New Burson Fun Headphone Class A Amp...Some comparisons...

adydula

• Restricted
Re: New Burson Fun Headphone Class A Amp...Some comparisons...
« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2019, 01:09 am »
I finally received the Burson V6 Vivid op amps and have several days of listening and comparing these to Bursons V6 Classics. Two totally different sound presentations.

With the Senn HD600's I prefer the Vivids over the Classics, there is a really good pairing here.....that "Veil" we all talk about is once again removed or pushed back so very well that the V-shaped sound signature I hear makes most music I listen to come across as transparent and alive. Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Eva Cassidy are to die for good. There is a point when you crank up the volume with these Vivids the soundstage is like in and outside of you head....the music becomes very alive and wide.

The Classics are just more laid back, good but not as good as the Vivids in the presentation. With the Beyers T90 and T1 the classics are laid back, smooth and not harsh or trebly...they actually tame the T90's somewhat for me and make them very listenable with a wide variety of music. The vivids make the T1's come alive in away that makes them (mine are the second version) more like the original version.

I went back and relistened with the original op amps and the Sparkos SS3601's and my leaning is towards the V6 Vivids for sure. They just make things "pop" and are light saber articulate. The Sparkos are close to the Vivid sound but the Vivids beat out the Sparkos in the three dimensional aspect. They are that good to me.

These discrete op amps cost about $70, the FUN is a $299 amp, and it has been on sale for $199 in the past few months. The Vivids are on Massdrop as well from time to time as are the Classics.

Burson is sending me their Bang Class AB speaker amp that needs a preamp for volume control and I will use the Fun to Drive it and see how well it plays with my Dennis Murphy Modded Pioneeer Desktop Speakers as well as my Salk SongTowers. This shouls be a FUN experiment.

Alex

OzarkTom

« Reply #21 on: 21 May 2019, 01:40 am »
The Bang amp is now my favorite.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 16 Jun 2019, 03:06 pm »
FYI...

For those that did not see this I just posted my experience with the Burson Bang being driven with the Burson FUN as a preamp:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164306.0

Alex

DavidS

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jun 2019, 10:52 pm »
I have been using my Fun less for headphones since acquiring a Liquid Platinum.

What I have been using it for though is as a preamp, replacing a $2K tube preamp when the weather is hot.  It is a damn fine preamp - I am always amazed at how close some affordable gear gets when fed good quality before and after.  Very nice clear detailed sound with well recorded music - can be a little harsh with poorly recorded stuff (yesterday King Crimson was making my ears hurt, not today with Bill Callahan new one though) that tube preamp does better job smoothing out.  Using sparkos - not sure if they are even burned in / probably just. 

Through summer will probably get a lot more time in main rig - Lumin to Lampizator to Fun to Mivera Amp to LS50s.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2019, 12:36 am »
Hi David...

Good to hear from you....how long have you had your liquid platinum?

Sounds like its a pretty neat piece of gear!

Alex

DavidS

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jun 2019, 03:41 pm »
have had the Liquid Platinum for a couple of months - nice match for my Atticus headphones and definite step up from the Fun in pretty much every way.  Would be interesting to compare to older Cavalli tube amps - have read it gets pretty close for $500ish.  Haven't gone down the tube rolling path - kind of like it the way it is but this is another path to explore more nervosa.

Have Rodrigo y Gabriela playing this morning - kind of cool a 20 minute version of Echoes a Pink Floyd song, these guys can play the guitar.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 20 Jun 2019, 01:24 pm »
Good Morning David...

The FUN has impressed me for its capablities etc...

I liie the ability to open it up and try different op amps....without voiding the warranty!

Lately after building the T2 amp, I did a comparsion of the two and I lean slightly over to the T2.

It has a very open, clean , wide soundstage....and this is from a less than $150 investment.

I have Jriver playing in a random mode across my thousands of songs, its neat in that I never know whats coming up next!

..and this way I get to hear things I havent heard in years....and what a difference in the recording qualities!

All the best to you in Victoria BC, beautiful part of the world!

Alex