To Tape voltage output

stonedeaf

To Tape voltage output
« on: 12 Dec 2018, 04:12 am »
I'm using my BP-25 's "To Tape" outputs as the input into a Analog to Digital converter and have a question. What is the rated output of this pair of jacks -for some reason I think it's probably 1.5V max ? Anybody know ? This is of interest simply because if you overdrive the input to a A2D -what comes out the other end is really nasty.

Mike Pickett

Re: To Tape voltage output
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2018, 02:04 pm »
I'm using my BP-25 's "To Tape" outputs as the input into a Analog to Digital converter and have a question. What is the rated output of this pair of jacks -for some reason I think it's probably 1.5V max ? Anybody know ? This is of interest simply because if you overdrive the input to a A2D -what comes out the other end is really nasty.

Hi;

The Tape Outputs are after the input buffers on the BP25, and are unity gain.  This means that the output level is exactly the same as the level feeding the selected input.  The input buffer will handle very high levels without clipping (around 15V RMS). It's critical to make sure the incoming signal doesn't exceed the maximum that the AD can handle, as there is no way to adjust the tape output level relative to the level of the source component.

Thanks,

Mike

stonedeaf

Re: To Tape voltage output
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2018, 10:43 pm »
Thanks Mike- that does answer the question . I still get the advantage of a clean buffer circuit in the signal chain -just have to pay attention to what the sources are feeding into the BP-25 and not turn up the gain on them.