Very quiet fans

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Very quiet fans
« on: 11 Jun 2016, 05:53 pm »
Until I buy and install some ceiling fans, I am looking to add a couple of small fans around the house.

They can be a standup or a smaller one that goes on a stand or table.  Not looking to cool a huge area, just near beds or a couch or two for some fairly direct cooling.

The key is that he fan needs to be as quiet as possible.

Dyson is out.  The model I bought for one of my sons sounds like a jet engine when it pushes enough air to be effective.

George

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Very quiet fans
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2016, 09:20 pm »
No idea about regular fans but when you look into ceiling fans look into the Big Ass Fans and click on home.  If the design suites your style they're amazing.  I used to have multiple of the very large 24'. 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2016, 09:23 pm »
No idea about regular fans but when you look into ceiling fans look into the Big Ass Fans and click on home.  If the design suites your style they're amazing.  I used to have multiple of the very large 24'.

Already on the radar screen.

They are quite expensive, but really do do work.

George

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2016, 09:31 pm »
Already on the radar screen.

They are quite expensive, but really do do work.

George
Yep, you get what you pay for.   ;)

werd

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2016, 01:23 am »
It's like trying to find a silent flushing toilet.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2016, 01:29 am »
It's like trying to find a silent flushing toilet.

Biolet 10 Waterless Toilet, it has a quiet fan too.

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2016, 10:11 am »
Yep, you get what you pay for.   ;)

In this house, I've installed 5 ceiling fans and replaced one.  I took a look at those fans, and I couldn't see spending over $1,000 for one, when I can get a super incredibly nice (and nice looking) fan for $450 or so, and get the rest to match themselves for 200-250.  We put the $450 fan in the master bedroom, and it's a great fan:  quiet and moves a lot of air, and looks fantastic (way nicer than the Big Ass Fans, in my opinion). 

As for fans for getting outside air into the house, I generally use cheap box fans and put them in the windows.  They're loud even on low, but they do the job.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2016, 10:37 am »

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2016, 11:40 am »

Well played Jerry.   :beer:

George

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2016, 12:24 pm »
In this house, I've installed 5 ceiling fans and replaced one.  I took a look at those fans, and I couldn't see spending over $1,000 for one, when I can get a super incredibly nice (and nice looking) fan for $450 or so, and get the rest to match themselves for 200-250.  We put the $450 fan in the master bedroom, and it's a great fan:  quiet and moves a lot of air, and looks fantastic (way nicer than the Big Ass Fans, in my opinion). 

As for fans for getting outside air into the house, I generally use cheap box fans and put them in the windows.  They're loud even on low, but they do the job.

Actually, I've installed 6 ceiling fans and replaced one.  Installed two in the in-law, one in an extra room (attaches to the in-law), and three in bedrooms.  Replaced one in the master bedroom.  In my previous house, I replaced two ceiling fans (one, I had to replace the whole box), and added two in two bedrooms.  So, that's 11 ceiling fans in total. 

Also, one thing I've looked into is a whole house fan.  These push air from the house into the attic.  You have to open the windows to get the air in.  They make some new ones that are much quieter than previous versions and also have a high amount of R value.  It's definitely an option, as it's often cool enough outside but hot in the house. I haven't decided to do this as of yet, as I will be insulating the attic and basement, and that might make as much difference.  Additionally, we're going to try to block some of the sun on the south-facing windows to prevent/reduce heat gain.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2016, 12:51 pm »
Bob,

Thanks for the thoughts on ceiling fans.

While we disagree on the looks of the BigAss fans (I like it and it fits with the style and decor of our house), I do agree that ceiling fans are great.

In my previous house we had 8 Casablanca fans installed.  They worked well and were relatively quiet.

George