New and wanting a Raven Blackhawk Amp

harleyujoe

New and wanting a Raven Blackhawk Amp
« on: 13 Feb 2019, 02:18 pm »
At 67 yr old never had a tube amp.. I have tinnitus pretty bad and for 28 yrs had Mirage M-5 speakers .. They were like old shoes and did not want to let them go.
So had chance to purchase Definitive techogoly BP 8080ST speaker few weeks ago.. And OMG I could not believe what I was hearing .I use a Marantz SR8002 for last 12 yrs.
And the Marantz and the new 8080 st speakers were allowing me to hear 3D .. I thought it was my hearing and not the M-5 speakers ..I was wrong.

so now I am looking for a Raven Blackhawk for my first tube Amp...
So wanted to say hello and any one with tinnitus if you think you hearing is bad go out and test speakers to make sure not your hearing but speakers may be on way out.

Any one know of Raven Blackhawk for sale???thank you Joe

Little about me I am more a  cycle / auto person and into 3 wheel cycle cars and music comes in during fall and winter for me.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New and wanting a Raven Blackhawk Amp
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2019, 07:49 pm »
Welcome Joe :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2019, 09:04 pm »
Welcome to AC!

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2019, 09:07 pm »
Don't forget to try looking here: https://www.hifishark.com/

Just saw the Raven room at the Florida Audio Expo.  Really nice stuff.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2019, 09:24 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Joe   :thumb:  Good to hear your hearing is better than you thought.  8)

Norman Tracy

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2019, 09:40 pm »
Welcome to AC Joe!

Raven is a great idea to go with your Definitive Technologies. Because Raven is a Texas based company they are very generous with providing amps to exhibitors at Lone Star Audio Fest. As a result over the past three years I have heard them with many different speakers and front ends and the results are always wonderful.

Tell us more about your 3 wheel cycle cars. I encountered the Can-Am Ryker at a recent show and its the subject of my 2019 Spring Bike Lust.

harleyujoe

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2019, 10:23 pm »
My 3 wheel auto cycles are a custom Slingshot and a Vanderhall Venice I made a few custom parts for.

« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2019, 01:06 am by harleyujoe »

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2019, 11:33 pm »
Hello Joe and welcome to AC.  I just wanted to follow up on what Norman said in his post. Raven Audio will be at Lone Star with their new MK3 Nighthawk, Blackhawk and Osprey. (Shown in Norman's post). If you are able to attend the event, you will be able to audition these amplifiers as well as speak directly to the owner of Raven.

Disclaimer: Associated with Raven Audio

harleyujoe

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2019, 11:59 pm »
I live in NJ and will not be able to attend... My wife is upset with me purchasing a new Vandrhall Model Carmel and let alone a tube Amp...LOL
but you only live once..

harleyujoe

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2019, 12:19 am »

This is the Vanderhall Venice I owned and just sold to purchase the Vanderhall Carmel that has easier access with doors.

harleyujoe

« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2019, 12:47 am »
Thank You all for the Welcome Here..

With the tinnitus I am nervous that I will not hear any more than I do with my new Definitive Tech BP 8080 st speakers with my Marantz SR8002..
I was thinking of going cheap and buy a new Cayin A 88 T for 2 grand and trying it but afraid I will hear more and then wonder if I should have just
spent the 4200 to get Blackhawk..Oh My I hate decisions..

But I called Raven today and if I order they will send me a Nighthawk to see if I can hear more musical separation and if not pleased I can send it
back for refund and if I am hearing more than they will send the Blackhawk Mk iii out..

So this way I get to hear tube for first time in my home where you get to feel the real deal and not in store setting room...

So going to talk to Dave about tube selection with the music I listen to and take his advice on this..

Will let you know in few weeks what I experience..Thank You for the Welcome here..Joe

Norman Tracy

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2019, 09:32 pm »
Joe,

You're going to love Raven Audio amps and the people behind the company.

Regarding your cycle cars I can sum up my reaction in three words. Want so badly.

Yours have come quite far from this example I saw in a private collection I was allowed to tour a few years ago.

harleyujoe

« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2019, 12:59 am »

thank You Norman..It arrives Wednesday ..
And can not wait to hear tube sound in my own living room..

Now I see that wagon you posted and taking the rear wheels off and putting that fifth
wheel in the center and now having a antique 3 wheeler..

and I like the trailer in background..

Will let you know what I hear..Joe.    pictures of new one ordered