MM Cartridge loading question

gurevise

« on: 16 Dec 2003, 02:52 am »
Guys,
I'm working on Cornet phono and at this time I don't have any high quality 47k resistors. They used at the input to load cartridge.
I have precision DALE 62k resistor.
So here is my question:
What would happen if I load my cartridge (MM Sure V15) with 62k instead of 47k?

Thanks
Sergey
Dayton, OH
USA

Romy the Cat

« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2003, 04:11 am »
Sergey,

I hate to tell it but it might be too complex to answer it “over the phone”. Some of the MM does “better” into 47K. However, many of them are capacitance sensitive. Some people prefer to tune them by dropping the impedance and get rid of all capacitance (except of what you already have in a cable). However, there are many other variables evolved: the HF capacity of your playback system, the mechanics dumping and its topology you use for your arm, the correctness of the cartridge/arm matching (or the intentional mismatching) and many others issues. No mater what, the 62K is MOSTLY too high valley unless you have a single driver loudspeaker… :-) There are the famous digammas indicating the MM roll-off form the R and C but frankly they give just blur picture as they do not address many other auditable qualities that get changed with change of the loading. I might propose that 30 seconds of listing of a good contralto at a fierily high volume should suggest you the direction to go with your loading…

Rgs,
Romy the caT

hagtech

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2003, 05:18 am »
There are some carts that like to be lightly loaded, and I'm thinking the V15 is one of them.  Memory fading, but I did once make a Trumpet with 100k loading for a customer.  Might have been this cart.

62k is not much higher than 47k to make a big difference.  To me, I hear it in the sibilants of a female voice.  Too much sometimes.  If so, bring the loading down.  Go in increments of root-2 (same as 47k to 62k).

jh :)