Music Afternoon/Evening

Briefremarks

Music Afternoon/Evening
« on: 26 May 2009, 08:39 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I've been reading posts on this circle for a while now but have not yet posted.  John (the Chair Guy) introduced me to this forum.  I've been interested in organizing a music event where we could get a group of us to share an interesting piece of music, perhaps with some introduction of the composition.  It would be an interesting way to discover new music and broaden any musical ruts we may have unconsicously fallen into.

I'd like to arrange this at our offices where I now have my main system (in the business park near Candlestick Park). We have about 3000 sq. ft of open space where the system is setup.  I'll arrange wine/cheese to accompany the music.  The system itself consists of:

- Sony DVP-7700 transport modified by Empirical Audio (purchased from John)
- MSB Platinum DAC III with the new 8X upsampler board (32/352.8)
- Linkwitz Orion ASP
- 4 stereo Parasound Halo A-23 amps
- Linkwitz Orion+ speakers
- Goerts MI-2 speaker cables, and LC-1 interconnects from Blue Jeans Cables

I'd like to present the "Angola Project" CD put out by Howard Wiley.  He has been performing bits of this work at various venues in San Francisco.  A truly extraordinary sax player and composer.

Should I select a day for the event (weekday evening?) and invite everyone?  I'd like to first get some sense of the interest level first.

Thanks again,
Ramesh

galyons

Re: Music Afternoon/Evening
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2009, 09:48 pm »
I would be very interested. Since we are in the summer season, perhaps a weekday evening would be most attractive. The downside to a weekday evening would be commute traffic issues.

Cheers,
Geary

jmanalo

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2009, 06:01 pm »
Since you are using Orion Speaker, you can also try to post it at Orion Forums, there are several Orions owners here in the Bay Area that might be interested.

Link:http://orion.quicksytes.com/viewforum.php?f=1

Joe

Briefremarks

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2009, 11:26 pm »
I was hoping to focus this event on music rather than the system itself.  At least for me, a large part of this event would be the discovery of compositions and musicians that we might otherwise not come across.  With the system I wanted to put together something that would fade into the background and be as unobtrusive as possible. 

Mortsnets

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2009, 02:04 am »
You might want to contact:
The Bay Area Audiophile Society (BAAS)
Bob Walters
bob@baasnotes.com

Berndt

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2009, 05:50 pm »
Ramesh, welcome to the norcal circle.
I think we could scratch a few guys together to invade your space.
There are quiet a few lurkers here and sometimes you just need to grab a date a few weeks out and start working towards a get together.
Be nice to see you consider an analog source?
Regards, Bill

Briefremarks

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2009, 04:36 am »
Hi Berndt,

Thanks for the welcome.  Your suggestion sounds like the best way to do it.  Do you think a weekday evening would be best? I'm pretty flexible on the weekends but not sure about others.  We have a baby grand, and my saxophones, guitars and amps at the space as well if this thing turns into attempting live music.  I did talk with John about trying analog sources.  I'm still waiting to get his critical opinion on 16/44.1 upsampled to "32/352.8".  The new MSB upsampling alogrithm is definitely better than the older algorithm and better than the SRC 24/96 upsampler.

Ramesh

R_burke

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jun 2009, 06:06 pm »
I'm very interested in a music listening event.  Any restrictions on the music, or could we bring anything we consider to be excellent sounding?

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jun 2009, 11:38 pm »
I'm also interested and open as to schedule.

Len

rhing

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2009, 01:40 pm »
Count me in.

Sonny

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2009, 12:24 am »
In am in...just need time and address!

orientalexpress

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2009, 02:53 pm »
i'm in  :thumb:

lapsan

Briefremarks

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2009, 09:30 pm »
OK, I think we have enough interest.  As a first suggestion on date/time I'm suggesting:

Tues June 23 at 7:00 pm. 

The address is:

250 Executive Park Blvd., Suite 2000, San Francisco, CA. 94134.  There's plenty of parking outside the building.  You'll come to the second floor via the stairs on the outside of the building (the main doors are locked at 6:00).  I'll have a cell phone to call on the signs just in case.

I'll have hors d'oeuvres /wine/juices.  We can plan to go until 9:30--although we have the space (since it is our office) for as long as necessary.

I have capabilities to play CDs and .flac/.wav files (with Foobar).  If you have recordings in other formats, you'll have to bring something to play it with.  I might be able to get John E. to loan me a TT for the event.

Wed June 24 that week is also good for me; otherwise it will have to be the week after.

Ramesh

orientalexpress

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2009, 02:28 am »
sweet,if u guy need anything else.lmk i could bring any of my toys.:)

lapsan

TheChairGuy

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2009, 03:06 pm »
I've been in such a whirl of late - I TOTALLY missed this post until Ramesh emailed me (yesterday, I think) :oops:

It's particularly sad as I'm the co-Mod here :oops: :oops: :wink:

I'm not sure that I can make this shindig as I might be in LA that week (certainty = 75% or so right now), but it sounds like a winner.

Maybe Bill Berndt can bring his uber-Empire table over for you to hear if I cannot make it?  I am loaning him my Origin Live Illustrious Mk. II tonearm as his arm is on the fritz....so it should make some splendid music for you to hear.

John

Briefremarks

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jun 2009, 06:26 pm »
Hi John,

Hope you make it--otherwise we'll plan another one.  I need to make use of this space anyway.  On the TT; I do not have a phono-stage yet.  I still have the Classe 6L pre-amp and have pulled it out.  The MSB Platium DAC III also has inputs for a balanced analog line-level signal.  I'll e-mail Berndt separately to coordinate this if he is planning on being here.  Otherwise we'll have to stay with CDs--upsampled, however, to "32/352.8".

Ramesh

Sonny

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jun 2009, 12:24 am »
Ramesh...
If you don't have a phono stage, but do you have a table and if so, what cartridge are you using?  I'd be willing to bring my phono stage, which is set for a low output cartridge.
Let me know

Tuan

Hi John,

Hope you make it--otherwise we'll plan another one.  I need to make use of this space anyway.  On the TT; I do not have a phono-stage yet.  I still have the Classe 6L pre-amp and have pulled it out.  The MSB Platium DAC III also has inputs for a balanced analog line-level signal.  I'll e-mail Berndt separately to coordinate this if he is planning on being here.  Otherwise we'll have to stay with CDs--upsampled, however, to "32/352.8".

Ramesh

Briefremarks

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jun 2009, 06:58 pm »
Hi Tuan,

I do not have a table.  I might be able to get one from John for the event.  I'm not sure how much trouble it is to transport a TT, but the other alternative would be for someone to bring a TT if we are going to listen to vinyl.  I'm certain I'll be equipped to play vinyl the next time we do this.

Ramesh

eweitzman

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2009, 07:38 am »
Tuan should bring his phono preamp even if there's no table. Be sure to have a look inside!

Briefremarks

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jun 2009, 04:50 pm »
All,

A quick reminder that this event will happen.

TUESDAY, JUNE 23, 7:00 PM

THRASYS, INC., 250 EXECUTIVE PARK BLVD., SUITE 2000, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94134

Our offices are in the executive park on the way to Candlestick Park.  There's plenty of parking.  We are on the second floor.  Come up the exterior stairs on the right hand side as you face the building and I'll have doors to our lobby area open.

You can reach me at: (415) 254-5118 if you have any problems.

Ramesh