Help! Cat peed on my 14B...

charmerci

Re: Help! Cat peed on my 14B...
« Reply #40 on: 26 Jun 2016, 04:05 am »
While it's being repaired, you are going to be purchasing something like this, of course!

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #41 on: 26 Jun 2016, 08:04 am »
Wow, people don't like cats.

:idea:
Maybe the cat saw smoke and put out the fire.  It then chewed through the power cord because that was the only way he could cut the power.

:dunno:

I'm sure most people like cats, at least I don't hate them, even after this incident.

Well a cat is just a cat, an animal and can never understand The value of things. Punishing the cat or going mad on my wife will only make the situation even worse...

I'm better off figuring a long term defensive solution. Those hard rubber foot massage matts I found at B&Q are a good start, then I'll move my equipments to a smaller room and lock them away, then maybe make some new ,padded water proof heavy duty nylon covers for everything .

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #42 on: 26 Jun 2016, 09:21 am »

amblin

« Reply #43 on: 26 Jun 2016, 10:18 am »
If your gear is in a separate room, get yourself one of these to keep the cat out: https://www.amazon.com/Graaff-Generator-325KV-Humidity-Control/dp/B000RZKYDQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1466932706&sr=1-3&keywords=van+de+graaff

:green:

Wow this is the exact thing I'm after, so they're called van de Graaff balls... How genius, a static generator!

Thanks a million! An active defense system, can't wait to see it in action.

GentleBender

« Reply #44 on: 26 Jun 2016, 11:33 am »
I love my little furry friend, but she doesn't cause any problems related to audio gear. I'm sure those who posted here would not actually follow through with what they said, at least not fully. Sure would make me upset, but it would fade quickly. You have the best idea to be proactive and come up with a solution that not only protects your equipment, but keeps everyone in the house happy. Maybe your wife will be a little more cautious in the future after this.

srb

« Reply #45 on: 26 Jun 2016, 12:02 pm »
Wow this is the exact thing I'm after, so they're called van de Graaff balls... How genius, a static generator!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #46 on: 26 Jun 2016, 12:06 pm »
I'm sure most people like cats, at least I don't hate them, even after this incident.

Well a cat is just a cat, an animal and can never understand The value of things. Punishing the cat or going mad on my wife will only make the situation even worse...

I'm better off figuring a long term defensive solution. Those hard rubber foot massage matts I found at B&Q are a good start, then I'll move my equipments to a smaller room and lock them away, then maybe make some new ,padded water proof heavy duty nylon covers for everything .

Of course you're right, we were only teasing.  I love animals and would never hurt one intentionally.  You can buy the covers from Digital Deck Covers if you'd rather not have to make them yourself.

amblin

« Reply #47 on: 26 Jun 2016, 08:21 pm »
Of course you're right, we were only teasing.  I love animals and would never hurt one intentionally.  You can buy the covers from Digital Deck Covers if you'd rather not have to make them yourself.

I found some nice water proof nylon at the local fabrics market, similar to those silver curtains in hotels but with faux suede inside, took me quite a while to explain the design but they agreed to make me a double layered pair of covers for $40 and another $10 for the amp cabinet .

Those "foot massage mats" arrived today aswell, actually called 'foot reflexology mats', whatever that is,must be some sort of crazy torturing device because it's absolute agony to stand onto.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #48 on: 26 Jun 2016, 10:25 pm »

Though I'm not certain if a small one will be enough deterrent. They take a few minutes to build up charge, and release when something gets too close. However, once released there isn't much left for a second shock until it has time to charge up again. I also have no idea how these would affect speakers and other electronics nearby.

Funny experiments though, if you leave a generator near an isolated metal object like a doorknob, the doorknob will slowly built up a charge too.

charmerci

« Reply #49 on: 26 Jun 2016, 11:02 pm »

Funny experiments though, if you leave a generator near an isolated metal object like a doorknob, the doorknob will slowly built up a charge too.

