How heavy is the HTC?

ctviggen

How heavy is the HTC?
« on: 26 Nov 2006, 08:49 pm »
I have an idea of putting a center channel in a tray ceiling and "shooting" the CC through some acoustically transparent portion (perhaps the backdrop) of a projector screen toward listeners.  I'd like to know the approximate weight of the HTC in order to determine whether it would be suitable for this application.  Anyone know the approximate weight?  I note that the HTC is sealed, which is great for this application. 

texas steve

Re: How heavy is the HTC?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2006, 10:22 pm »
I have an idea of putting a center channel in a tray ceiling and "shooting" the CC through some acoustically transparent portion (perhaps the backdrop) of a projector screen toward listeners.  I'd like to know the approximate weight of the HTC in order to determine whether it would be suitable for this application.  Anyone know the approximate weight?  I note that the HTC is sealed, which is great for this application. 

Boy good question.  I believe its on the site somewhere, to me it seems about 60# but perhaps someone can chime in.  I use my HTC above the screen (106") angled down, the sound goes though the black perf of the screen.  The HTC sits inside a cavity I created above my stereo gear - send me your email and Ill email you a copy.   The sound is great since it is NOT rear ported.

Papajin

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2006, 11:14 pm »
My shipping box says 61 pounds, so I'd guess a couple pounds under that.

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2006, 03:27 am »
ctviggen -

I weighed an HTC this evening and it was 44 pounds.  If this would work for you, I happen to have a "B-stock" HTC you could possibly save a couple of hundred on.  It is in brand-new condition, but the veneer on one of the side panels was not as nice as we would have liked.  So we built a new cabinet.  We intended to re-veneer this panel, but never got around to it.  Since your's would be out of site, it wouldn't matter. Just a thought...

- Jim

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2006, 02:32 pm »
Thank you, everyone.  Well, I stupidly wrote that email yesterday, whilst I was at work trying to make up time taken off for my wedding and other personal reasons.  I went home and examined my room in more detail, and sadly I do not think that I could pull off a tray/trey ceiling.  This is unfortunate, as it's a great idea that I've seen implemented by people.  It looks great and allows at least the center channel and (in my case) electric screen and amp for the center channel to be hidden.  Unfortunately, the configuration of this particular room won't let me put in such a ceiling. 

Jim, how often do you sell b-stock stuff?  I personally don't care that much about the looks of speakers; I'm more interested in the sound.  I'd take the b-stock now, if I new how I'm going to transfer my system.  I'm definitely going to move everything from one wall (with no sliding glass door) to another (with a sliding glass door) and transfer to long interconnects with monoblocks right near each speaker.  I was thinking of going open baffle, but this type of speaker doesn't work well for the type of configuration I will have (i.e., the center channel will be too close to the sliding glass door and won't have room to "breath").  I love the speakers I have now, but they're simply too massive for the way I'll reconfigure the room.  Thus, I'm on the search for great sounding speakers, and I've heard from friends that the Salks fit this criterion. 

texas steve

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2006, 04:00 pm »
Thus, I'm on the search for great sounding speakers, and I've heard from friends that the Salks fit this criterion. 

Belive me you HAVE found the right place.   Jim's speakers are GREAT! (HT3s and HTC).  I have had people from the Houston Audio Society come by and listen and they were blown away.  Many of them have had much more expensive and massive speakers.   several of them, as a result of listening, have purchased HT3s!

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2006, 05:34 pm »

Jim, how often do you sell b-stock stuff?  I personally don't care that much about the looks of speakers; I'm more interested in the sound. 

It is very seldom I have any.  We build custom and most cabinets come out just fine.  But I could always build a perfect cabinet and then ding it up for you.  :lol:

- Jim

texas steve

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2006, 07:38 pm »

Jim, how often do you sell b-stock stuff?  I personally don't care that much about the looks of speakers; I'm more interested in the sound. 

It is very seldom I have any.  We build custom and most cabinets come out just fine.  But I could always build a perfect cabinet and then ding it up for you.  :lol:
- Jim

Jim, glad to see you still have a good sense of humor (despite the hard labor)!!