Another OB design

gitarretyp

Re: Another OB design
« Reply #20 on: 8 Feb 2008, 03:35 pm »
I considered those, but since i'm using them up to ~200Hz, i wanted something i knew would be good in that area. I don't have a lot of faith in those drivers, having never seen any measurements of them.

gitarretyp

« Reply #21 on: 8 Feb 2008, 03:51 pm »
I took a closer look at those madison drivers. Though a pair are higher sensitivity (~2db) than the 165s above 60Hz, the madison's high fs makes them drop like a stone below that. They're output capability is also slightly less than the 165s.

I think you're putting too much stock in the qts parameter. You need to also look at fs.

Norris Wilson

« Reply #22 on: 10 Feb 2008, 12:25 am »
Thanks ttan98 and gitarretyp for your thoughtful insight.

I have not taken the opportunity to use xls and check any drivers as yet.  But, for some reason, I feel the Qts of .35 and FS of 85 for the JBL 2118J drivers will not allow me to reach down to 100Hz without some issues, and possible equalization on an OB.  This alone is making me rethink my choice of drivers, since I am after sonic coherency and efficency.  I feel that the use of a midbass driver below the 2118J midrange is probable.  This midbass region is where I have been stumped, since I want to keep the sytem as simple as possible with little EQ.  I want to use a biamplified configuration with a PSE 2A3 on top, and pro style amp on bottom like the Crown TXI 2000 to drive U baffle subs.

I have an all analog system, and do not want to introduce opamps as the Berhenger uses into the signal path above 100Hz.

At this point, I think I want to keep the 2118J in as the midrange, since I already own them.  With the posibility of coupling them to a pair of Eminence Delta 12B woofers from 150HZ to 200Hz, and Delta 12B from around 70Hz.  I plan to use xls to check all of these drivers before proceeding.  But, will not know how they will work together until I get a prototype built and do some testing.

Any thoughts about this direction, and suggestions of a good 16 ohm midbass driver, using two below the JBL 2118J DE-250 MTM?

Thanks

Norris

ttan98

« Reply #23 on: 10 Feb 2008, 06:56 am »
Norris,

I don't have extensive experience with different kind of drivers and their combinations. I suggest you go to DIYAudio and post there under loudspeaker. Magnetar there has experience in the use of with different kind of drivers. He and others may help you there.

cheers.

scorpion

« Reply #24 on: 14 Apr 2008, 10:01 pm »
ttan98,

I have seen you publishing elsewhere not mentioning DE-10 or M130, what happened to this project ?

/Erling

ttan98

« Reply #25 on: 14 Apr 2008, 10:51 pm »
ttan98,

I have seen you publishing elsewhere not mentioning DE-10 or M130, what happened to this project ?

/Erling

Hi Scorpion thanks for your interest.

I have been putting the M130 and DE-10 on hold and I am going back latter.The 1st reason being the soundstage is too large for the room I am listening in. 2nd reason, it will be a 3-way speaker and I need a 6 channel amp which I haven't build yet.

I have built a 4 channel amp see website:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120954

Hence I am currently concentrating on building and tweaking a 2 way speakers. At first I thought of building something similar to Audiokinesis, Jazz module based on MK's MLTL but the 10" driver tends to be very expensive by the time it reaches me. In hand I have bought a new B&C DE250 and goes very well with RCF H100 horn(intended for Audio Kinesis project), the combo costs US$130per side.The FR is very good and sounds good as well, you can get away with no equalization, there is is a slight peak(2-3db) around 2-3Khz. If you are pedantic, you may want to equalise it.

Cut the long story short, I am building an open baffle based on the config, TWW similar to Emerald Physics, CS2, however my x-over is around 1.7 Khz. The tweeter is based on DE250. Doing the final tweaking now and building the cabinet today. I will post the system once it is ready. Sounds good, large soundstage, dynamic and open, like any OB speakers.  A worthwhile exercise. BTW I have experimented with full range and woofer(2), and MTM and woofer(2), I think the compression and woofer(2) is as good as MTM and woofer. MTM and woofer combo will give a better midrange response and more suitable for a larger room. Full ranger(FE167E) and woofer combo cannot handle power(full range), not very convincing soundwise and soundstage is ok nothing to rave about but the midrange is by far the best of the 3 configs, that's what FE167E excels in.

I hope I have include enough info feel free to comment...

Cheers.

scorpion

« Reply #26 on: 15 Apr 2008, 10:25 am »
ttan98,

Will still be interesting to follow ! Nice amp, I have a stereo pair from Brian myself.

/Erling

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #27 on: 17 Apr 2008, 11:36 am »
gitarretyp,
by the same token, how's your project coming along?