bought into MQA]

cheers

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #38 on: 13 Nov 2018, 07:38 pm »
Unless I am suddenly transported to a DIFFERENT UNIVERSE...
None of this means anything to me.
I also know anyone who does care finds my point 'useless'. But there is a point to my saying so.
To me, and I would guess plenty of other folks who have never, and will never stream, the whole MQA, and Tidal vs Qobuz is meaningless.
The last link offered by James Tanner read like the Qobuz is better, only a tiny bit better, but still better. Since it is still in the early stages, I would say that is hope for a future without MQA cornering the market. (However the powers that be (who favor MQA) may try to thwart Qobuz via licensing with the studios as a difficulty for Qobuz.
All in all just odd reading for me. Maybe someday I would be interested in it all. Not soon though. (other than adding my 2 cents.)

witchdoctor

« Reply #39 on: 14 Nov 2018, 12:00 am »
Then why are you posting here?

It's not because BS is "sick...".
Could be because BS knows it's....BS.
[he's probably too busy enjoying all that $$$ from suckers who bought into MQA]

cheers

Here is a link to  Amazon, you can join the "suckers" paying $66 for MP3, $94 for vinyl, or $138 for CD. I gots no beef with that if thats how you roll. Why should you care how I buy music?

https://www.amazon.com/Beatles-White-Album-Super-Deluxe/dp/B07HJJPJ4Y/ref=ice_ac_b_dpb?ie=UTF8&qid=1542153291&sr=8-1&keywords=the+beatles+white+album+50+anniversary