So I'm not sure having one near electronic equipment is a good idea.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #50 on: 26 Jun 2016, 11:42 pm »
Not good. Big static buildup on an amp chassis may mess up the internal caps.

amblin

« Reply #51 on: 27 Jun 2016, 07:38 am »

I just wanted a scarecrow effect, one big enough shock and the cats should steer clear of the area the device is placed, even when off and harmless to other electronics.

A friend of my suggested sound activated plastic snakes, which will vibrate and hiss when things get close enough, might be worth a try.

Btw, Still no word from the Dealer on the extent of damage ... They even complimented on the exterior's spotless condition when I took it back.. Yeah, wait till you see the inside  :duh:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #52 on: 27 Jun 2016, 11:04 am »
Fox urine is often used to keep mice away from certain spaces.

But I digress.....   :o

amblin

« Reply #53 on: 27 Jun 2016, 01:26 pm »
Fox urine is often used to keep mice away from certain spaces.

But I digress.....   :o

Now that's too wild lol. I worked in the UK for quite some time and had the chance to see the 'fox urine in a bottle' which they use to train foxhounds, and they told me it's actually avalible for purchase . And wow the smell was... Let's say, overwhelming  :green: 
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2016, 04:06 pm by amblin »

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #54 on: 27 Jun 2016, 02:28 pm »
Not sure what the domesticated cat's natural predator would be (a pissed-off audiophile?  :lol:), so it may be hard to rub some organic secretions on one's gear to elicit avoidance/aversion response in the bugger.

bummrush

« Reply #55 on: 27 Jun 2016, 04:10 pm »
Damn glad i can keep our dogs out of my stereo room.Pets pissing and hair flying in that room is unacceptable. I value that room way to much.

amblin

« Reply #56 on: 30 Jun 2016, 07:47 am »
Unfortunately the damage is quite serious, the AD tried to rescue what they could and replaced damaged parts but the thing still sparks ...

So yeah, the entire PCB will have to be replaced, and the estimate is around $1700 USD plus S&H :duh:  I'm wondering does Bryson keep a record of the original parameters so the replacement board can match the remaining parts?  My serial is 00765...

Guy 13

« Reply #57 on: 30 Jun 2016, 08:13 am »
Unfortunately the damage is quite serious, the AD tried to rescue what they could and replaced damaged parts but the thing still sparks ...

So yeah, the entire PCB will have to be replaced, and the estimate is around $1700 USD plus S&H :duh:  I'm wondering does Bryson keep a record of the original parameters so the replacement board can match the remaining parts?  My serial is 00765...

Amblin, I am sorry to read that the repair of your Bryston is (soooo) expensive.
Of course, a Bryston is like a Mercedes
and when you get a Mercedes repaired it's expensive
a little the same for Bryston equipment.
Of course, it's not always like that, this case is different...
Hopefully your wife will do something about her cat,
so something like that does not (Never) happen again,
that what I wish you.

Guy 13

amblin

« Reply #58 on: 30 Jun 2016, 08:49 am »
Thanks  and I'll get over it, I already convinced myself that blaming the cat will change nothing, all it'll hear is 'blah blah blah blah ,(name) blah blah blah, blah blah' so ... I'm better off doing the sensible thing and put together something that stops the cats from ever getting close to my system again.

At least by replacing the entire PCB I won't have to worry about the build quality not meeting Bryson's standards and compromise the performance....

Amblin, I am sorry to read that the repair of your Bryston is (soooo) expensive.
Of course, a Bryston is like a Mercedes
and when you get a Mercedes repaired it's expensive
a little the same for Bryston equipment.
Of course, it's not always like that, this case is different...
Hopefully your wife will do something about her cat,
so something like that does not (Never) happen again,
that what I wish you.

Guy 13

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #59 on: 30 Jun 2016, 11:41 am »
Amblin, sorry to hear of the expense. What's the time line for the replacement?

I recommend a separate (listening) room for your gear, that is locked when you are not in the house. It's the only way, I think, to avoid this from happening again.