robert1325

Promitheus DAC anyone?
« on: 17 May 2007, 02:39 pm »
So has anyone listened to this DAC?   Looks very nice!  :thumb:

http://www.promitheusaudio.com/dac.htm

1000a

Re: Promitheus DAC anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2007, 04:42 pm »
I believe rollo has one on the way to him (I think the tubed version).
I'm also waiting feedback on this DAC.  Seriously pretty d...  sure it will be incredible :drool:, I should just order it but can not make up my mind, Nick's pieces are in a state of constant upgrades :D.

Feedback from the first owner will make me move, trying to get the TVC and DAC at the same time.  We need to keep this thread on the front page.  This DAC will certainly cause a stir, I think it will completely over shadow the Paradisa :o, lets hope I'm right and @ 340. + shipping.

tanchiro58

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2007, 05:02 pm »
Robert1325 and 1000a,

Nick told me the tube DAC is a slight improvement with tube characteristic of warming sound (just for $765.00 compared to $405.00 included shipping fee). I will keep updating with the SS DAC which is coming next week if rollo has not a chance to listen first. In my opinion the most important components in Promitheus DAC are once again the C-core output transformers which will be amazing and astonishing since I never listened to any DACs so far with this type of trannies.

Tan

NotoriousBIG_PJ

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2007, 05:06 pm »
I'm ordering one for my computer with usb. My current cd player was modded to use a transformer based analogue stage to great effect, so I'm hoping the promitheus dac will sound good.

What type of tubes does the tubed version use? The website lacks any information on it.

Biggie.

1000a

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2007, 05:14 pm »
Tan

is the C core definitely in this DAC?
is yours due next week w C core trans?
is yours gonna be the SS DAC?
and Rollo's the tubed version?

thanks,

robert1325

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2007, 05:15 pm »
Didn't know the Promitheus DAC used C-core output transformers,  thought they where M60 or something ...   This makes me even more excited ! From what I've read about C-cores so far.  The tubed dac is a bit to expensive for my liking , 'this dac might replace my Bolder Squeezebox 2 if it's good enough :thumb:

I'm looking forward to yours and rollo's comments!  

NotoriousBIG_PJ

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2007, 05:55 pm »
The website says "This output transformer is wound on a M6 core".

Biggie.

gooberdude

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2007, 06:01 pm »
From what i've heard Nick is now experimenting with C cores & others....if the current models use M6 that might change soon.

Nick is all about bang for the buck.  Seems like now he's heading right into the 'Bang' category now though!  a good thing for sure.

1000a

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2007, 06:07 pm »
CC  CCcooore look what you've done to me....... :lol:

tanchiro58

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2007, 06:44 pm »
What type of tubes does the tubed version use? The website lacks any information on it.

Nick told me and he always likes Russian 6N1P (equivalent to 6922 or 7308 tubes) since it has neutral sounding and maintains sonic signature of the DAC. If you have tube DAC you can roll tubes with more excitment especially if your gears are all solid states. :thumb:

is yours due next week w C core trans?

1000a,

I am sorry for making mistake to tell you my DAC has C-core output transformer. They are wounded only on M6 core with 0.05mm laminate. That is good enough for now since C-core costs more for the labor. I am excited to compare to my existing DAC too.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2007, 07:22 pm by tanchiro58 »

NotoriousBIG_PJ

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2007, 08:05 pm »
Will C-core output transformers be an upgrade option?

Biggie.

1000a

« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2007, 03:18 am »
Biggie

here is a link to a comment on that, also a good thread to follow on Nick's stuff.  see rollos coments on the page, also if you keep abreast of his posts it is helpful cause he is the person who seems to know the most and is even going to visit Nick in a week or so.

i am also hoping for a C core in the DAC, I do not change gear often (had my used birdland DAC since 2002, and it is still quite good) and once i do I just forget the upgrade stuff, other than DIY things.  So when I buy componets I want to make sure i am making a substantial improvement.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=31621.msg366754;topicseen#new

1000a

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2007, 04:44 pm »
anybody got theirs yet?   :drool:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2007, 11:27 pm »
Hey Guys,
                  The DAC uses M6 cores which are very good and priced right. The "C" core trannies will be utilized in a new line of components which will be a announced when all testing is complete and the line is finalized.
                I can only imagine what Nicholas has up his sleeve. The base products as we know them perform well above their price range. With a possible Statement series with the best parts available and Nicholas' expertise in circuit design I can't wait. I am especially interested in the GM70 SET amp and DAC. Deihavilland sells their GM70 amp for $10,000+ and Lamm for $126,000!   The Promitheus line will most likely be more expensive then we are used too form them as the parts are, but knowing Nicholas the price will be fair. Not like the others.
                The future looks bright at Promitheus. Let the Sun shine in.

rollo

1000a

« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2007, 06:26 am »
Who has ordered (if you'd let us know) and are waiting for a Promi DAC to arrive either SS ot tubed?  Are we (and me) all waiting each others feed back and no one has ordered one?   :scratch:

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2007, 07:09 am »
There are few who had order the dac.

and we are in the midst of working on them. I hope to get them out at the end of this week

From there, i hope to hear back what other thing about it

Cheers
Nicholas

robert1325

« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2007, 05:23 pm »
Has anyone ordered it with the USB option?   It would be great to compare  USB vs a good transport...

Looking forward to your impressions!   I might order one for my movie sound.

tanchiro58

« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2007, 06:00 pm »
Hi Promitheus Fans,

I have ordered a SS DAC but Nick told me he just have an engraving tool or machine and wants to engrave his company name on my DAC. Nick said that my Promitheus SS DAC will be shipped out this week but he did not inform what day(?). So I am still waiting for it. Will let you guys know after it is breaking in. Please be patient. aa

Tan

highdfever

« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2007, 03:48 pm »
Me too,  I have ordered the Apollo and SS Dac,   same as you guys,  still waiting and will compare with my heavily modified GG preamp and Lite Dac 50 later.

Andis

Thelonious Monk

« Reply #19 on: 27 May 2007, 10:30 pm »
we should change the topic title to "promitheus dac, everyone?"  :wink: